Macro lenses over 100mm for K5.

Macrofan

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 14:22
Hi everyone,

Been a lifelong Pentax film macro fan and recently acquired a K5 but work commitments mean I've not used it much. 2 years on, I'm after a PK fit macro lens going longer than my Sigma 105mm, but find that all of such lenses seem not to be available new in a PK fit - even Sigma & Tamron. Does anyone know of such older secondhand lenses with excellent image quality. I work part time in butterfly & dragonfly conservation project management, and don't really want to move away from Pentax, as the K5 seems superb.

Thanks,

Macrofan

johnriley

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 14:54
The 100mm macro lenses are equivalent to using a 150mm on film, so they are already longer in that sense.

There was a Pentax 200mm macro and there may well be other 180mm/200mm macros around, perhaps Zeiss? However, we are talking big money for these.

How close do you need to be and with live or still specimens?
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 17:32
I'm not sure of the reason why you would need longer than the 105mm that your Sigma lens has? I find this lens superb for subjects like butterflies and dragonflies, it allows a decent working distance and produces lovely sharp images.

You could always use a 1.4x Teleconverter with it; this should not be of significant detriment to the image quality and loses only 1 stop of light.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Mannesty

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 17:50
Welcome to the PU forum Richard. Curiously, you have the same name as my son.

Other than the various Pentax 200mm 1:4 and 1:2.8 macro lenses, Sigma made a non-OS version of their 150mm and 180mm lenses which you will occasionally find for sale second hand.

Voigtlander also made a 125mm APO-Lanthar macro lens in Pentax fit, but they are very rare on the used market.

I can certainly vouch for the IQ if the Sigma 180mm 1:3.5 lens, it's superb, and no, it's not for sale .
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 16/06/2013 - 18:06

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 18:35
Mannesty wrote:
Welcome to the PU forum Richard. Curiously, you have the same name as my son.

I thought to myself, what a strange thing to say .. there are hundreds of thousands of people called Richard.

Then I saw his surname.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 18:41
davidstorm wrote:
I'm not sure of the reason why you would need longer than the 105mm that your Sigma lens has?

Does it really matter why?

Obviously he knows what he's doing after being a lifelong macro shooter so if he wants something longer then that's entirely his choice. Personally I would love to find another Sigma 180mm macro, the extra working distance is sometimes very helpful.

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 18:55
Mike-P wrote:
Does it really matter why? He obviously he knows what he's doing after being a lifelong macro shooter.......

I wasn't questioning his reasoning Mike, I just wanted to know why, so I asked a question; that's why there's a question mark in the sentence.

There's no law against that is there? I usually find that the only way to get answers is to ask questions.

Cheers
David

Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 18:59
davidstorm wrote:

I wasn't questioning his reasoning Mike, I just wanted to know why, so I asked a question; that's why there's a question mark in the sentence.

davidstorm wrote:
I'm not sure of the reason why you would need longer than the 105mm that your Sigma lens has?

Looks very much like you were questioning his reasoning to me.

gwing

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 19:24
The longest macro I know is the old Tamron 300 SP macro. Whether you would count the image quality as excellent though I don't know, it isn't bad but not the same as the Tamron 90.

If you live anywhere near me you can try mine, mind you they can be obtained very cheaply anyway.

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 20:36
Mike-P wrote:
Looks very much like you were questioning his reasoning to me.

Thanks for that sharp observation Mike, you should be on the telly as you clearly have telepathic powers to read my mind

If I say 'I'm not sure of the reason', I think that means what it says, i.e. 'I'm not sure'. In other words I would like clarification, or put another way I'm asking a question. There you go, I've explained it as much as I can but I would really appreciate you telling me I'm wrong

Cheers
David

Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 20:47
It was a pretty simple question that needed a simple answer David, nothing more. Peter covered it in just a few lines (without needing to question his reasoning).

As for the sarcasm ... it needs work

johnwhit

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 20:51
The Tamron 90mm Di works well with the Tamron 1.4x TC giving 135mm and losing 1 stop of light, you retain the minimum focus distence. From experience the Tamron 70-300 LD Di zoom does a cracking job but only gives 1:2 magnification and probably never reaches the IQ of the 90mm, it allows you more distance between yourself and the subject though which can be very handy.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

johnriley

Link Posted 16/06/2013 - 23:11
Gentlemen, somebody's intro thread is hardly the place to have any sort of argument, is it?
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 17/06/2013 - 00:33
johnriley wrote:
Gentlemen, somebody's intro thread is hardly the place to have any sort of argument, is it?

Sorry Richard (and JR), no intention on my part to hijack your thread. I was merely seeking clarification on why you wanted a longer lens, I hope that Peter has answered your query.

Regards
David

Flickr

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.