Longer zoom thoughts
Posted 21/02/2010 - 11:32
Link
Grey top I have a sigma 28 300mm 3.5 6.3 you could try I am thinking of selling it later on in the year
I could post it in the coming week if you like just send me your address
by pm
James
I could post it in the coming week if you like just send me your address
by pm
James
Posted 21/02/2010 - 11:50
Link
oops my bad read 150-300 5.6 6.3 on your post
James
James
Posted 21/02/2010 - 12:12
Link
I would go for a Sigma EX lens. The IQ is definitely superior to their non EX lenses.
You could of course consider the Bigma too, which is an EX. There is a new version due out at the PMA apparently.
You could of course consider the Bigma too, which is an EX. There is a new version due out at the PMA apparently.
Posted 21/02/2010 - 14:35
Link
Does it have to be a zoom? You have the DA*300 f4 and you could combine it with the Pentax 1.7 AF TC . I find it works OK
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 21/02/2010 - 14:42
Link
Gwyn wrote:
I would go for a Sigma EX lens. The IQ is definitely superior to their non EX lenses.
You could of course consider the Bigma too, which is an EX. There is a new version due out at the PMA apparently.
I would go for a Sigma EX lens. The IQ is definitely superior to their non EX lenses.
You could of course consider the Bigma too, which is an EX. There is a new version due out at the PMA apparently.
Mike-P wrote:
I can certainly vouch for the 100-300mm and TC combo but would hold off until the new Bigma is released.
Thanks Gwyn and Mike, yes that new Bigma looks interesting, I wonder what the price will be as it now packs optical stabilisation and HSM?
I can certainly vouch for the 100-300mm and TC combo but would hold off until the new Bigma is released.
Posted 21/02/2010 - 14:47
Link
bforbes wrote:
Does it have to be a zoom? You have the DA*300 f4 and you could combine it with the Pentax 1.7 AF TC . I find it works OK
Hi Barry, yes that option had crossed my mind too but I haven't seen any examples anywhere with the DA* 300 and x1.7TC. I have seen quite a few frankly stunning shots on a wildlife forum with the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF and 1.4x APO Tele-converter combination, all be it in a Canon mount.
Does it have to be a zoom? You have the DA*300 f4 and you could combine it with the Pentax 1.7 AF TC . I find it works OK
Posted 21/02/2010 - 15:49
Link
Greytop wrote:
Hi Barry, yes that option had crossed my mind too but I haven't seen any examples anywhere with the DA* 300 and x1.7TC.
Not wildlife but- link
Hi Barry, yes that option had crossed my mind too but I haven't seen any examples anywhere with the DA* 300 and x1.7TC.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 21/02/2010 - 16:10
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Yes there is that too, which is just another factor swinging me the the direction of the 100-300mm at this point. Greytop wrote:
I have seen quite a few frankly stunning shots on a wildlife forum with the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF and 1.4x APO Tele-converter combination, all be it in a Canon mount.
It's not too shabby with the 2x teleconverter either. I have seen quite a few frankly stunning shots on a wildlife forum with the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF and 1.4x APO Tele-converter combination, all be it in a Canon mount.
I'm really amazed at the sharpness and definition that this lens appears to be capable of with the Sigma 1.4x APO fitted.
Posted 21/02/2010 - 16:43
Link
Check out my portfolio page 3......both goldfinches taken with the DA*300 plus the 1.7 converter!......not bad efforts!........Ken
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Posted 21/02/2010 - 16:59
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Well put it this way, you know I am somewhat undecided on what camera to buy next but when a reasonably priced 100-300mm came up on TP in Canon mount I bought it .. just in case.
Yes, I guess it has be one of the nicest lenses Sigma make. I certainly haven't read a single bad report about the image quality.Well put it this way, you know I am somewhat undecided on what camera to buy next but when a reasonably priced 100-300mm came up on TP in Canon mount I bought it .. just in case.
beginner wrote:
Check out my portfolio page 3......both goldfinches taken with the DA*300 plus the 1.7 converter!......not bad efforts!........Ken
Impressive Ken, I can't argue with the quality of those. Were either of those cropped to any extent?
Check out my portfolio page 3......both goldfinches taken with the DA*300 plus the 1.7 converter!......not bad efforts!........Ken
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2038 posts
17 years
Berkshire,
England.
I already have the 60-250 which is a lovely lens but unfortunately doesn't pair too well with tele-converters. I shall be keeping it though just because the image quality is rather nice
So in addition I'm currently thinking along the lines of the following two options:-
1) Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF together with a Sigma 1.4x APO Tele-converter
2) Sigma 150-500mm f/5.6-6.3 APO DG HSM
Obviously option one is more costly and shorter but gives more flexibility and a faster aperture at the long end. Image quality seems to be generally excellent from what I've read even with the matched tele-converter (which is important to me)
Option two gives me more money in my piggy bank and is an all in one solution with a longer focal length. However it's a bit heavier and probably less flexible that the 100-300 + x1.4 solution. Not sure whether HSM is a good or bad thing?
I would be interested to know users thoughts on image quality, built quality general ease of use. Perhaps also some other options I could consider in this sort of price range.
Thanks.
flickr