review k1

stu62
Posted 30/04/2016 - 20:22 Link
if memory serves me right did a slr have a mirror
A / yes
so am i right in saying then that in principal there is only 3 companys making dslr
Algernon
Posted 30/04/2016 - 21:10 Link
No Sony make them as well.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
RobL
Posted 01/05/2016 - 07:46 Link
Algernon wrote:
The K-1 is already the 10th best selling camera in Japan......

http://s.kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/

Probably online sales only.

--
Make that the fifth!
K10D
Posted 01/05/2016 - 07:52 Link
Just a question. Which Sony cameras have a reflex mirror that moves before and after taking a shot? My wife uses an Alpha 99 and that's not a DSLR even though it has a mirror.

The first images from the K-1 that I've seen look good. I didn't expect them not to. For the early adopters, reviews are now pointless. Those that are on the fence will eventually fall toward a purchase.

Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Edited by K10D: 01/05/2016 - 07:56
McGregNi
Posted 01/05/2016 - 09:13 Link
Some have come and gone, like the Samsung models, but by my understanding of the definition of 'DSLR' we're back to the core 3 of Canon, Nikon and Pentax.

What's most encouraging at this stage is that the K1 looks likely to sell with some decent unit numbers, and not just a niche item for a few die-hards dusting off their ancient Takumars ....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Algernon
Posted 01/05/2016 - 09:52 Link
Sony still have the old Minolta mount lenses which they are promising to support. The A99 is supposed to be out of production this summer. The replacement(s) could include a DSLR although no one has suggested that.

The A6300 (APS-C) doesn't have in body SR making it pretty useless for old lenses. So not aimed at the DSLR market.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 01/05/2016 - 09:56
ronniemac
Posted 01/05/2016 - 12:37 Link
McGregNi wrote:
'...who choose to afford to pay ...' Clever phrasing there, and I suspect it relates more to the truth than the usual 'can/can't afford it'. Financial situations very widely of course, but in these days of easy credit it is usually the case that we can have what we want, if we are prepared to increase debt for it or increase the period of time until we may be debt free ...

(well that's the reality of bringing up a family in Greater London on a single income anyway). It's about deciding priorities for me, and can it be justified balanced against overwhelming other needs.

Lets face it, most on here who can just buy a K1 from scratch, the early adopters, as well as keep a collection of glass that's worthwhile on full frame, are those who've worked their careers , paid the mortgage and the bills already, and were lucky to live in a time when their pension has built up enough.

They shouldn't mind the job of being the unpaid reviewers and testers for the rest of us, who one day might decide to choose to afford a K1
Good post Nigel. Having been in a similar situation a few years back, not able to afford a DSLR let alone a FF DSLR, the MX served me well.

Hang on in there, some day you will be in a better position to get the K-1 and will benefit from having it having been tried and tested, but of course your lovely family are more than compensation for all the cameras you could ever wish for.

Anyway you get more out of your K-7 that I do out of later models.

Back on topic:

It's good to read the Ephotozine review, but it is more a review of specification than of field performance. Good to see the sample photos with different lenses. Hopefully in time the review will be appended with testing dynamic range, focus performance, and what it's like to live and work with etc.

To date, most reviews are very positive about the K-1, however something went wrong in Hong Kong which lead to Digital Rev writing an atrocious review which says more about their ignorance and surliness than the camera's performance. Until now, although sometimes idiotic for the sake of entertainment, their reviews have been quite balanced, but not any more, not this one. DigitalRev, your dumped!

Their name now goes on my list of untrusted reviewers:
1. - Ken Rockwell
2. - Photo Universe
3. - DigitalRev

Avoid these three like the plague!
Edited by ronniemac: 01/05/2016 - 12:38
philstaff
Posted 01/05/2016 - 15:26 Link
I quite enjoy photo universe to be honest.
Regards Ian
RobL
Posted 01/05/2016 - 15:38 Link
philstaff wrote:
I quite enjoy photo universe to be honest.
Regards Ian
I do too, but just wish he would get on with it! The K-1 brochure says the tilt screen is designed the way it is to maintain the camera's optical axis no matter how it is turned; that's very clever engineering but does anyone know why that's a good thing?
kirstyj
Posted 01/05/2016 - 16:48 Link
Algernon wrote:
The K-1 is already the 10th best selling camera in Japan......

http://s.kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/

Probably online sales only.

--
That's interesting - I've just come back from Japan and couldn't get hold of one for love nor money! Saw plenty of pictures on the stand for where it should be, but not a K-1 to be seen. I went to all the big retailers like Bic Camera and Yodabashi so it wasn't for want of not trying!
grahamcoad
Posted 04/05/2016 - 05:02 Link
I can't add much if anything to the review.

