Pentax Roadmap

K30git

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 12:41
The K3 looks fabulous.

Does it mean I'm going to have to wait longer for a Pentax FF?

Algernon

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 12:59
No it's usually released the day after!
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 13:31
K30git wrote:
The K3 looks fabulous.

Does it mean I'm going to have to wait longer for a Pentax FF?

I'm guessing at least 12 months, if not longer.

But then Pentax have never actually promised Full Frame to begin with.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Mongoose

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 13:35
The situation with Pentax 35mm remains the same as it has always been. The project was cancelled in 2000 when the MZ-D had insurmountable difficulties.

There has been no officially confirmed intention from Pentax or any of its owners to enter the 35mm DSLR market.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Pentaxonian

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 13:36
Pentax user base is small and those who want FF is even lower.
They should make the 645 smaller and better for those who want a larger format
K5iis and a couple of lenses.
Last Edited by Pentaxonian on 08/10/2013 - 13:37

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 13:54
Comparing the 645D to FF is apples and oranges. Plus if the Pentax FF userbase is small, how small do you think the 645D user base is going to be?

Should the K3 capture a lot of interest (and hopefully some market share) maybe an FF will be on the cards. I believe Pentax will always struggle a bit, though, without an FF body to put at the top of the Xmas tree. People invest in APSC kit with an eye to one day going FF... which is one of the reasons they go with Canikon.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

walkeja

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 14:17
Why all the interest in FF. They are very expensive.

Also, I'm not disappointed with the images from all the Pentax DSLRs I have used from a *istDL2, K10 and K5.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

johnriley

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 14:42
Quote:
People invest in APSC kit with an eye to one day going FF

Not necessarily, in fact I certainly didn't and I can't be alone. FF never came into the equation at all. Once the 12-24mm arrived the wide angle needs were satisfied and that was the only issue for me.
Best regards, John

fritzthedog

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 14:53
walkeja wrote:
Why all the interest in FF. They are very expensive.

Also, I'm not disappointed with the images from all the Pentax DSLRs I have used from a *istDL2, K10 and K5.

Now you see that comment just shows how ignorant we 'C fans' are. We need to remember the following:

1. FF is more expensive - which must mean we would take better photographs
2. The Pros use FF - therefore if we had one - we would be pros
3. FF handles low light better - which means we could take photographs of things we can not see
4. FF gives you a smaller DoF - so we can stop spending money on fast glass - which is just as well as we will not have any spare money after
paying for FF

Oh and let's not forget the improved fitness we will attain by carting bigger and heavier gear around.

Have I missed anything?

No FF ing to see here - move along
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Papa_Lazarou

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 15:05
I'm still waiting for the DA* 16-85mm. When is that due?
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

DrOrloff

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 15:06
It depends what is meant by very expensive. The Nikon D600 is 1361, the Canon 6D a little more. To some that is unaffordable full frame, to others the difference from the K3 is less than the cost of a decent lens. It would be nice to have that kind of choice with Pentax.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Pentaxonian

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 15:09
How many current lenses are FF?

Pentax does not need FF.
They need to improve the lens line up. Mirrorless is the future and they should improve upon the the APS C size K01
Pentax Q is not the future.
K5iis and a couple of lenses.

RussV

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 15:15
I'm looking forward to seeing all the brilliant FF pictures that couldn't be taken on APS-C
www.russv.me.uk

andrewk

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 15:21
fritzthedog wrote:
The Pros use FF - therefore if we had one - we would be pros

Aspiration affects purchasing decisions at all levels in the marketplace. I think I would go one step further than your analysis. It probably goes .... "Pros use FF - Brand X make FF cameras - if I/we buy Brand X then I/we would be (like) pros".

This is, at least partly, the reason why Ricoh/Pentax must ultimately launch a FF camera if they are to stay in the DSLR market. The other part is that, in a few years time, FF will dominate the market and APS-C sales will wither.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

DrOrloff

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 15:22
RussV wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing all the brilliant FF pictures that couldn't be taken on APS-C

Take a look at the gallery in the colour balance in the landscape feature article, particularly the night shots such as this. The clean detail in the sky is gorgeous, I haven't seen anything in APSC that can hold a candle to that.
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 08/10/2013 - 15:40
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.