poor af pentax 55-300
Posted 04/07/2012 - 12:08
Link
I had a similar experience with my 55-300 on a grey day recently..lots of trouble focussing on fast jets in dull conditions. Not many great shots, but a couple that did seem to work ok (both crops here)

Imgp2218c by Andrew:H, on Flickr

Imgp2245c by Andrew:H, on Flickr
Looking forward to using it on a day with good light!
Oh and I'm with Mike on the marmite - uggghhh...

Imgp2218c by Andrew:H, on Flickr

Imgp2245c by Andrew:H, on Flickr
Looking forward to using it on a day with good light!
Oh and I'm with Mike on the marmite - uggghhh...
Posted 04/07/2012 - 13:15
Link
AndrewH wrote:
I really must start doing some PP on my shots. I have never done any!! What do you use, Mike?
No processing ... I really must start doing some PP on my shots. I have never done any!! What do you use, Mike?
Ruddy hell, I really am quite shocked by that .. it makes such a difference to the end product. The quick edit I did on yours was using the 128k file, given the original you could probably do a lot better.
I use Photoshop Elements most of the time, I have lightroom as well but Elements has a lot more tools.
It will probably be the best £50/60 you ever spend.
Posted 04/07/2012 - 13:37
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Dunno why but Pentax cameras always seem to have a blue tinge to them.
That first shot is great but with a little extra processing ...
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Sockpuppetuk/7500373078_482892cc14_c.jpg[/IMG]
I have been wondering why I was not keen on AWB outside and mainly use Cloudy setting!
Dunno why but Pentax cameras always seem to have a blue tinge to them.
That first shot is great but with a little extra processing ...
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Sockpuppetuk/7500373078_482892cc14_c.jpg[/IMG]
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Posted 04/07/2012 - 13:41
Link
beakynet wrote:
I have been wondering why I was not keen on AWB outside and mainly use Cloudy setting!
Must admit I don't worry about it as I always shoot raw and process accordingly but I find Pentax cameras nearly always get it wrong when doing air shows on cloudy days using AWB.
I have been wondering why I was not keen on AWB outside and mainly use Cloudy setting!
Posted 04/07/2012 - 13:42
Link
AndrewH wrote:
Hmmm..I was looking at an SMC-A 50mm 1.7 (is there no end to my LBA?), but am now thinking I perhaps do need to get some software. I have got Paint Shop Pro7..maybe I'll try that first and see how I get on!
Paint Shop Pro is great, however the software has moved on significantly since version 7.Hmmm..I was looking at an SMC-A 50mm 1.7 (is there no end to my LBA?), but am now thinking I perhaps do need to get some software. I have got Paint Shop Pro7..maybe I'll try that first and see how I get on!
If you are running Vista or Windows 7 I would upgrade to the latest version which I find suites all my needs. I started with Version 6, good for basic modifications and some basic layers work. The latest version adds tags and RAW processing.
You get a 1 month trial if you download so nothing to lose really.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Posted 04/07/2012 - 13:49
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Must admit I don't worry about it as I always shoot raw and process accordingly but I find Pentax cameras have always get it wrong when doing air shows on cloudy days using AWB.
I experianced the same when I went to Shuttleworth.Must admit I don't worry about it as I always shoot raw and process accordingly but I find Pentax cameras have always get it wrong when doing air shows on cloudy days using AWB.
Slow prop plans and a Tamron 70-300 actually worked very well for me on a dull day - did use some predictive focus. Panning technique needs a little work! 90% of my arial pictures were sharp enough for 5x7 prints with about 75-80% sharp enough for A4!
The dull day actually was good for metering as background was not overpoweringly bright. Still needed exposure compensation though.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Posted 04/07/2012 - 14:32
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Little more time on larger version and it's really starting to come alive now.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Sockpuppetuk/7500373078_a7075ed70e_k.jpg[/IMG]
And a dust spot has come into view....
Little more time on larger version and it's really starting to come alive now.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Sockpuppetuk/7500373078_a7075ed70e_k.jpg[/IMG]
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Posted 04/07/2012 - 14:51
Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
And a dust spot has come into view....
I'm not going to spend ages on it .. the edit was just to give an idea of what can be done with a little processing. And a dust spot has come into view....
If you could imagine it once a bit of time was spent you would have to wonder why you need more than a 55-300mm
Posted 04/07/2012 - 15:56
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Ruddy hell, I really am quite shocked by that .. it makes such a difference to the end product.
It will probably be the best £50/60 you ever spend.
I agree completely. I didn't process mine either for a long time - some stupidity about getting it right in the first place or some such nonsenseAndrewH wrote:
I really must start doing some PP on my shots. I have never done any!! What do you use, Mike?
No processing ... I really must start doing some PP on my shots. I have never done any!! What do you use, Mike?
Ruddy hell, I really am quite shocked by that .. it makes such a difference to the end product.
It will probably be the best £50/60 you ever spend.
Once you get over the whole feeling that you are cheating somehow even a few seconds on it makes a huge difference to the finished photo. I'd be embarassed to show any of mine on here without it now. It opens the door to a whole new level of creativity as well.
I have Paintshop Pro X2, but reckon any of the main ones are absolutely fine. Plenty of free ones available too that will do a decent job.
Mike's treatment of the plane shot says it all really. It's amazing how much detail is waiting to be brought out.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6794 posts
17 years
Nottingham