Problems using aperture ring
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:11
Link
Ok, you've discovered a strange bug in the camera, but it won't be a problem with a manual lens if you can end up with a WB you're happy with.
Shooting RAW will help as the WB can be changed afterwards with absolutely no detriment.
Shooting RAW will help as the WB can be changed afterwards with absolutely no detriment.
~Pete
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:14
Link
iceblinker wrote:
Ok, you've discovered a strange bug in the camera, but it won't be a problem with a manual lens if you can end up with a WB you're happy with.
Shooting RAW will help as the WB can be changed afterwards with absolutely no detriment.
I understand what you're saying, but if the AWB behaves on the M lens like it does when an A lens isn't on A it's going to be a bit of an inconvenience.Ok, you've discovered a strange bug in the camera, but it won't be a problem with a manual lens if you can end up with a WB you're happy with.
Shooting RAW will help as the WB can be changed afterwards with absolutely no detriment.
I'm just trying to understand if there is anything I'm overlooking.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:15
Link
robbie_d wrote:
I'm now a little concerned that these AWB problems will be unavoidable whilst using it.
Understood. Perhaps you should just avoid AWB with manual lenses then.iceblinker wrote:
Yes, it's more convenient with digital cameras to leave the lens on "A" all the time. You can still use Manual mode if you wish. Just select the aperture via the camera.
Pete, the only reason I was experimenting was that I have an M lens on the way (my first) and just wanted to prepare myself for it. In actual use, my A lenses will stay in the A position.Yes, it's more convenient with digital cameras to leave the lens on "A" all the time. You can still use Manual mode if you wish. Just select the aperture via the camera.
I'm now a little concerned that these AWB problems will be unavoidable whilst using it.
Actually I might have experienced the same problem and just not noticed it. I'm used to routinely adjusting the WB so it doesn't bother me when it's a bit off to begin with.
~Pete
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:17
Link
Yes you might have a bit of inconvenience, but it's not that serious compared to the inconvenience of metering you're going to have with manual lenses.
Sorry at the moment I don't understand the cause of the problem. It may remain a mystery!
You're probably not overlooking anything and probably there's just bug in the firmware.
Sorry at the moment I don't understand the cause of the problem. It may remain a mystery!
You're probably not overlooking anything and probably there's just bug in the firmware.
~Pete
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:19
Link
iceblinker wrote:
Yes you might have a bit of inconvenience, but it's not that serious.
Sorry at the moment I don't understand the cause of the problem. It may remain a mystery!
It appears to be that (all other settings being equal) when using the A position and dialling in the aperture on the camera the AWB does one thing, but when dialling in the aperture on the lens it does another.Yes you might have a bit of inconvenience, but it's not that serious.
Sorry at the moment I don't understand the cause of the problem. It may remain a mystery!
That's about as far as I've got, although Kris has identified a remedy.
I'm now just curious as to why it is happening!
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:22
Link
iceblinker wrote:
Yes you might have a bit of inconvenience, but it's not that serious compared to the inconvenience of metering you're going to have with manual lenses.
Sorry at the moment I don't understand the cause of the problem. It may remain a mystery!
You're probably not overlooking anything and probably there's just bug in the firmware.
Is it really that inconvenient?
Yes you might have a bit of inconvenience, but it's not that serious compared to the inconvenience of metering you're going to have with manual lenses.
Sorry at the moment I don't understand the cause of the problem. It may remain a mystery!
You're probably not overlooking anything and probably there's just bug in the firmware.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:42
Link
robbie_d wrote:
Is it really that inconvenient?
It's not bad when the Green button gives a sensible result, but it's a bit of a pain when it doesn't. It's worth the inconvenience when you've got a good lens, though.
Is it really that inconvenient?
~Pete
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:49
Link
iceblinker wrote:
Cool. Got a 135mm f3.5 arriving tomorrow which I'm looking forward to.robbie_d wrote:
Is it really that inconvenient?
It's not bad when the Green button gives a sensible result, but it's a bit of a pain when it doesn't. It's worth the inconvenience when you've got a good lens, though.Is it really that inconvenient?
I'm guessing that most of the time the green button (it's not a green button on the K-m, but there is a button that does the same) will give a vaguely sensible result then it's just perseverance when it doesn't!
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 23/02/2010 - 11:53
Link
The answer with the "A" lens is to use it in the "A" setting
I use M lenses all the time and do not experience problems with the AWB white balance, althogh I rarely use AWB these days. it is also worth pointing out that an indoor shot such as your example is outside the range for AWB to work. Your camera may be different, but with the K10 AWB is for daylight shooting only.
What is your camera ?
Metering with M lenses is not straightforward. You can use them in Av but they will expose correctly BUT at max aperture only. In Manual exposure mode you use the green button (may be a different button on your camera)to "stop down" the lens momentarily and take a meter reading, this sets the shutter speed. You can also (on the K10) use the DOF preview (optical) to turn on the meter and adjust either shutter or aperture to centre the meter.
