Return...

jules

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 14:28
Well about a Year later I'm thinking of coming back!

Sob Story:
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/selling-up-again----37050

Feeling a little better, had a dalliance with a full frame Nikon too (D800 and 600), for a bit just to keep my hand in but in the end I really miss my Pentax! My feeling is that "Full Frame" Is overrated but then again I shoot mostly Landscapes, there was always something more satisfying about my K5 files, still broke and I'd need to sell my Nikon and glass first, frankly it's a toss up between the two new K5's and a Fuji XE 1 or if I can swing it both! with just a few Lenses, anyway I'd love to hear how your all doing and if anyone's got any opinions as to which is best?
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 11/06/2013 - 14:31

johnriley

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 15:30
You could think of the K-5 IIs as ideal for landscapes. Add an MX-1 or the Ricoh GR, depending on whether you need a zoom lens or an APS-C sensor.
Best regards, John

MartynUK

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 16:10
It good to read of a Pentaxian making a come-back Jules!

I'm also interested in your decision to return to the fold after a Nikon encounter as I've recently been debating whether to take the leap to a D600 for landscapes and keep the K5 for wildlife. At the moment I'm inclined to agree that FF is over-rated, unless you're printing really large prints and I'd probably do better to invest in more glass.

So I'll be interested in your final decision!

Martyn
Martyn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northamptonshirecouk/

jules

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 17:26
Thanks John, Thanks Martyn...
John, K5IIs looks good to me too, and I was debating whether to just have a K5II for the other stuff or of course the Xe1 and a K5 II, that little Mx-1 looks lovely I have to say...

Martyn, unless your doing limited Depth of field stuff, thinking F1.4 lenses here, I don't see much advantage to FF anymore, the D800 is so stuffed full of Pixels that you hit diffraction around the same F stop as an APSC, of course it will never stop and the next thing will be the 24Mp sensor scaled up! Unless your using the absolute finest glass that costs the earth you can't really get the absolute best out of it, the 600 is more forgiving but were onto diminishing returns here and yes the extra eight megapixels over the K5 are apparent but it's not night and day, the file quality on the K5 was always good and pretty much as malleable as the D600, the old adage about hitting diffraction earlier on APSC is a bit of a fallacy I've found as the equivalent depth of field you hit it at is about the same, and yes (Before anyone starts)I do know that it's a property of the Lens and not the sensor but all the same I know what I see...

Well at least I think I do, well as long as it's not the voices again!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
Last Edited by jules on 11/06/2013 - 17:30

fritzthedog

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 18:33
Welcome back Jules - good to see you return from the dark side. You have confirmed my feelings about FF - I am more than happy to stick to my Pentax c sensors

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Mike-P

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 19:06
Hi Jules ... interested in my DA* 60-250mm f4?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

McGregNi

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 19:06
Very interesting to hear of your continuing experiences, and of course a great achievement that you kept up the enthusiasm for photography despite all the issues and difficulties you spoke of before.

I have certainly read that FF is unforgiving in a number of ways, but mostly it would appear to show up any chinks in the chain - especially lenses, so needs to be paired up with top glass to really benefit.

MartynUK wrote:
I'm also interested in your decision to return to the fold after a Nikon encounter as I've recently been debating whether to take the leap to a D600 for landscapes and keep the K5 for wildlife. Martyn

Martyn, what is it about the K5 that you feel makes it less ideal for landscapes. Is it about the camera & sensor, or is it to do with the available quality of ultra-wides you could use. I'm thinking, it must be easier to make a top notch 21mm or 24-70mm zoom for use on FF, then the equivalent APS-C sizes - (about 12mm, or 15-40 approx.) ?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

jules

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 19:09
No Mike! It dovetails in with that moose of a Lens you've got Sooo neatly!
I really couldn't, no I really couldn't..

Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

Mike-P

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 19:12
jules wrote:
No Mike! It dovetails in with that moose of a Lens you've got Sooo neatly!

I hear the 250-600mm is pretty good for landscapes. you are welcome to try it if you want.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 19:32
Welcome back, Jules.

Your observations are fascinating and will make me stop dreaming about owning a Nikon full-fram DSLR. Imagine spending all that moeny and not being able to produce better images! Makes me shudder.

Perhaps the grass always just "looks" greener... I need to be grateful for my K10.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

jules

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 19:49
Better is subjective, yes they are better but is it worth the extra moneyand effort to get the images? Eventually there comes a time when it isn't..

Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 11/06/2013 - 19:49

pianoman

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 20:47
Welcome back Jules,you saved me some money here
All the best

David

McBrian

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 21:06
Another welcome back from me also
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

darkskies

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 21:14
Rebonjour Jules!!
This space deliberately left blank.

davidstorm

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 21:27
Hello Jules, nice to see you back on the site! I'm not sure if the K-5II has any advantage over the K-5 mk1 when it comes to landscapes, as the IQ is identical; only the focussing and rear screen are better on the K-5II and neither of these have much impact on landscape photography.

The K-5IIS on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. It is a magnificent camera and I would highly recommend it for landscapes. Despite early reports, it is clear when you have owned and used this camera for an extended period (as I have) that it is better than the standard K-5 for image quality. I also have a K-5 mk1 and continue to use this for landscape work, but the IIs is the one I turn to first.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.