Pentax/Ricoh forums ?

snappychappy

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 17:51
Will the purchase of Pentax by Ricoh have any effect on the forums. Will Ricoh equuipment and images from there cameras begin to make appearances here. What if Ricoh rebrand the pentax name as Ricoh !!!

Your views..................
My piccies.

Gwyn

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 17:58
I'd say we wait and see what happens.

It may be OK to have Ricoh cameras from after October on here - but those from before? Nah - they are nothing to do with Pentax.

I can't see Ricoh doing a Sony and rebranding the cameras - at least not the DSLRs and the 645D.

Anvh

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:05
I think it would be the same as with Samsung, so only Pentax equivalent since Ricoh are keeping the Pentax name alive.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Don

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:08
Gwyn wrote:
I'd say we wait and see what happens.

It may be OK to have Ricoh cameras from after October on here - but those from before? Nah - they are nothing to do with Pentax.

I can't see Ricoh doing a Sony and rebranding the cameras - at least not the DSLRs and the 645D.

Sony had much, much much higher brand recognition worldwide compared to minolta... made sense for sony to go that route. Ricoh on the otherhand would do well to brand all it's cameras under Pentax and use Ricoh for thier office equipment lines of products... there would've been no benifit to buying the Pentax name otherwise...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Algernon

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:14
I'm surprised Ricoh haven't made a statement about what
they are going to do? Pentax's suppliers need to know as
well.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Gwyn

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:16
Don I agree, but there has been talk of the Optios becoming Ricohs.

I hope Richoh come with a statement soon. It would be good to have an idea of their plans.

Anvh

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:21
Algernon wrote:
I'm surprised Ricoh haven't made a statement about what
they are going to do? Pentax's suppliers need to know as
well.

I think you haven't read everything

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1309543593.html

Quote:
On completion of the Acquisition, Ricoh will begin to use the PENTAX brand name for some of its digital camera products, and HOYA will continue to use the PENTAX brand name for their endoscopes and other products.

-snip-

3. Strategic objectives for Ricoh
The goal of the Acquisition is to establish a firmer presence in the consumer business, which has been a considerable challenge for Ricoh.

Ricoh believes that the borderline between office and home will fade and this will be reflected in a major change in products and services. Ricoh aims to provide more consumer--oriented offerings not only in the field of digital cameras but also video conferencing systems, network appliances, and others, to their customers around the world. The Acquisition is the first step in this direction.

Ricoh intends to maximize the synergy from the merger between Ricoh's digital camera business and PENTAX Imaging System Business in various ways.

1. Strengthening the digital camera business
- Enhanced interchangeable-lens cameras to meet expected future growth
- Expansion of product lineup and interchangeable lens portfolio

2.Creation of new business delivering added value to consumers
- Creation and development of value-added businesses such as making it easy to view, save and retouch photos.

3. Other benefits
-Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital cameras
-Expansion of security related products

Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:30
The approach with DSLRs seems fairly obvious... have Ricoh somewhere on the body but PENTAX emblazoned across the front of the prism. I'm not sure about the compact range, as Pentax has greater consumer recognition (just) but Ricoh has a better reputation for enthusiast's compacts. And Ricoh won't want to throw their entire brand identity away.

I bet they're glad to get their hands on Pentax's SR system... the anti-shake system in Ricoh's compacts is apparently provided by a third party.

As far as the forum goes, if Ricoh have bought the Pentax brand, I think all Ricoh camera's should be allowed on the forum. The division between the brands becomes a bit meaningless, certainly with regard to compact cameras anyway.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 15/07/2011 - 18:32

johnriley

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:45
The deal isn't completed yet, so it's a bit soon to say what will happen to the Pentax-dedicated forums. I suspect they will continue to be Pentax-dedicated forums, as the brand is set to continue.
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:47
Here's hoping for a Ricoh sub-forum at some stage anyway!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Anvh

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:57
Why not just make it a Pentax-Ricoh forum?
The more the merry, right?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Algernon

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:58
Thanks for that link Stefan.

I noticed further down the page that Pentax USA is moving.....
so not waiting for Ricoh then

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_18436431
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Gwyn

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 21:05
Algernon wrote:
Thanks for that link Stefan.

I noticed further down the page that Pentax USA is moving.....
so not waiting for Ricoh then

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_18436431

At least most people have a vague idea of where Denver is, which is more than can be said of Golden. Or Langley for that matter .

Hardgravity

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 08:05
I've nothing against Ricoh, the pocket cameras they make are superb.

But letting compact owners loose on the forum could result in a rush of threads and postings which could dilute the DSLR side.

If the Ricoh compact users want to join then fine, but a section for their cameras may be a good move.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 08:11
Hardgravity wrote:
I've nothing against Ricoh, the pocket cameras they make are superb.

But letting compact owners loose on the forum could result in a rush of threads and postings which could dilute the DSLR side.

If the Ricoh compact users want to join then fine, but a section for their cameras may be a good move.

Can't they just use the existing, little used, Optio section?
Does it matter if they join in the other areas too? Maybe they'll want a DSLR then?
I'm still not sure Ricohs made before the merger should be allowed, as they are nothing to do with Pentax, but I'm nit-picking I know.
Tbh I can't see there being a sudden rush of Ricoh users joining.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.