Coming straight from the K-3 I can say that the K-1 is a little bit bigger all round, and a little bit heavier. It suits my bigger hands, and I have fitted a weight spreading neoprene strap from OpTech which is comfortable.

If you are used to K-3 controls and menu then the K-1 won't strain your brain too much.

I really like the new right side control wheels, they suit me! Less time fiddling in the menu.

I like the articulating monitor much more than I expected to, never having used one before.

It has quite a big viewfinder when up to the eye, even better with my O-ME53 magnifying eyecup which will stay on the camera. (It does not interfere with the articulating mirror)

Mirror/shutter noise is neutral, I barely noticed it, but "it's there".

It 'feels' great with small compact prime lenses like the Limited FA trio, BUT the f2.8 zoom lenses are bigger than some people might expect.. they have to be, as a result of the laws of physics and optics. I add this as it may come as a shock to long term crop factor camera users.
(Even mirrorless full frame cameras, though they may have compact bodies have big full frame lenses!)
K-1, Sigma 12-24mm DG EX, Sigma 24-70mm DG EX, K-3, White K-01 with 40mm XS and white 35mm f2.4, SMC Pentax FA 1.8 31mm AL Limited, 43mm f1.9 Limited, 77mm f1.8 Limited, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, SMC Pentax DA* 50-135 f2.8, MX + SMC M 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.2, Spotmatic F 55mm f1.8, ES with 55mm f1.8 and 28mm f3.5, Program Plus (Chrome) with SMC A 50mm f1.7, Pentax 6x7, Leica ii, plus misc. odds and sods)
grahamcoad
Posted 04/05/2016 - 05:14 Link
-On the subject of affording a K-1, I am lucky to be of an age and in a position where I can, and make no apologies for it.
I recall the days of rationed mortgages, 12-14% mortgage interest rates, and people losing their homes when working wives got pregnant, and most of my life I was unable to afford much.

Pentax K-1 costs about the same as a passable holiday or a low end used car......
K-1, Sigma 12-24mm DG EX, Sigma 24-70mm DG EX, K-3, White K-01 with 40mm XS and white 35mm f2.4, SMC Pentax FA 1.8 31mm AL Limited, 43mm f1.9 Limited, 77mm f1.8 Limited, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, SMC Pentax DA* 50-135 f2.8, MX + SMC M 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.2, Spotmatic F 55mm f1.8, ES with 55mm f1.8 and 28mm f3.5, Program Plus (Chrome) with SMC A 50mm f1.7, Pentax 6x7, Leica ii, plus misc. odds and sods)
bwlchmawr
Posted 04/05/2016 - 07:23 Link
I wouldn't spend that sort of money on a hobby for various reasons, not least of which is the fact that it's four times as much as any camera I've ever bought and I don't think I'd have four time as much fun using it. But I'm so glad that things like that exist. In the same way, I'll never own an Aston Martin or a Georgian country house or a Rolex and it doesn't matter.

People think differently these days and treat debt (outside of mortgages) as an acceptable part of life; they're less willing to save up or make economies than us old folks who never bought what they couldn't pay for.

The K1 is a bit of a dream machine which is fun to read about and think about and I'm glad there are people able and willing to buy one, share their thoughts and, more important, pictures, with the rest of us.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
LennyBloke
Posted 04/05/2016 - 08:54 Link
bwlchmawr wrote:
I wouldn't spend that sort of money on a hobby for various reasons, not least of which is the fact that it's four times as much as any camera I've ever bought and I don't think I'd have four time as much fun using it. But I'm so glad that things like that exist. In the same way, I'll never own an Aston Martin or a Georgian country house or a Rolex and it doesn't matter.

People think differently these days and treat debt (outside of mortgages) as an acceptable part of life; they're less willing to save up or make economies than us old folks who never bought what they couldn't pay for.

The K1 is a bit of a dream machine which is fun to read about and think about and I'm glad there are people able and willing to buy one, share their thoughts and, more important, pictures, with the rest of us.
Well said
LennyBloke
grahamcoad
Posted 04/05/2016 - 09:20 Link
Being divorced/single has a lot to do with me getting a K-1
K-1, Sigma 12-24mm DG EX, Sigma 24-70mm DG EX, K-3, White K-01 with 40mm XS and white 35mm f2.4, SMC Pentax FA 1.8 31mm AL Limited, 43mm f1.9 Limited, 77mm f1.8 Limited, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, SMC Pentax DA* 50-135 f2.8, MX + SMC M 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.2, Spotmatic F 55mm f1.8, ES with 55mm f1.8 and 28mm f3.5, Program Plus (Chrome) with SMC A 50mm f1.7, Pentax 6x7, Leica ii, plus misc. odds and sods)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo