Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sad news

Smeggypants
Posted 27/01/2014 - 01:07 Link
I can't recall having much discourse with Generator on the forum, but it's obviously a truly tragic and sad event, so RIP Generator.

Shame such a sad thread is ruined by the following patronising lecture ...

davidstorm wrote:

Finally and most importantly is what we should all learn from this. We should never post offensive personal comments about anyone, we should never make assumptions about the meaning of the written word as we do not understand the context of what was behind the writing, we should never make judgements about anyone without knowing all of the facts. Sadly, there are numerous occasions where some members have ignored these principles,......

... that has used someone's tragic death to have a dig at members of this forum.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Gravelrash
Posted 27/01/2014 - 02:36 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I can't recall having much discourse with Generator on the forum, but it's obviously a truly tragic and sad event, so RIP Generator.

davidstorm wrote:

Finally and most importantly is what we should all learn from this. We should never post offensive personal comments about anyone, we should never make assumptions about the meaning of the written word as we do not understand the context of what was behind the writing, we should never make judgements about anyone without knowing all of the facts. Sadly, there are numerous occasions where some members have ignored these principles,......

... that has used someone's tragic death to have a dig at members of this forum.

I think david is possibly feeling a great deal of anguish after being a little more in-the-know than the rest of us. I'm so very sorry for your pain in this tragic story DS. I hope that all those that knew Richard can find some peace and comfort in the near future. Sounds like the world is a little worse off after the passing of a talented man.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Jim-w
Posted 27/01/2014 - 04:45 Link
Rest in peace Richard.

Well said Gravelrash......+1

Jim.
MattMatic
Posted 27/01/2014 - 07:04 Link
Very sad news indeed
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Papa_Lazarou
Posted 27/01/2014 - 08:46 Link
RIP Richard. Sad news indeed.
McBrian
Posted 27/01/2014 - 09:09 Link
Very sad news, RIP.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Roscoe
Posted 27/01/2014 - 16:55 Link
Very sad new indeed,one hopes he's now at peace!
RalphHardwick
Posted 27/01/2014 - 17:30 Link
I didn't know him and now, sadly, I never will. It is always difficult to find any words that don't sound trite or like a cliche. I hope his family and friends can find a way through the coming weeks.

David, thanks for your insight and for such a thoughtful, relevant and well worded post.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
Edited by RalphHardwick: 27/01/2014 - 17:31
Stuey
Posted 27/01/2014 - 19:24 Link
RIP Richard
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 27/01/2014 - 19:50 Link
I'm sorry to hear this, it sounds like it was very tough at the end. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Edited by Jonathan-Mac: 27/01/2014 - 19:50
DrOrloff
Posted 27/01/2014 - 20:09 Link
I add my condolences. A forum is a strange entity, a place for masks and alter egos, misconceptions and misjudgements. My sympathies are for Richard, about whom I knew nothing, not for Generator who was a mere work of fiction.
Edited by DrOrloff: 27/01/2014 - 20:10
fritzthedog
Posted 27/01/2014 - 20:10 Link
A tragedy - my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Cliff-P
Posted 27/01/2014 - 20:35 Link
Sorry to hear this sad news RIP Richard.
Cliff.

My Flickr link
Nikon D750, D7000 , Nikkor 80-400, 70-300 and 18-200 lenses
davidstorm
Posted 27/01/2014 - 23:12 Link
Smeggypants wrote:

Sadly, this is about as bad as it gets. I really tried to post something respectful and also let everyone know the truth as there were assumptions that were being made by people who knew nothing about the truth of what was going on at the time. There were even suggestions in the thread that Richard was in fact a front for another well known Forum member; this was just too ridiculous for words. I thought it important that everyone understood why Richard did what he did and I do not apologise in the slightest for what I wrote because it was from the heart and had no hidden agenda or bad intent. What I wrote was not 'a patronising lecture', it was my honest thoughts that we should respect others and not take at face value what we read when we do not know what is behind it. I do however regret writing it purely because of the single insensitive response.

I feel very sorry that Smeggy has written this, I was upset by Richard's death, I was upset at the time of the thread I referred to because of what people were writing (at the time I could say nothing) and I have been upset by more bad news today about another of our fellow photographers taken ill. I am however grateful for the support of the vast majority of contributors to this thread who have posted sincere and sympathetic messages.

Best regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Opethian
Posted 27/01/2014 - 23:56 Link
RIP Generator.

As someone who has a lot of experience with people breaking down, I can somehow relate to the situation.

A human being can only take so much before it breaks.

Hope he found the peace he needed before passing.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.