Removing lens elements
Posted 28/02/2008 - 11:35
Link
Quote:
I have an old Pentax 110 70mm lens, I have remoed the front element for cleaning - there is fungus in the lens and I decided to attempt the cleaning myself.
However, I am unable to remove the next element (possibly due to it being too tight) and am presuming I might have the same probles witht the other elements (there are 5 groups in total). Does anyone have any experience with this and can suggest a way of loosening the lens retention ring? I am asuming I am turning it the right way - the same way as for the front element.
Would WD40 be a way to help? I am using a fairly standard lens tool that looks a bit like two scredrivers linked with two bars bit like this one: http://www.pictureline.com/products/2527/Brandess_Kalt_Lens_Spanner_Wrench/#
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you can't get it undone with that tool i'm not sure what else you can use. : I have an old Pentax 110 70mm lens, I have remoed the front element for cleaning - there is fungus in the lens and I decided to attempt the cleaning myself.
However, I am unable to remove the next element (possibly due to it being too tight) and am presuming I might have the same probles witht the other elements (there are 5 groups in total). Does anyone have any experience with this and can suggest a way of loosening the lens retention ring? I am asuming I am turning it the right way - the same way as for the front element.
Would WD40 be a way to help? I am using a fairly standard lens tool that looks a bit like two scredrivers linked with two bars bit like this one: http://www.pictureline.com/products/2527/Brandess_Kalt_Lens_Spanner_Wrench/#
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I certainly wouldn't be putting any oily fluids in there
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 28/02/2008 - 12:33
Link
Quote:
Would WD40 be a way to help?
It would help the lens to an early grave, that's for sure Would WD40 be a way to help?
The trouble is that the elements aren't always removed from the front For example, the SMC-FA 80-320 that I de-fungus'd would allow L1 to be removed from the front, but to get to L2 & L3 required partial disassembly of the lens
Best bet is to phone Pentax and ask nicely if they can email you a parts-list of the lens in question (The parts list usually has an exploded view that can help.) Failing that, phone a friendly repair centre and see if they can give you any clues!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 28/02/2008 - 14:15
Link
Quote:
Matt
There are notches in the ring it is just that I am applying a lot of force without any results! The front element was tight but moved with some force. For the next element, there is no movement with a lot of force. Do I need to apply more force or is there another trick to this?Quote:
Would WD40 be a way to help?
Best bet is to phone Pentax and ask nicely if they can email you a parts-list of the lens in question (The parts list usually has an exploded view that can help.) Failing that, phone a friendly repair centre and see if they can give you any clues!Would WD40 be a way to help?
Matt
I have a diagram of the elements - 6 elements in 5 groups which should be enough and I can see the groves on all the lens retention rings.
WD40 was a bit tongue in cheek.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Posted 28/02/2008 - 14:23
Link
Not a diagram of the elements but a diagram of the lens (an exploded view with all parts) - that's what's on the parts list
Apart from that, I'm afraid I don't know
Matt
Apart from that, I'm afraid I don't know
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 28/02/2008 - 16:06
Link
What about warming with a hair dryer - in case it causes some differing rates of expansion and loosens the parts?
~Pete
Posted 28/02/2008 - 16:11
Link
Quote:
What about warming with a hair dryer - in case it causes some differing rates of expansion and loosens the parts?
Good idea! I will give that a try.
What about warming with a hair dryer - in case it causes some differing rates of expansion and loosens the parts?
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Posted 28/02/2008 - 16:44
Link
Force? Hair dryers? I think this precision made lens might be a bit less precise quite soon...
Best regards, John
Posted 28/02/2008 - 19:16
Link
Oh well that rules out my thoughts of drifting it out with a fine punch! I have found that using a drift can provide that initial shock to start the movement.
That said this is on a land rover
Mike
That said this is on a land rover
Mike
Posted 28/02/2008 - 20:26
Link
Quote:
Oh well that rules out my thoughts of drifting it out with a fine punch! . . .That said this is on a land rover Mike
Having done my fair share of work on Landies, one slip of the lump hammer and you will definitely end up with an exploded view of a lens!Oh well that rules out my thoughts of drifting it out with a fine punch! . . .That said this is on a land rover Mike
Steve
Posted 28/02/2008 - 20:32
Link
Here Beakynet try this option instead.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PENTAX-auto-110-Portrait-70mm-lens-SUPERB-condition_W0QQitemZ230226844188QQihZ013QQcategoryZ709QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PENTAX-auto-110-Portrait-70mm-lens-SUPERB-condition_W0QQitemZ230226844188QQihZ013QQcategoryZ709QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 28/02/2008 - 23:57
Link
Quote:
Here Beakynet try this option instead.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PENTAX-auto-110-Portrait-70mm-lens-SUPERB-condition_W0QQitemZ230226844188QQihZ013QQcategoryZ709QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122
Where do you think I got this one! Here Beakynet try this option instead.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PENTAX-auto-110-Portrait-70mm-lens-SUPERB-condition_W0QQitemZ230226844188QQihZ013QQcategoryZ709QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122
Perseverance managed to get the second lens element out just 3 to go!
I am learning something about lens construction! I will get this lens fungus free!
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Posted 29/02/2008 - 00:13
Link
But will you get it back together?
Lens elements make good magnifying glasses, I have found. No need to tell you how.
G
Lens elements make good magnifying glasses, I have found. No need to tell you how.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


829 posts
18 years
South East London
However, I am unable to remove the next element (possibly due to it being too tight) and am presuming I might have the same probles witht the other elements (there are 5 groups in total). Does anyone have any experience with this and can suggest a way of loosening the lens retention ring? I am asuming I am turning it the right way - the same way as for the front element.
Would WD40 be a way to help? I am using a fairly standard lens tool that looks a bit like two scredrivers linked with two bars bit like this one: http://www.pictureline.com/products/2527/Brandess_Kalt_Lens_Spanner_Wrench/#
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon