poor af pentax 55-300

AndrewH
Posted 04/07/2012 - 18:37 Link
milamber wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
AndrewH wrote:

I really must start doing some PP on my shots. I have never done any!! What do you use, Mike?
No processing ...

Ruddy hell, I really am quite shocked by that .. it makes such a difference to the end product.

It will probably be the best £50/60 you ever spend.
I agree completely. I didn't process mine either for a long time - some stupidity about getting it right in the first place or some such nonsense

Once you get over the whole feeling that you are cheating somehow even a few seconds on it makes a huge difference to the finished photo. I'd be embarassed to show any of mine on here without it now. It opens the door to a whole new level of creativity as well.

I have Paintshop Pro X2, but reckon any of the main ones are absolutely fine. Plenty of free ones available too that will do a decent job.

Mike's treatment of the plane shot says it all really. It's amazing how much detail is waiting to be brought out.
Yes, I think there's a little (unrealistic!) purist in me, thinking that the photos are meant to be seen as they come out of the camera - I can't believe how much detail has come out of this photo, and that's just a jpeg crop!! I think the other thing for me is time...but then I guess you pick the very best shots and work on those, rather than working on them all. Last year at Waddington I had 400 shots

And I apologise that this thread has been somewhat hijacked and has now gone beyond the 55-300...
Edited by AndrewH: 04/07/2012 - 18:37
milamber
Posted 04/07/2012 - 19:50 Link
I don't process everything, but do have a quick and easy batch process set up that could do it. It really doesn't take that long at all, unless you are aiming for something very specific. The tower picture that won the weekly comp a while back took a fair bit longer as do some of the HDR's (which aren't good enough for here yet)

Actually I think this hijack is very useful. It shows that a lot of the time a new lens isn't actually necessary, despite our love of upgrading Not a thread to let our partner's see.......
Stuey
Posted 04/07/2012 - 20:10 Link
Mike-P wrote:
What's the matter with you people ... next you will be saying you love Marmite as well

Comment Image
My son loves Marmite
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Blythman
Posted 04/07/2012 - 20:45 Link
Marmite ... mmmmmmmmm !!!!!!!!
Alan


PPG
Flickr
johnriley
Posted 04/07/2012 - 23:36 Link
Back on topic please...
Best regards, John
Algernon
Posted 05/07/2012 - 10:37 Link
Were you concerned about the thread becoming a Sticky, John

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 05/07/2012 - 10:39
jeallen01
Posted 05/07/2012 - 17:11 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Overcast conditions will lead to poor contrast and make focusing difficult. Couple that to the slow focusing of the 55-300 and it will be tough. If you're photographing planes, surely pre-focusing manually will do the trick?
But only up to a point as this lens (more so than others) will often "hunt" badly if you leave the body AF engaged - then what WAS in focus no longer is because the lens has focused much closer! OH, for a minimum focus distance lock on this & many other lenses!

However, I typically use centre-point spot focus on the K-5, but maybe I need to try the 5-pt focus method as Mike-P suggests?

On a more general note, nowadays, I would never use the 55-300 for airshows for all the reasons the others have stated. The medium to long Sigmas (even the older ones that I have) are much better.

OTOH, the 55-300DA is my walkaround & holiday long zoom, because, when given time to focus, it can be startlingly sharp!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo