Problems using aperture ring

robbie_d
Posted 22/02/2010 - 21:50 Link
Hi all,

Just having a play with my Pentax-A 28mm f2.8, using the aperture ring to select aperture rather than using the camera on "A" setting (doing it to get some practice in advance of receiving a Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 I've purchased off the classifieds).

Firstly, using the aperture ring set at "A", and in Av mode I lined up a shot at f2.8 and made a note of the shutter speed (and other settings) the camera suggested. I then went to M mode, used the settings I had noticed and took a picture. Picture looked good, all exposed properly.

Then, changing the aperture ring to 2.8, I used the same settings as previous, but the shot looked very different, not necessarily underexposed, but just more yellow.

Here are the pictures (don't judge me , they are very quick and rough for testing only!):

[IMG]http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/rob_davies/IMGP2221.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/rob_davies/IMGP2222.jpg[/IMG]

I then tried a longer exposure on the second picture but it began to look a bit glarey and overexposed.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong/what I'm doing wrong?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Edited by robbie_d: 22/02/2010 - 21:50
womble
Posted 22/02/2010 - 22:12 - Helpful Comment Link
Were you using Auto white balance? If so, how did the white balance value change between shots?

I have found auto-white balance strangely inconsistent with older glass but I am surprised that it has changed just by moving the aperture ring off A.

As to exposure, I'll assume you have the "allow use of aperture ring" set to on and are using manual exposure mode. Pre-A lenses cause weird metering. They are often OK wide-open, but get progressively worse towards the middle of the range then better again toward the other extreme. It also varies between lenses. The Vivitar 28mm close focus I have is consistently two stops over exposed, for example, whereas the 100mm f/2.8 starts out OK but gets worse in the middle range (where one would normally use the lens if the light is good). You just learn to use the histogram preview function consistently!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
robbie_d
Posted 22/02/2010 - 22:21 Link
Kris, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

White balance was indeed the issue, when I switched off Auto White Balance to any other setting the results were almost identical between camera and lens based aperture selection.

The only issue seems to be now that only AWB on the "A" setting gives a result that actually looks like what I'm looking at!

More experimenting methinks.

By the way, tweezers worked brilliantly, replacement screen in and going well. I'll pop them back in the post to you. Cheers again.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
womble
Posted 22/02/2010 - 22:28 Link
I wonder why on earth taking the lens off "A" would mess-up the white balance: Sounds like an "undocumented feature" to me

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
womble
Posted 22/02/2010 - 22:29 - Helpful Comment Link
PS.

Set the white balance manually using a piece of white paper (or an 18% gray card if you own one of those).

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
robbie_d
Posted 22/02/2010 - 22:38 Link
Cheers Kris,

Advice was spot on, works a treat now!

Regards

Rob
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
iceblinker
Posted 22/02/2010 - 22:38 Link
womble wrote:
I wonder why on earth taking the lens off "A" would mess-up the white balance: Sounds like an "undocumented feature" to me
Could be just coincidence if something else triggered the change, like a slightly different framing of the subject. Sometimes it only takes the slightest change to make auto WB flip from one setting to another.
~Pete
Anvh
Posted 23/02/2010 - 08:40 Link
womble wrote:
I wonder why on earth taking the lens off "A" would mess-up the white balance: Sounds like an "undocumented feature" to me

K.
The shots are not framed the same with the first shot you have some purple and with the second shot that purple is almost white and the white is to yellow.
Probably it tried to make the purple white in the last shot

It has nothing to do with the aperture.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 23/02/2010 - 08:41
pschlute
Posted 23/02/2010 - 09:18 Link
I do recall that the advice when using an "A" lens is to leave the aperture on "A" and not try and select it manually.

It is a while since I used an "A" lens on my K10, but it may be that you will lose the aperture fuctionality...ie your shots will all be at wide open. I don't know what camera you are using, and it may well be that my advice is not appropriate , but it is worth you investigating
Anvh
Posted 23/02/2010 - 09:23 Link
pschlute wrote:
I do recall that the advice when using an "A" lens is to leave the aperture on "A" and not try and select it manually.

It is a while since I used an "A" lens on my K10, but it may be that you will lose the aperture fuctionality...ie your shots will all be at wide open. I don't know what camera you are using, and it may well be that my advice is not appropriate , but it is worth you investigating
The shots won't be wide open it will stop down, the problem is that the camera does not know the aperture you've selected so it simply meter it wide open without any correction for the aperture you've the ring on.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 23/02/2010 - 09:24
iceblinker
Posted 23/02/2010 - 10:04 Link
Yes, it's more convenient with digital cameras to leave the lens on "A" all the time. You can still use Manual mode if you wish. Just select the aperture via the camera.
~Pete
pschlute
Posted 23/02/2010 - 10:11 Link
Stefan

According to my K10 manual, an "A" lens with the aperture set to anything other than "A", will work in Av mode but any exposure will be wide open irrespective of the aperture setting on the lens.

You must use manual exposure to get the lens to stop down.

This may differ from the OP's camera of course.
Edited by pschlute: 23/02/2010 - 10:12
Anvh
Posted 23/02/2010 - 10:25 Link
pschlute wrote:
Stefan

According to my K10 manual, an "A" lens with the aperture set to anything other than "A", will work in Av mode but any exposure will be wide open irrespective of the aperture setting on the lens.

You must use manual exposure to get the lens to stop down.

This may differ from the OP's camera of course.
Yeah you're right, just tried it with the DFA 100mm, the funny thing is that it does close the aperture down but only after the exposure
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 23/02/2010 - 10:25
robbie_d
Posted 23/02/2010 - 10:59 Link
iceblinker wrote:
womble wrote:
I wonder why on earth taking the lens off "A" would mess-up the white balance: Sounds like an "undocumented feature" to me
Could be just coincidence if something else triggered the change, like a slightly different framing of the subject. Sometimes it only takes the slightest change to make auto WB flip from one setting to another.
I tried it on numerous occasions (more than just the two examples given above) and every time there was the same marked difference.

Also no "non-auto" white balance setting when using the aperture ring gives anywhere near the picture as evidenced using the "A" position and AWB.

Kris' suggestion of manually setting white balance addressed the issue, but I'm a little confused as to how it arose?

I'm also concerned that an M lens will suffer the same problems.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
robbie_d
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:04 Link
Anvh wrote:
womble wrote:
I wonder why on earth taking the lens off "A" would mess-up the white balance: Sounds like an "undocumented feature" to me

K.
The shots are not framed the same with the first shot you have some purple and with the second shot that purple is almost white and the white is to yellow.
Probably it tried to make the purple white in the last shot

It has nothing to do with the aperture.
Stefan, no one has said it is a problem with aperture. But it is a problem which is occurring when I use the aperture ring in anything other than the A position.

I took numerous shots and the difference was marked every time.

My understanding (which could be wrong) was that as long as I enabled the camera to use the aperture ring, set the camera to M mode, adjusted the aperture using the ring, metered (which will be metering at the aperture I've selected, not wide open), then things should at least be comparable to when using the "A" setting, and certainly not this different.

My concern is that when using an M lens that these problems are going to arise (as I obviously won't have the A setting).

Although I've only posted two pictures above, I took numerous different pictures using the two settings, and for some reason every time I wasn't on the A setting the AWB went a bit funny (technical speak).
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo