Photgraphing under 18s

Father Ted

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 13:02
Just wondering what the general take on this issue is?

I plan to get more cricket photos and evenings would be better for me. So I checked the website for the local cricket club and their under 18s have a match on Monday evening.

It is in a public park, not segregated in any way, so: Do I need permission? Should I ask permission and risk being turned down? Or do I sit on the boundary and snap away?

What are your thoughts guys?
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

johnriley

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 13:06
Whatever the technicalities of the law may be, I would ask permission and, if necessary, get that from all the parents. If people start to object, then walk away from the situation and don't get involved with it.
Best regards, John

Father Ted

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 13:33
I suppose that is the courteous thing to do.

I'll go into the clubhouse and ask.

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Spad

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 14:40
It may be an idea to get a CRB Check.

Go here

With this it will make it a lot easier to approach clubs, schools etc. I am an action photographer and I am going to get one then approach schools to shoot sporting events.

With a CRB people maybe a lot more entertaining knowing that you have been vetted.
Rock and Roll ain't a music genre...

IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!!!

Father Ted

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 14:52
I'm already police vetted, ( for my job ), but these will just be photos for me, I'm not planning of selling / giving them to the club.
( Unless I fluke a really good shot ).

Anvh

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 17:56
It's most likely you wouldn't be the only one with a camera, if that is the case I wouldn't worry too much, but hey that's me and I live in a different country.

Only way I would be worried about is if you sell them but that isn't the case as you said.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Don

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 18:15
Have your background check handy, have some cards with your contact info handy, have model releases handy, call then email the club and let them know you'll be there, and be willing to share/sell any good shots you get, but you won't use anything for commercial purposes without the parents signed consent.

all your bases covered.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 27/07/2009 - 18:16

titchgamer

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 18:29
Thats sounds a good call Don.

I did a similar thing with that dance I shot. I offered to sell any good shots anybody wanted and everyone was happy once they knew I was there and not useing them for anything other than practice.

Anvh: Unfortunatly over here people are very funny and suspicious of anyone and everyone, especially people with cameras! People dont seem to have a issue with calling cops or just laying into you before actually bother to ask you politely as poor Amin knows to well!!
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk

Anvh

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 18:41
titchgamer wrote:
Anvh: Unfortunatly over here people are very funny and suspicious of anyone and everyone, especially people with cameras! People dont seem to have a issue with calling cops or just laying into you before actually bother to ask you politely as poor Amin knows to well!!

There was a topic last week about a police man being filmed.
Some said harsh word like that you can not take normal photographs in the UK anymore and then some of you said it isn't that bad and that we shouldn't worried too much so... are they lying?

Also they are doing an event in a public place, isn't it normal that people take photographs?
If you don't want people taking photographs then not do such event in a public place it is as simple as that.
It's like going to the swimming pool and then getting mad because you got wet

Some harsh words here but I simply want to know what the deal is in the UK since everybody says something else in different topics.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 27/07/2009 - 18:42

Buddhy

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 18:46
I'll just mention here that I have experience with CRB checks because of where I work and don't leave anything until the last minute if it turns out that you need one for something. They can sometimes take months (4 months, maybe more) depending on how busy they are. On the other hand it can also take 2 weeks...

Just FYI.
Pentax K20D / Sony DSC-T2
My new blog: http://mypentaxpictures.blogspot.com/

mikew

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:18
This is ridiculous all he wants to do is to take photographs in a public place.

As far as I know he does not even need to ask permission but it would be polite to do so.

End of.

If there's an issue I am confident that the good father will handle it diplomatically. CRB checks - stuff and nonsense and he has it anyway.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

Spad

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:25
It's just the way things have gone...

As photographers we do have quite a free range on what we can do but in certain areas there are rules, some unwritten and some just common sense.

You don't have to have permission but when photographing children or children's events it always better to be cautious than end up in a world of pooh... Maybe you are doing something innocent but it only takes one fool to start throwing verbal mud about for it to stick!
Rock and Roll ain't a music genre...

IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!!!
Last Edited by Spad on 27/07/2009 - 20:25

mikew

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:29
Don't be a victim.

A sporting event in a public place is fair game. Certainly be respectful but don't make a meal of it and I don't think the father was going to. Sounds to me like he had the right idea at the outset. It also sounds like he works with young people and hence has a good understanding of what's sensible and what's not.

As Amin's experience shows it takes one fool to raise an issue and they are revealed as the fool, not you.

Don't be a victim!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

titchgamer

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:33
Well put Spad.

Yes there is no law as such which says you cant photography things in public places but there are alot of over the top people out there these days and over protective parents.
Afterall they are trying to wrap us all up in cotton wool aint they?
Best to be safe rather than sorry and ask permission first.

1) Its just courtesy

2) and ime not saying you would come accross one of these sad people but there are people around who would rather beat the hell out of you, stamp on ure camera and ask why u were taking photos of his son afterwards.
Lil Andy

titchgamer

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:35
Yes Amin was certainly innocent and no fool but he had to go through alot of hassle to prove that, in what is in essence now a prove ure innocent world instead of the proven guilty it used to be.
Lil Andy

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.