poor af pentax 55-300
Posted 03/07/2012 - 21:30
Link
I had the same problem with the K5. Had to pre-focus.
Posted 03/07/2012 - 21:56
Link
I've had the K5 since my May holiday. Huge improvement with the 55 -300 DA over it on my previous KX and KR models.It had no issus in sunny Greece.
On my KR I found centre focus the best method but on the K5 the 11 point auto settng seems better even at extreme telephoto. I guess this is because its he upgraded version from the 645 model. I read Pentax are to improve things even more on the new K30.
It is true this lens sometimes hunts trough the range. I agree this tends to happen against overcast skies BUT then when can you expect autofocus to lock on grey cloud?
On my KR I found centre focus the best method but on the K5 the 11 point auto settng seems better even at extreme telephoto. I guess this is because its he upgraded version from the 645 model. I read Pentax are to improve things even more on the new K30.
It is true this lens sometimes hunts trough the range. I agree this tends to happen against overcast skies BUT then when can you expect autofocus to lock on grey cloud?
Posted 04/07/2012 - 00:25
Link
IMHO - the one weak point of the 55-300 is it really does not enjoy focusing in dull conditions at all.
I had exactly the same problem at the Sunderland Air Show last year. I had the Sigma 120-400 and the Pentax 55-300 + Kr and K5 - did not matter which body I put the Sigma on - it was fine - the 55-300 didn't matter which body either - very hard to get a lock on either
Carl
I had exactly the same problem at the Sunderland Air Show last year. I had the Sigma 120-400 and the Pentax 55-300 + Kr and K5 - did not matter which body I put the Sigma on - it was fine - the 55-300 didn't matter which body either - very hard to get a lock on either
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Posted 04/07/2012 - 00:44
Link
I brought a 55-300 back to Oz to sell but due to the wonderful light here and its IQ, I have held onto it. It may well be a different story in dull weather. However, that’s one reason I use other kit.
I don't really see a difference in AF between the K7 and K5; even the K10 is good with this lens in bright light.
So all in all, it's circumstantial. If the light is good, you’ll get acceptable performance as far as AF goes.
Best regards
I don't really see a difference in AF between the K7 and K5; even the K10 is good with this lens in bright light.
So all in all, it's circumstantial. If the light is good, you’ll get acceptable performance as far as AF goes.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 04/07/2012 - 08:15
Link
Overcast conditions will lead to poor contrast and make focusing difficult. Couple that to the slow focusing of the 55-300 and it will be tough. If you're photographing planes, surely pre-focusing manually will do the trick?
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 04/07/2012 - 08:49
Link
Ended up focussing manually. Normally hadnt had any issues but have only used it in good light so was wondering if this was normal.
Thanks for the replies.
Thanks for the replies.
Posted 04/07/2012 - 10:14
Link
Nowt wrong with sprouts Mike I'd happily eat them every day, nom, nom, nom
I have the 55-300 and found it performs well on good days, but on dull days it struggles - the DA*60-250 and 300 perform much better though.
I have the 55-300 and found it performs well on good days, but on dull days it struggles - the DA*60-250 and 300 perform much better though.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Posted 04/07/2012 - 10:36
Link
For ANY fast moving objects, I always recommend disabling the "Focus on Half Press" and pre-focussing using the AF button on the back (see custom settings)
That way the camera will shoot instantly when you press the shutter - it doesn't care if it's in focus.
You learn to focus with the thumb on the AF - kind of like assisted manual focus
Personally, I use centre focus only with this technique. Works exceptionally well in dark conditions too (e.g. stage work)
Works for me...
Matt
That way the camera will shoot instantly when you press the shutter - it doesn't care if it's in focus.
You learn to focus with the thumb on the AF - kind of like assisted manual focus
Personally, I use centre focus only with this technique. Works exceptionally well in dark conditions too (e.g. stage work)
Works for me...
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 04/07/2012 - 10:45
Link
MattMatic wrote:
That way the camera will shoot instantly when you press the shutter - it doesn't care if it's in focus.
Personally, I use centre focus only with this technique. Works exceptionally well in dark conditions too (e.g. stage work)
K-5 allows you to bypass AF lock so you can shoot instantly using the shutter button should you wish (although I also use the back button on my K-5 and 50D)That way the camera will shoot instantly when you press the shutter - it doesn't care if it's in focus.
Personally, I use centre focus only with this technique. Works exceptionally well in dark conditions too (e.g. stage work)
I found using the 5 middle points on the K-5 in AF-C worked very well although that was with the 50-500mm, the 55-300mm is too quirky for moving stuff.
Posted 04/07/2012 - 10:49
Link
Mike-P wrote:
I would rather eat Brussel sprouts
I too love brussel sprouts! I wouldn't even attempt to take a picture of something so challenging PERIOD let alone with a DA55-300mm. In general use (inanimate objects) I found the DA55-300mm extremely obstinate in it's focussing, so for me, manual focus was a better option and with focus peaking, and the much improved liveview on the K30, I would have thought the lens would be quite usable for general photography. As for airshow photography, I guess we'll have to wait for someone to actually try it! To be fair through the lens MF is probably better for airshows though...
I would rather eat Brussel sprouts
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.




141 posts
19 years
BELFAST
Any one have any tips advice to help me. Body is a k10d. Conditions overcast and wet for the mostpart.
Heading to riat on sunday and would like better performance/results.
Would i see much improvement with a k5.