However you will find that either of the manual methods will progressively overexpose as you use a smaller aperture. So you will have to use the histogram check your results and adjust exposure accordingly.
I use M lenses all the time and do not experience problems with the AWB white balance, althogh I rarely use AWB these days. it is also worth pointing out that an indoor shot such as your example is outside the range for AWB to work. Your camera may be different, but with the K10 AWB is for daylight shooting only.
What is your camera ?
Metering with M lenses is not straightforward. You can use them in Av but they will expose correctly BUT at max aperture only. In Manual exposure mode you use the green button (may be a different button on your camera)to "stop down" the lens momentarily and take a meter reading, this sets the shutter speed. You can also (on the K10) use the DOF preview (optical) to turn on the meter and adjust either shutter or aperture to centre the meter.
However you will find that either of the manual methods will progressively overexpose as you use a smaller aperture. So you will have to use the histogram check your results and adjust exposure accordingly.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 23/02/2010 - 12:02
Link
robbie_d wrote:
Cool. Got a 135mm f3.5 arriving tomorrow which I'm looking forward to.
I'm guessing that most of the time the green button (it's not a green button on the K-m, but there is a button that does the same) will give a vaguely sensible result then it's just perseverance when it doesn't!
AE-L button for K-m. Yes, you just make a manual adjustment when required. You get to know the quirks. It's not a problem really unless the light on your subject is changing very quickly.
Cool. Got a 135mm f3.5 arriving tomorrow which I'm looking forward to.
I'm guessing that most of the time the green button (it's not a green button on the K-m, but there is a button that does the same) will give a vaguely sensible result then it's just perseverance when it doesn't!
~Pete
Posted 23/02/2010 - 12:13
Link
pschlute wrote:
The answer with the "A" lens is to use it in the "A" setting
I use M lenses all the time and do not experience problems with the AWB white balance, althogh I rarely use AWB these days. it is also worth pointing out that an indoor shot such as your example is outside the range for AWB to work. Your camera may be different, but with the K10 AWB is for daylight shooting only.
What is your camera ?
Metering with M lenses is not straightforward. You can use them in Av but they will expose correctly BUT at max aperture only. In Manual exposure mode you use the green button (may be a different button on your camera)to "stop down" the lens momentarily and take a meter reading, this sets the shutter speed. You can also (on the K10) use the DOF preview (optical) to turn on the meter and adjust either shutter or aperture to centre the meter.
However you will find that either of the manual methods will progressively overexpose as you use a smaller aperture. So you will have to use the histogram check your results and adjust exposure accordingly.
Peter, as I mentioned I was only using the A lens out of the A setting to prepare for receiving an M lens tomorrow.The answer with the "A" lens is to use it in the "A" setting
I use M lenses all the time and do not experience problems with the AWB white balance, althogh I rarely use AWB these days. it is also worth pointing out that an indoor shot such as your example is outside the range for AWB to work. Your camera may be different, but with the K10 AWB is for daylight shooting only.
What is your camera ?
Metering with M lenses is not straightforward. You can use them in Av but they will expose correctly BUT at max aperture only. In Manual exposure mode you use the green button (may be a different button on your camera)to "stop down" the lens momentarily and take a meter reading, this sets the shutter speed. You can also (on the K10) use the DOF preview (optical) to turn on the meter and adjust either shutter or aperture to centre the meter.
However you will find that either of the manual methods will progressively overexpose as you use a smaller aperture. So you will have to use the histogram check your results and adjust exposure accordingly.
As for the AWB it works fine when using the A lens in the A setting in that environment (my camera is a K-m incidentally), I've not been aware of any issues with AWB in any setting I've shot in previously. It just seemed to get problematic when using the lens manually.
I've no problem with the metering process (it's the Av button on the K-m in M mode), just the discrepancies that the AWB seems to generate (all other settings were equal in the test shots I took).
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 23/02/2010 - 12:44
Link
Good luck with the M135/3.5 It is a great lens for the price.... so nice to use and excellent results.
I have had mine for 30 years !!
I have had mine for 30 years !!
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 23/02/2010 - 13:09
Link
pschlute wrote:
Good luck with the M135/3.5 It is a great lens for the price.... so nice to use and excellent results.
I have had mine for 30 years !!
Good to know!Good luck with the M135/3.5 It is a great lens for the price.... so nice to use and excellent results.
I have had mine for 30 years !!
I think it will be a good addition to my A28/2.8 and A50/1.7.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 23/02/2010 - 14:16
Link
robbie_d wrote:
I think it will be a good addition to my A28/2.8 and A50/1.7.
The trio of 28mm, 50mm and 135mm lenses was the entirety of my lens collection for about the first 20 years of my photographic experience!I think it will be a good addition to my A28/2.8 and A50/1.7.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1569 posts
17 years
Victory Mansions
Yes, it's more convenient with digital cameras to leave the lens on "A" all the time. You can still use Manual mode if you wish. Just select the aperture via the camera.
I'm now a little concerned that these AWB problems will be unavoidable whilst using it.
Apparently.