Rumours or fact?


Hardgravity

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 08:29
Anvh wrote:
rparmar wrote:
Since rumours feed people who repeat the rumours, the fact that two or more sources say the same thing is not significant.

I mean almost precisely the same on this site in one comment.
Edit: The same thread I mean.

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/rumor-of-pentax-k5-----19700/p-0

This statement was from a shop owner who sells Pentax, rates Pentax kit as among the best and has no reason to repeat any untruths.

I haven't had chance to talk to a second source about this but am only passing on what was said.

As Photokina is around the corner, so to speak, it will soon be proven, or not, as fact.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 08:53
Posted on other Pentax site this morning.

PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)
- ISO 25600
- 7 frames per sec
- • 139,000 ($1625 )
- announcement on September 20
- Released in mid-October

PENTAX KR:
- 12 million pixels
- 6 frames per sec
- 10 color of body and 12 color grip, as the combination 120 colours
- 74,800 yen ($875)
- Released in mid-October
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 22/08/2010 - 08:54

Hardgravity

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 10:08
Thanks Mike.

I said it was a good source my info came from.

Looks like the K-5 is the new flagship model and the Kr will sit between the Kx and K7
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 22/08/2010 - 10:10

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 10:17
It's still not official so could be total bull.

Apart from a different sensor and a couple more fps the K-5 doesnt look much better than the K-7.

If they have upgraded the AF system then it will be on my shopping list .. if not then I will get the K10D fixed, sell the K-7 and the majority of my Pentax lenses.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Shaky

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 10:38
Mike-P wrote:
Posted on other Pentax site this morning.

PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)
- ISO 25600
- 7 frames per sec
- • 139,000 ($1625 )
- announcement on September 20
- Released in mid-October

Interesting, thanks for posting.

A quick 5 minute trawl via Google suggests some speculation in the Sony community that a similar sounding sensor will have autofocus HD video capabilities.

If that turns out to be the case, Iím probably in.

Any word on an EVIL?

Anvh

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 11:03
Shaky wrote:
A quick 5 minute trawl via Google suggests some speculation in the Sony community that a similar sounding sensor will have autofocus HD video capabilities.

But AF isn't in the sensor though.
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Shaky

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 11:04
Hmmmm.

Reading on perhaps either the K5 or KR has an electronic viewfinder?

Or both?

Shaky

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 11:07
Anvh wrote:
Shaky wrote:
A quick 5 minute trawl via Google suggests some speculation in the Sony community that a similar sounding sensor will have autofocus HD video capabilities.

But AF isn't in the sensor though.

The sensor obvisously needs the capability (fast data pipes) but you are right.

However, the word in Sony-land appears to be that they are preparing this for launch in imminent A series models. And if they have a nifty little third-party package they could offer it to Pentax.

Who knows?

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 11:08
The K-7 had AF video capability to start with didn't it?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Anvh

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 11:39
Shaky wrote:
The sensor obvisously needs the capability (fast data pipes) but you are right.

But if it has video it can do it off course. it just need the firmware to do AF contrast so Pentax has to do it themselves.

Mike-P wrote:
The K-7 had AF video capability to start with didn't it?

Yes indeed, the pre production model had it.
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 22/08/2010 - 11:41

rparmar

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 14:12
Just to be clear, my previous statement was not meant to disparage you, HG, just to make a general point that people should bear in mind.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 14:12
According to 'net rumours both K-5 and Kr have proper view finders, there's a third EVIL body in the pipe line as well.

Pentax badged NX?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 22/08/2010 - 14:13

Shaky

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 15:01
Anvh wrote:
But if it has video it can do it off course. it just need the firmware to do AF contrast so Pentax has to do it themselves

If it were merely a question of firmware (read software), donít you think Pentax would have got it working on the K7 by now, regardless of the sensor overheating issues?

What I was getting at, is that it seems to me if Sony are supplying a brand spanking new sensor to Pentax not yet on the market but due to be released in a K5 in October, then they are also highly likely to have substantially supplied the hardware side of the image processing engine and probably also large chunks of the software.

However, I may be getting ahead of myself, since the Sony chatter mentions a phase detection autofocus system, which probably necessitates an EVIL design.

Shaky

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 15:59
Shaky wrote:
However, I may be getting ahead of myself, since the Sony chatter mentions a phase detection autofocus system, which probably necessitates an EVIL design.

Perhaps Pentax are also licensing this technology:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=33849867

Anvh

Link Posted 22/08/2010 - 17:00
Shaky wrote:
Anvh wrote:
But if it has video it can do it off course. it just need the firmware to do AF contrast so Pentax has to do it themselves

If it were merely a question of firmware (read software), donít you think Pentax would have got it working on the K7 by now, regardless of the sensor overheating issues?

Yes, contrast AF is merely software. It's a program that analyse a part of the photo and try to get the most contrast by focusing the lens. It's already used in liveview, compacts and evil cameras.
The problem is you need a processor fast enough to render the film and run the AF contrast program reliable, also that they can't detect if it's front focused or back focused so they can't track, maybe that's one of the reasons they aren't use?
The only thing the sensor has to do is deliver the images for the program to analyse, I don't see why that would be sensor bound or put extra strain on the sensor so it would overheat.

The preproduction firmware of the K7 actually had AF while filming but they removed it for some reasons.
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 22/08/2010 - 17:01
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.