Oval Mask


Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 16:29
Hi All,

I would like to add an oval mask to a shot I'm currently playing with in Photoshop (PS7). ie I'm attempting to produce a sort of oval vignetting (a black suround) which will look better than my twirling a black brush around.

How do I do it?
None of the tabs give a clue (masks of any sort are greyed out). Help - doesn't.



Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 17:39
First select the area using the oval selection tool. Then inverse the selection. Then feather the selection, maybe up to 200 pixels. Then fill in with the desired colour. Then Edit>Fade Fill immediately if desired, to an appropriate amount.

Easier to show than describe!
Best regards, John



Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:07
Thanks John,
I managed the 1st part of your instruction, but got lost on the rest.
However I achieved what I wanted to do - It didn't look right with a solid black surround.

Here is the shot I was playing with.
It's 4 off portrait shots taken the other night from the bedroom window then stitched together to give a 120 degree panorama.
I kept the camera horizontal, but the upper 'rim' was a curve of the guttering (a tiny bit still shows) and this is what I wanted to remove.

C&C would be welcomed, as I think there is still room for improvement

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.