Projecting live pictures

Frogherder

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 15:58
Hi All,
At our local camera club we are aiming to show the rudiments of macro work.

We have a laptop which can be connected to a projector so all can see whats on the laptop.

If I use my K5 can I get a live pic (still) off to the laptop so that changes etc can be seen as they are made.

If so how?

I'm suggesting my K5 because the Canons/Nikons/Sony etc in the group don't appear to be able to do that kind of thing and it would provide a bit of one-upmanship.

regards
Bernard

vic cross

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 16:16
"Mines better than yours" (Repeat 4 times in a high loud voice) You big kid. Go for it. I hope it works 'cause I'm as bad as you.
CHEERS Vic.
PS Somebody help him. I can't. Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Last Edited by vic cross on 03/07/2012 - 16:17

steven9761

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 17:47
Bernard - where are you making those live changes?..

If you connect your camera to the lappy via the supplied mini-usb cable that came with your camera, your camera, in effect, becomes a MASS STORAGE DEVICE. To access your pictures, click on START / MY COMPUTER, and hopefully you should see your MSD either labelled as the name of your camera (PENTAX K5, or similar), or it will be assigned a drive letter (I would guess anything from E: onwards through the alphabet). Open up the relevant folder, then browse to the photo(s) you require. If you are intending to demo/tutor as a Photoshop course, then open the folder where the photos are, in the same way as you would access the ones in the MY PHOTOS folder. Use PS/PSE/CS6 or whatever as your editing suite as normal, and once you have done, simply save the amended photo(s) back to your MSD, remembering to rename the file! That way, you have the original, as well as the edit!

I hope this way the kind of thing you were hoping to achieve!

GlynM

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 17:54
Probably not quite what you had in mind but I have done a demonstration to a local photo group where I connected the K-5 directly to the projector using the HDMI output on the camera and used live-view to show what the camera could see.

This is not perfect though as you only see the image and not all the details of the settings you get through the viewfinder. Auto focus in live-view is somewhat slow and seems to perform a quick digital zoom so is different to normal but I guess for a macro demonstration you will use manual focus. I seem to remember that with the HDMI output in use the rear display on the camera is also disabled.

This of course does rely on the projector having an HDMI input, which is not being used by the laptop, and that you have the necessary cable (mini HDMI to HDMI?).

When I did this the laptop was connected via the VGA input to the projector so it was just a matter of selecting different inputs on the projector to switch between the laptop & camera displays.

I guess you can transfer the results by pulling the SD card out and using a card reader on the laptop (our lap-top had one built-in) or via the usb solution suggested by steven above.

If you have got a cable and a TV with a HDMI input it is well worth having a little play to see if this approach would work for you.

Glyn
Last Edited by GlynM on 03/07/2012 - 17:58

Helpful

Frogherder

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 18:39
I think that what Glyn has suggested is what I need, ie :-

We pondered connecting the camera to the projector, and assumed that the laptop would need to be in circuit.

I was not actually considering taking a shot (not excluded though) as the aim was to show the effects of aperture; changing a bellows extension; generally exploring what kit I have that can be used for macro.

Likewise lighting angles/intensity can be explored.

So I need to get an HDMI cable to fit the camera
What plug do I need on the other end?

regards
Bernard

GlynM

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 19:00
Frogherder wrote:

So I need to get an HDMI cable to fit the camera
What plug do I need on the other end?

Assuming that the projector has a standard HDMI input (like a TV) then I think you need a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable but of course it would be wise to check the projector.

I can't remember where I got mine from as it dates back to my K-7 days but just doing a quick hunt on Amazon I found lots of examples and this one is sort of in the middle of the range. I guess you could probably find loads of them on ebay.

Some care is needed as there is an even smaller HDMI connector, called a micro-HDMI, which is used on some compact cameras (like the Pentax WG-1). For the K-5 you need a Mini-HDMI.

I hope this helps.

Glyn

P.S. If the projector does not have a HDMI input then you could probably use the analogue video output using the cable with the small usb connector to yellow (video) and white (audio) phono plugs that came with the camera. It is not something I have used so would need testing and I guess the quality will not be as good as using the digital HDMI output.
Last Edited by GlynM on 03/07/2012 - 19:18

GlynM

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 19:46
I have just done a quick test to check my memory of how it worked and I was wrong in that in live view you get a lot of data on the screen which may not be good for your application, see this screen shot of live-view from my K-5 on our TV:

Probably the most annoying part is the focus square in the middle.

I have also tried the analogue cable (it was still in my K-5 box ) and that seemed to work although there was some over scanning on our TV that clipped off the edges of the display.

If you can find your analogue cable it would be worth trying it on your TV before to see if live-view will work for you before spending any money on an HDMI cable.

Glyn

P.S. It turns out that you can turn-off some of the live-view data in the K-5 menu which might make it easier:

Last Edited by GlynM on 03/07/2012 - 19:56

johnriley

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 20:03
If you use the video output from the camera you will be able to display menus and playback images. Not sure about LiveView, although that should work too.
Best regards, John

Algernon

Link Posted 03/07/2012 - 20:25
Will PK Tether do what you want (Freeware)

http://www.pktether.com/
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Frogherder

Link Posted 04/07/2012 - 11:17
I'm checking with our PC/Projector guru as to what the pluggery is.

Glyn, those shots look exactly what I think I want????. Except I would like them onto a screen.

John, don't anticipate video, but who knows.

Algi - I've no idea if pktether will do the job, I'll download it and see what it does do.

All in all it does look promising. Actual pictures need not be taken (unless they are gooduns) - and I get to smirk for once.

Thanks guys for all your help

regards
Bernard.

ps -- it'll probably be a while before this kind of demo pops up in the future agenda, but I'll report back my findings.
Last Edited by Frogherder on 04/07/2012 - 11:18

beakynet

Link Posted 04/07/2012 - 12:10
I have done exactly this on my TV and with the HDMI connected to the camera you see everything on the TV that you would see on the camera LCD. HDMI is wide screen which is the format you need to see all the information, with the Analogue cable you are restricted to an 4:3 output.

I suspect that the projector will only have an HDMI connection if it is a more recent model. If it does, it should do exactly what you want it to do.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.