Picture Mounting & Framing

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 17/11/2009 - 13:05
Afternoon Everybody

Right then, sitting comfortably, then I'll begin. I need help and advice on whether anybody mounts and frames their own pics as this is something I would like to get into myself, I intend to turn our living room into something which resembles the National Portrait Gallery, but of course only with my work being shown. Is it some black mystical art which requires speciality tools or is it in reach of mere mortals like myself with a large hammer. And not forgetting, where is the best place to buy these wonderous framing materials?

All input greatly appreciated.
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies

davex

Link Posted 17/11/2009 - 13:13
I have 4 16x12 canvas prints on my dining room wall, I am very proud of them. The company I use are here, although they are not the cheapest the uploading is easy to do, delivery is next day, and the quality is superb. For me this is much easier than DIY.
May even take a photo when I get home from work.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

gartmore

Link Posted 17/11/2009 - 13:14
There is a Hobbycraft in Tamworth, they do a variety of frames with matching mounts, or you could buy a mount cutter to give your mounts a more individual look.

It takes practice, accuracy and care to cut mounts but it isn't difficult. Framing requires access to mouldings and jigs for bespoke ones.

Ikea ones are OK if you are on budget.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

fatspider

Link Posted 17/11/2009 - 13:45
I use a Jakar mount cutter same as this link
I get profesional results and its easy to use.

Before rushing out and buying one I would suggest you source out a local supplier of mounting board and compare the price with what you can get pre-cut mounts for, stores like Hobbycraft can be extortionately expensive compared to a wholesale supplier, a local camera club may be able to help in reccomending one, I pay less than £0.90 for a 20x16 (inches) board and it takes me less than 10 minutes to measure and cut the mount.
I mount quite a few prints for camera club competitions and buying pre-cut mounts would be an economic disaster.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

philstaff

Link Posted 17/11/2009 - 15:14
I use a picture frame stall on a market I have had a few portrait's mounted and framed there. For an A4 mount and frame it costs around £8. I usuly leave the print with them and pick it up in the frame before I leave the market.
Ian

grahamwalton

Link Posted 17/11/2009 - 16:07
Lion Picture Framing in Birmingham have a warehouse full of picture mounting equipment and materials.
Friendly Regards
Graham

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 17/11/2009 - 19:56
Thanks all for the info on kit, but how easy/hard is it?

SteveF

Link Posted 18/11/2009 - 10:34
I cut my own mounts, which I find easy enough with due care. I lack the tools/expertise to make frames and there are plenty of sources for reasonably priced ones. The only downside is that you are restricted to standard sizes.

I think you'd have to produce large numbers of good quality frames in order to justify your investment in tools and training time. (Just my opinion of course, others may differ)

grahamwalton

Link Posted 18/11/2009 - 14:50
I agree with the comments made by SteveF.
With a good Mount Cutter Jig and reasonable marking-out skills, mount cutting is a good option for a DIY person.
I also think that Picture Frames are best bought from a reasonable source.
Friendly Regards
Graham

pentaxian450

Link Posted 18/11/2009 - 15:07
I do mount pictures, and I use the paper cutter at our printing shop to do the cutting, Can't get more accurate than that. To actually "mount" the picture, I use an industrial product like the "Kodak Mounting Paper" and a hot iron. When the mounting paper is "sandwiched" between the picture and mounting base, you cover the picture with a sheet of plain paper and run a hot iron on it. The mounting paper is kind of like a sheet of hot melt glue. It makes a permanent bond.

edit: Google "dry mount tissue" to find a product similar to Kodak dry mounting paper.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Last Edited by pentaxian450 on 18/11/2009 - 15:12

PeteL

Link Posted 18/11/2009 - 17:06
For Framing i use a pootatuck Lion Mitre Trimmer bought over 20 years ago, You can make precision cuts with it even as fine as a hairs breadth. To assemble the frame i use a normal PVA wood glue and then fit string around the outside into which i place wooden wedges pushed tightly into the corners until the glue is completely dry. For the Mount i use a Logan Bevelled matt cutter and an aluminium rule with a stainless steel giude down one side. From one normal sheet of board i can get a double mount 40x50mm ish in size and one frame from a 9 ft length of moulding with enough offcuts to make another frame from every four lengths.Plus of couse the centre cut out of the mounting board can be used for smaller images.I get my 2mm glass either plain or non reflective cut by the local Undertakers! and i use 2mm MDF for the back cut with a stanley knife. I make small saw cuts around the edge of the board so that the tiny pins can be partially buried in the MDF. A small hammer is used to drive the pins into the frame. Then i apply brown paper tape over the pins and about 1/4 inch over the frame at the back. I finish off with brass eyes and gold coloured wire or Nylon cord, Allowing extra length so that it can be adjusted for mounting on a wall.

Hope that helps.

Regards - Pete.
Last Edited by PeteL on 18/11/2009 - 17:09

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 18/11/2009 - 19:56
Thanks guys for your responses, particularly Pete's, very informative

Right then were did I leave that lump hammer and sticky back plastic

redbusa99

Link Posted 12/12/2012 - 15:41
if it is just for yourself and you only need a few, charity shops are a good scource of cheap picture frames, if there is a picture in it just bin it,unless your lucky to find something special.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

AuraTodd

Link Posted 12/12/2012 - 19:39
Where is the best place to get the pictures printed before mounting them please?
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

redbusa99

Link Posted 12/12/2012 - 22:29
i print my own , but 4 of my friends use ProAm imaging for all of theirs and they seem very happy with the quality and price
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.