Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photgraphing hedgehogs

Robert42
Posted 26/06/2015 - 16:54 Link
I have a regular visiting hedgehog, that arrives around 2300. I would like to get some pictures while it is feeding, but I don't really want to use flash for fear of hurting its eyes. I have a halogen security light that lights up the area for short time, which does not seem to bother it. What would be the best settings to use with a K-r and Sigma 70-300 lens?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Robert
K70 from SRS - Learning how to get the best from K70 and my existing glass.
Robert42
Posted 27/06/2015 - 11:24 Link
I managed it last night. Night scene set, ISO at auto and aperture priority at F8. Got a shot of it at dusk/ not quite dark and edited in PSE. Later a second one appeared but the lens would not autofocus as it was too dark, so I suppose I should see about getting some additional lighting.
Robert
K70 from SRS - Learning how to get the best from K70 and my existing glass.
Algernon
Posted 27/06/2015 - 12:06 Link
I can't see the picture...... Maybe it's still dark!

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Chrism8
Posted 27/06/2015 - 12:55 Link
Robert42 wrote:
I managed it last night. Night scene set, ISO at auto and aperture priority at F8. Got a shot of it at dusk/ not quite dark and edited in PSE. Later a second one appeared but the lens would not autofocus as it was too dark, so I suppose I should see about getting some additional lighting.

If the security lights don't bother them, have you tried a torch to aid focusing.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Edited by Chrism8: 27/06/2015 - 12:55
SteveLedger
Posted 28/06/2015 - 03:18 Link
Generally flashes don't bother animals/birds. Happens so fast it hardly registers. They experience lightning storms after all.
Be good to see your results.
Blythman
Posted 28/06/2015 - 09:40 Link
Just use flash, but dial it down a bit. Remember it is supposed to be dark. Here's a quick grab from my garden. I did have to do some processing on the eyes.

Comment Image
Courting Couple in my garden by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Alan

PPG
Flickr
johnriley
Posted 28/06/2015 - 09:44 Link
That's a lovely shot Alan, spot on.
Best regards, John
dcweather
Posted 29/06/2015 - 00:30 Link
Flash is usually ok for animals and birds in terms of their well being providing you don't over do it. The eyes almost always need some PP. Birds rarely look quite right to me, even if a bit of fill flash is used.
Brilliant to get hedgehogs in the garden. All gone for me now and they could well be extinct in ten years time
Darkmunk
Posted 29/06/2015 - 10:49 Link
johnriley wrote:
That's a lovely shot Alan, spot on.

Bit dark tho isn't it?
I lightened it up in the middle and left the edges dark for the ambiance; that looked better to me.
johnriley
Posted 29/06/2015 - 14:07 Link
Quote:
Bit dark tho isn't it?

Hedgehogs are nocturnal, so no, I don't personally think it's too dark. It's a matter of choice though, so I can see that some might want to see more detail in a lighter image.
Best regards, John
Darkmunk
Posted 29/06/2015 - 14:34 Link
Quote:
Quote:
Bit dark tho isn't it?

Hedgehogs are nocturnal, so no,

He he, I know what you're saying, but that doesn't really make sense. Otherwise all night time photographs would have nothing in them, especially in print.
I lightened the subject and kept the background dark with a subtle gradation between the two as if lit gently by a broad source. Still looked dark, but you could see something
McGregNi
Posted 29/06/2015 - 14:48 Link
The challenge with flash is to make it look soft and natural ... Not like that typical 'hedgehog in headlights' look!

We can do whatever we want with brightness, but without some massive soft box covering the scene, eventually it'll reach an unnatural flash-lit stage in look.

White balance is another challenge ... Is it fair to say that with flash as the only lighting then the flash WB preset is best? I wonder if dialing in more yellow adjustment will make it look like there was some tungsten lighting on?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Darkmunk
Posted 29/06/2015 - 15:29 Link
If you know where the animals will be, it's simple enough to fire an off-camera flash through some tracing paper for a broad, soft spread, but still quite local (not washing out the scene). Flash in a card board box with paper at the end, placed down on the lawn for instance.
Flash gels will solve any localised blue hue. You can buy sample packs of hundreds of colours for about 3 quid. Just tear 'em out and tape them to your flash.
Blythman
Posted 29/06/2015 - 18:17 Link
This wasn't a planned shot. It was a one off. I see a hedgehog in the garden most nights, and haven't bothered photographing it. But this was a male and a female. He was trying to mate with her (which was the shot I wanted), though she was having none of it. So, no chance to get my out my strobes, with softboxes....LOL. Went from seeing them to taking the shot in about 5 minutes and that included finding batteries for my flash. 5 minutes later he'd given up and went looking elsewhere. The initial result was brighter but I've toned it down to make it as near to natural as I dare given it was 11:20pm. Everyone will have there interpretation though
Alan

PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 29/06/2015 - 19:48 Link
Yeah, you see .. That's the trouble with proper flash and all the paraphernalia that goes with it ..... Even a hedgehog courtship ritual takes less time.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.