Pentax Q - what aspect ratio

BigJR
Posted 14/08/2012 - 20:07 Link
milamber wrote:
BigJR wrote:


I'm more enthusiastic about the Q than I have been about a camera for a long time. Really enjoying getting to grips with it.
Why is that? I've seen plenty of people expressing similar feelings, but no-one really explains why. It seems to have a number of shortcomings compared with a DSLR, but plenty of people prefer it.
Depends which way you look at it.

From my own perspective, DSLRs have a lot of drawbacks compared to the Q. Big and bulky, treated with suspicion, rarely with me when I need them (when I owned them that is).

The Q on the other hand is small, inconspicuous yet still affords me full control. Telephoto focal lengths should also be easily and cheaply attainable.

Above all, it fills me with the desire to take photographs, and that is worth more than anything.

To explain further, there is nothing I hate more than a 'staged' photo. My partners family are the worst for it. Every photo of theirs is the same, the same people stood the same way with the same look on their face. Only the backgrounds change. I love candid shots, capturing what happens between the staged photos. The bigger the camera the harder it is to capture this. Smartphones are amongst the best for this, being discrete, but they lack the manual control and suffer with shutter lag, etc. This is where I hope the Q will shine.
Edited by BigJR: 14/08/2012 - 20:26
alig
Posted 14/08/2012 - 20:28 Link
Loving my Q, it has rekindled my enthusiasim for taking images once again. Being so small and pocketable I can take it anywhere and everywhere.

As for ratio, I'm still 'stuck' on 1:1 and love it. Always like the sQuare format.

"The best camera is the one you have on you" Chase Jarvis
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR
MattMatic
Posted 14/08/2012 - 21:09 Link
It's like saying that an iPod Touch/iPhone can replace a desktop
They each have their own strengths
The Q is a lovely complement to the bigger dSLRs. It's incredibly accesible, easy to use, takes good to great photos, is discrete, and above all a lot of fun! (battery life is pretty bad though - about half day shooting)

Would I replace my K-5? Never. But I'd take the Q more often to places there might not be 'serious' photo opportunities and will be likely to get some pretty excellent snaps at least.

Quote:
"The best camera is the one you have on you" Chase Jarvis
Absolutely

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
judderman62
Posted 19/08/2012 - 17:03 Link
MattMatic wrote:
The RAW will be just that

But the embedded JPG can have its aspect ratio & filters set (along with the +JPG too of course).

Matt
so not able to select dng like with the K5 and K 200 D ?
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
MattMatic
Posted 20/08/2012 - 10:24 Link
The Q is DNG only
Which means it'll work out of the box with any DNG-capable RAW converter
(i.e. no option for PEF)
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Edited by MattMatic: 20/08/2012 - 10:24
judderman62
Posted 20/08/2012 - 20:39 Link
ahhhh that is good news

ta for that
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
MattMatic
Posted 21/08/2012 - 09:25 Link
Should have added that LR has the correction profiles for the lenses already - otherwise there's some serious distortion to correct
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
johnriley
Posted 21/08/2012 - 10:53 Link
Or the camera can correct its own JPEGs very nicely as well.
Best regards, John
judderman62
Posted 21/08/2012 - 22:15 Link
that's odd i'm on LR3 and sure I saw no q lenses listed ... have i missed something ?
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
MattMatic
Posted 22/08/2012 - 10:03 Link
Not sure where the lens profiles come from... but I'm on LR4.1 and they're there. You may find the profiles in the ACR update too
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
judderman62
Posted 22/08/2012 - 20:15 Link
hmmm have to see if I can find out if one can update lens profiles and how

thanks Matt
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
MattMatic
Posted 23/08/2012 - 09:40 Link
Quote:
hmmm have to see if I can find out if one can update lens profiles and how
Try installing/updating the latest Adobe Camera Raw
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
judderman62
Posted 23/08/2012 - 21:28 Link
is that a plug in or some such or what sorry I'm not that familiar

ta
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Posted 29/08/2012 - 21:50 Link
Try updating ACR, as had been said. Also update LR3 to LR3.6. I have just checked that both the 01 and 02 Q lenses are included in the list of lenses on 3.6

Hope this helps mate.
Some Cameras
judderman62
Posted 29/08/2012 - 22:04 Link
cheers fella
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo