Photgraphing under 18s

Spad

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:44
mikew wrote:
Don't be a victim.

A sporting event in a public place is fair game. Certainly be respectful but don't make a meal of it and I don't think the father was going to. Sounds to me like he had the right idea at the outset. It also sounds like he works with young people and hence has a good understanding of what's sensible and what's not.

As Amin's experience shows it takes one fool to raise an issue and they are revealed as the fool, not you.

Don't be a victim!

Mike

I ain't a victim... It's about being sensible. A local guy round here was just snapping away at some kids in a big park we have here a good few years back and someone cried wolf. He ended up in the nick for 12+ hours and being treated like scum and all he was doing was just taking photo's nothing more...

I have had a few run ins in the past for taking photo's and believe me I stand my ground. I will stand up for my rights...
At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....

titchgamer

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:48
Quote:
A local guy round here was just snapping away at some kids in a big park we have here a good few years back and someone cried wolf. He ended up in the nick for 12+ hours and being treated like scum and all he was doing was just taking photo's nothing more...

Exactly...

Ive had the misfortune of meeting people like this who act first and think later on numerous occasions, Not just in regards to photography but there everywhere!!

I remember being attacked by a man in the centre of a tescos store once because he thought ide made some snide remark to his wife!
(which I hadn't btw!!)

Ure not even safe doing ure shopping anymore :-s
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk

Aiki

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:49
I guess there will be tons of people photographing....
Of course its nice to be polite, but...
Cant see any reason for not allowing it !

The difference is when you want to go to the places where public is generally not allowed to go. Then permission is needed. And you need to know the "rules".

At least it is so here...
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG

Anvh

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:52
Just a side note... how do you know who is a parent or not... will you ask everybody who is watching the game if it is alright to take a photo?

Like Mike said don't be a victim and enjoy the game
Everyone is aware that a public sport event will attract people. If parents are have something against that people will look at their child or record him playing a cricket match then they shouldn't let their child play in such a public event to begin with.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Anvh

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 20:55
Spad wrote:
I ain't a victim... It's about being sensible. A local guy round here was just snapping away at some kids in a big park we have here a good few years back and someone cried wolf. He ended up in the nick for 12+ hours and being treated like scum and all he was doing was just taking photo's nothing more...

I have had a few run ins in the past for taking photo's and believe me I stand my ground. I will stand up for my rights...

That is a bit different then making photos of a public event don't you agree?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 27/07/2009 - 20:56

titchgamer

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 21:01
I agree with you 100% on that one Anvh.

As for whos who normally club members know all other members and familys so usualy spot a outsider easily lol.

The thing is people playing sports be it cricket or football are dressed sensibly, they are not poseing or "revealing" themselfs so there should be no harm in snapping them in a public place.
Afterall a good percentage of people are good natured and mean no harm, I wouldnt mind having my photo taken playing cricket. It never bothered people taking photos of me at the martial arts tournaments. I found it flattering that someone actually wanted to LOL

Unfortunatly it is that small minority of people you have to be weary of.

:-s
Lil Andy

Spad

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 21:07
Anvh wrote:
Spad wrote:

That is a bit different then making photos of a public event don't you agree?

Definitely mate but where children are involved it can get silly and out of hand very quickly... It's a bit different with relatives snapping away rather than having someone there with a load of top kit etc... Saying that tho most people would probably think a press photographer or something of that nature.

But sadly it only takes one person to say something and it can very very quickly descend into something nasty...

Which exploded....

mikew

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 21:12
Perhaps I just live somewhere less stressful as once again I don't recognise the country that's being described.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

Anvh

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 21:20
titchgamer wrote:
Unfortunatly it is that small minority of people you have to be weary of.

Do you mean weary of that they send the police after you or that they attend to do harm with those photos?

They are everywhere both kind but with such a public event even if the kids are bit more exposed so to say (sounds very weird to say that ) they (parents, supervisors, coaches, etc.) are of course aware that photos will be taking of people you don't know when preforming in public.
If things go wrong it's never pleasant but when we start fearing the few "bad" ones, then we might be better stop living right now if they would take our fun away.

You're simply going to a cricket match and take photos, what is the harm in that?
Just put things in perspective and don't make more out of it then what it is.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Spad

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 21:21
I agree it's sad state of affairs...

I have had people coming up to me when I have been out shooting cars and bikes. One woman came over screaming and shouting, saying her friend had checked on the internet and that what i was doing was doing was illegal...

I just laughed at her told her to phone the police, which she did not. I also told her to have a better look on the web.

I had someone call me a pervert because I was taking a photo of a bird (as in feathered type!) on a roof... I can't repeat where I told them to shove their faces on here!

People are very quick to point fingers and assume you are doing something illegal. I even had a stop and search at Manchester airport when I was on my way down to the viewing enclosure and all I did was get my camera out of my rucksack!

It's just going bloody stupid...

Which exploded....

titchgamer

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 21:59
Quote:
Do you mean weary of that they send the police after you or that they attend to do harm with those photos?

Both...
Lil Andy

Father Ted

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 22:41
Oh dear...what have I started

mikew wrote:

A sporting event in a public place is fair game. Certainly be respectful but don't make a meal of it

That was my initial thought, but then I thought, "What if..."

Quote:
It also sounds like he works with young people

Mike

Nope, I am police vetted because I work in the security industry.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Karl

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 23:07
My advice would be to shoot from a discreetly parked vehicle with blacked out windows.

Father Ted

Link Posted 27/07/2009 - 23:22
I guess that'd work...or have me arrested
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

pnjmcc

Link Posted 28/07/2009 - 00:45
Karl wrote:
My advice would be to shoot from a discreetly parked vehicle with blacked out windows.

Not sure if this is a tounge in cheek comment or not (theres no smilies to give it away) if it isn't I would have thought this would give the impression of being seedy ?.

Personally at the few events I have taken pictures of, I have introduced myself to as many team people as possible (players, coaches managers etc)as they will be the subjects, explained that I am shooting pics as practise for myself, and not for any commercial reason, given out my email address, and offered to show people my images afterwards. I also used to wear a Hi-Vis vest to be as obvious as possible (unless I was asked to remove it if it was causing a distraction).

I didn't have a problem (admittedly this was over 12 months ago when I was last in the uk), plus the more you attend the more accepted you will be once people have got to know you.

Just my 2 pence

Regards
PaulM
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.