Raynox wanted

jeffstclair
Posted 20/11/2010 - 16:50 Link
Hi any body got a Raynox DCR250 In the back of the cupboard ? If so do you want to sell it to me by post to Crete ?? ....Jeff
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 20/11/2010 - 17:06 Link
I've got a 150. From what I gather this is the more practical one, due to the less dramatically narrow DOF (why I got it rather than the 250). Though I may be talking out of my... I bought this as a cheap way to explore macro and after a year and a half of limited use the conclusion has to be that it's not really my thing.
Mhuni

500px
jeffstclair
Posted 20/11/2010 - 17:14 Link
Hello Dr Mhuni... Check out the thread Broccoli in 'photos' Mike p recommends the 250, but how much do you want for your 150 and how much to post to Crete? ... Jeff
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 20/11/2010 - 17:29 Link
Maybe Mike meant Raynox filters generally, whilst referring to the 250 specifically? Or not - I would certainly defer to him as he knows one or two (or more) things about macro than I do.

I can't imagine the necessity to get much closer than the 150 gets you - more likely the opposite, but perhaps that's just me.

I'd be looking at £25 + P&P, but not having sent anything from here yet I've no idea what this would be.

If you decide you want it I could look into this on Monday.

The condition is mint BTW.
Mhuni

500px
Clarky
Posted 20/11/2010 - 23:07 Link
I purchased a 250 Raynox from the US forum, unfortunately it's been almost 4 weeks and still nothing So I can't help you, but with a little luck it may end up on your doorstep because it's not coming to mine by the looks of it.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Mike-P
Posted 20/11/2010 - 23:29 Link
I dug my Pentax WR 50-200mm out tonight (as I presume that's what you are thinking of using one on) so that I can give you a comparison with and without the Raynox.

Will do a few shots tomorrow.

I normally use it on my 90mm macro lens but focus is a real PITA if using the full magnification.
prsjnb
Posted 21/11/2010 - 00:21 Link
Raynox 250 with 50-200mm does work but the working distance is not great and the DOF is, as you might expect, minimal. I went on to buy a 150 which is slighly easier to work with. I keep one, or both, in my bag at all times just in case I spot something interesting and I don't have my macro lens with me. Below are a couple of examples taken when I was just experimenting and further example previously uploaded to my gallery link. All were taken with the Samsung D-Xenon variant of the 50-200mm which I had at the time.

Comment Image[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5193549860_1efe994659_b.jpg" class="comment_image" />

D-Xenogon 50-200mm + Raynox DCR-250_2 by prsjnb, on Flickr[/img]

Comment Image[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/5193548992_8a3b6c661b_b.jpg" class="comment_image" />

D-Xenogon 50-250mm + Raynox DCR-250_1 by prsjnb, on Flickr[/img]
Edited by prsjnb: 21/11/2010 - 00:23
jeffstclair
Posted 21/11/2010 - 08:49 Link
Mike and Prsjnb forgive me I'm quite new to all this .So what you all seem to be saying that you can use a Raynox 150 or 250 with any prime lens, a zoom lens within reason up to 200mm say, and also a dedicated macro lens. My lens kit so far is a pair of cheap pentacons1.8 /50mm. 2.8/ 29mm.Pentax smc 28-80 and 80-320, a Pentax 18-55mm kit lens oh and a Takumar 3.5/135.. So a 150 raynox or a 250 will work on all of these but be impractical on the 80-320. ... Jeff N.B. This discussion should maybe in a different place sorry John
Mannesty
Posted 21/11/2010 - 09:19 Link
The Raynox lenses attach to the front of your existing lens a bit like a clip-on lens hood. It fits lenses having a filter thread diameter of 52 - 67mm.

Raynox Macro lenses page.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Mike-P
Posted 21/11/2010 - 15:52 Link
Baically what Peter said.
As you have the 18-55mm I used that for these. They are purely to show magnification of the DCR-250 .. not quality.

First one is kit lens at full mag 55mm
Second is same but with Raynox on.

Shotsa are uncropped.


[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Sockpuppetuk/IMGP6241.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Sockpuppetuk/IMGP6242.jpg[/IMG]
jeffstclair
Posted 21/11/2010 - 16:10 Link
Cheers Mike . Yeah it really gets you in there , and in your example it looks to me that it has thined the DOF am I right? Can this be altered by closing the aperture a bit?... Cant wait to get one..Jeff
Mike-P
Posted 21/11/2010 - 16:45 Link
Shot at f6.3 so stopped down to around f12 should give you a much sharper shot with better DOF. The only thing I will say is that the 250 overhangs the barrel of the kit lens and at full mag you will need an external flash of some kind te get some light over the top.
jeffstclair
Posted 21/11/2010 - 17:27 Link
That's Great Mike thanks a lot for giving me all this info, can't wait to do some more "veg shots" he he .. Jeff

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo