riverside mono

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 16:32
some riverside images for your perusal. C&C welcome.

Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery

hefty1

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 16:59
I like the second one very much, but as I'm not a fan of black and white I can't help feeling it'd look so much better in colour. Actually, the third one's nice too, were 2 & 3 different crops from the same photo?
Joining the Q

hefty1

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 17:00
On closer inspection I've answered my own question - no they're not, the angle's slightly different. Still like to see them in colour though...
Joining the Q

gartmore

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 18:07
hefty1 wrote:
I like the second one very much, but as I'm not a fan of black and white I can't help feeling it'd look so much better in colour. Actually, the third one's nice too, were 2 & 3 different crops from the same photo?

I'm an enormous fan and obsessive B+W photographer and I agree with Hefty that they might be much better in colour, I'm afraid.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 18:13
Just for you Hefty

Please call me aj,

Hyram

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 18:24
Sorry but I also prefer the colour versions.

Otherwise I think that you end up with shades of grey and for me shades of green are more appealing
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

hefty1

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 18:35
Now that's MUCH better - I'd be happy to hang the first one on my wall!
Joining the Q

Gwyn

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 18:49
I have to say I like the colour ones better too. Somehow the mono ones are a bit flat, not enough contrast in there, where as the fresh greens in the colour ones just sing out spring.

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 19:33
Thanks for the opinions so far, keep it coming peeps!
Please call me aj,

Keith Grant

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 19:51
Gwyn wrote:
Somehow the mono ones are a bit flat, not enough contrast in there, where as the fresh greens in the colour ones just sing out spring.

Exactly what I was going to say, Gwyn and AJ. While the range of colors is lovely, they are all in the same tonal range, and lacking in a certain drama (too flat) which works best in mono. (I'm so novice - I hope that's coming across how I mean it! '' )
Keith

K100D Super, DA 18-55, M 50 1.4, M 100 4 Macro

"The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of color-patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated." ~ Annie Dillard

xbow

Link Posted 07/05/2008 - 19:54
Another vote for the colour versions - lovely shades of green!

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 08/05/2008 - 07:40
Keith Grant wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Somehow the mono ones are a bit flat, not enough contrast in there, where as the fresh greens in the colour ones just sing out spring.

Exactly what I was going to say, Gwyn and AJ. While the range of colors is lovely, they are all in the same tonal range, and lacking in a certain drama (too flat) which works best in mono. (I'm so novice - I hope that's coming across how I mean it! '' )

Sorry Keith, I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are greens too flat in the colour or too flat in the mono?
Please call me aj,

Keith Grant

Link Posted 08/05/2008 - 14:01
Hey AJ,

In color, the greens (and the browns of the rocks) are great, but when flipped into mono, the subtle differences between them don't translate, as 2 or 3 different greens may end up being more or less the same shade of grey.

I wonder if mono might work better in those shots a) at a time of day when the light was less bright/harsh, or b) with a dramatic sky?

I'll tell you one thing, though, the pictures you take around your place make me want to visit and do some hiking!

Cheers!
Keith

"The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of color-patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated." ~ Annie Dillard

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 10/05/2008 - 00:00
Keith Grant wrote:
Hey AJ,

In color, the greens (and the browns of the rocks) are great, but when flipped into mono, the subtle differences between them don't translate, as 2 or 3 different greens may end up being more or less the same shade of grey.

I wonder if mono might work better in those shots a) at a time of day when the light was less bright/harsh, or b) with a dramatic sky?

I'll tell you one thing, though, the pictures you take around your place make me want to visit and do some hiking!

Cheers!

Thanks for the clarification, it makes more sense now.

As for visiting the area, bring your mountain bike, this is the world famous Afan forest park. I'll give you a guided tour.
Please call me aj,

Keith Grant

Link Posted 10/05/2008 - 14:18
I may take you up on the offer someday! I've only been to Oxford and the Midlands, and would love to get to Wales. Hay on Wey's bookshops will be on the list, after hiking in your parks! (Have you ever done some photos at HonW?)

BTW, I took a quick look at the Alan Forest website out of curiosity, and they could benefit from some of your photos!!

Peace to you, AJ,
Keith

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.