Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lake District this September

wvbarnes
Posted 09/08/2011 - 10:45 Link
Hi all,

We're off for a family holiday in the English Lake District the first week in September staying just north of Keswick.

Any tips for good photo locations for this (almost) over photographed area?

I'll be taking my KR with Sigma 10 - 20, Pentax 18 - 55 and 55 - 300 DA along with a full tryout of the used 2x Teleplus I've acquired if the Ospreys at Bassenthwaite are still about!

My son Adam is a wheelchair user but will be keen to make the most of his K20D kit (still a lovely camera). I have a book of accessible walks although some are still impassable since the 2009 storms.

I'll hopefully have something worthwhile to post on our return!
bforbes
Posted 09/08/2011 - 11:12 - Helpful Comment Link
I enjoy the walk from Keswick to Thelkeld along the old railway. We have had a wheelchair user along parts of it.
Well used, but worth it, Keswick town centre to Friars Grag and Calfclose Bay.
alfamelba
Posted 09/08/2011 - 12:33 - Helpful Comment Link
The Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum is well worth a visit - stunning views and lots of interesting machinery. May be quite hard going for a wheelchair user though and the mine itself would be inaccessible.
Pentax K-x, 18-55 DAL, 18-250 DA, 50-300 DA, Tamron 10-24 Di II, Pentax DA 40 XS, DA 15, 21 & 35 Ltds, Sigma 170-500 APO, A 50 F2.0, Vivitar PKA 2x converter, Jessops PKA extension tubes. Samsung GX-10, 18-55.
Pentax Q, Q7 + 01 + 02 + 03 + 06, Pentax 110 50 + 70mm, Soligor 1.7x TC, 110 to Q adapter.
Pentax ME Super, MG, K1000, Cosina CS-1 (+auto attachment).
Various PK lenses.
Blythman
Posted 09/08/2011 - 12:45 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Bill

You could try Trotters World of Animals http://www.trottersworld.co.uk/ Someof my very first DSLR pics were taken there with a newly acquired K-x. Some are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/54050400@N05/page24/

I'm heading that way in a few weeks staying at Ruthwaite. I think the female osprey will be just about due to leave (if she hasn't already). The male stays behind to give fishing lessons for a few more weeks. I'd be interested in any info thats available on them.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
johnriley
Posted 09/08/2011 - 13:27 - Helpful Comment Link
It depends on the sort of thing you like and which part of the Lakes you are in.

Muncaster Castle near Ravenglass would be a favourite stop for me, plenty to do and good wheelchair access as well.

As for South Lakes, as mentioned previously elsewhere South Lakes Wild Animal Park, Sizergh Castle(NT), Levens Hall and South Lakes Motor Museum are all along the same stretch and all worth a visit.
Best regards, John
Frogherder
Posted 09/08/2011 - 17:06 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Bill, You haven't given an age range for your son. That might make a difference.

In south lakes there is a steam railway that meets up with the steamer boat that runs up/down Windemere

The visitors centre at BNFL (Sellafield) may be of interest

regards
Bernard
marklj
Posted 09/08/2011 - 17:57 - Helpful Comment Link
Muncaster is superb - owl sanctuary offers some great photo opportunities. They also feed the herons at 4ish in the afternoon. About 20 or so Herons swooping down onto he gardens is a sight worth getting the long lens out for. Easy access to most spots on the estate. You could combine this with a trip on the l'al ratty railway at Ravenglass - takes you up into the foothills and is good fun.

There is wheelchair access to the top of Latrigg from the car park at the top of the lane that leads up to the Skiddaw access point. Great views down over Keswick - in fact in my opinion its a better view than the one from Skiddaw itself. NT redid the path a wee while ago just for disabled access.

Buttermere has a very good path all the way round it - nice and even although the best views are from the foot of the Red Pike end looking up towards Fleetwith. Never really thought about the wheelchair access side of things but you could definitely get down to the nice view of Fleetwith.

Most of the Lakes have decent steamer services - I especially like Ullswater. Stops off at Howtown although there isn't really scope for wheelchair access other than to a nice wee beach area a few yards from the pier.

Fairly sure there is fairly decent wheelchair access to Tarn Hows. Beautiful spot and in September there might be a wee bit of colour coming in the trees. It really is a lovely spot.

I'll have a wee think about other spots. I've never really thought about wheelchair access before but I'll see what I can come up with.
wvbarnes
Posted 09/08/2011 - 22:07 Link
Many thanks to all,

Our son Adam had an accident 10 years ago and is now 27. He is pretty independant, drives an adapted car and still likes to have one holiday a year with us. He has a very good eye for a photo with his Pentax K20D and did New Zealand with a friend last year. Amazingly good country for helping disabled travellers he reports.

I'll take a print out of the suggestions with us. We just need the weather to be kind although dramatic weather can bring dramatic photos in those parts!

Thanks again

Bill
bforbes
Posted 09/08/2011 - 22:55 Link
wvbarnes wrote:
We just need the weather to be kind although dramatic weather can bring dramatic photos in those parts!

In the lakes always prepare for the rain. I'm not saying it always rains but....
one thing I do find, the weather there is very local. I've been in Grassmere and seen nothing but rain. Gone back to Keswick (12Miles) and been told the sun was out all day.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.