Pentax lens repairs?

Steep

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 16:00
I've managed to scratch the front element of my DA* 300mm I've emailed JPS and am awaiting a reply but are there any other service centres that I can get a quote from?

johnriley

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 16:09
How bad is the scratch? If it's only minor, the chances are it will have no effect on image quality. It could create a little flare if the light hits at a particular angle.

Even deep scratches can be dealt with, by carefully filling with black paint. Providing we don't go too far with this, the technique has been used over decades and it prevents the flare problem. As we are not focusing on the surface of the front element we can't see the defect.
Best regards, John

Steep

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 17:28
Lots of little scratches John, I'll clean it up and post a pic in a while. Basically the tripod tipped over and it fell face down onto a stone beach. It's still usable but there are definite artefacts visible on images.

Steep

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 17:41
The scratch on the left is the worst one, more of a chip out of the glass. Many of the others are not really more than marks on the coating.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 18:01
Always use a lens hood and that will avoid most damage. The coating marks just might polish out. In extremis I use some lens fluid, very sparingly.

I would try the cleaning route first and then see if the images are affected. If not, then replacing a front element might be quite an expensive job. JPS could guide you best on that.
Best regards, John

Helpful

Algernon

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 19:07
You might get away with it. The best thing to do is make sure
it's as clean as possible. About the best lens cleaner you can
get is ROR available from many sources, but the distributor
seems the cheapest and they are an excellent professional firm
to deal with.

http://www.newprouk.co.uk/ROR-lens-cleaner.html

I regret not buying some double (back to back) K lens caps
from them when they had them in stock. They let you store
two lenses together. I suppose I could try glue

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 03/09/2014 - 19:09

Helpful

Steep

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 22:24
Thanks for the link Algernon, I've ordered some of that, even if it doesn't work in this case it's useful to have.

Steep

Link Posted 03/09/2014 - 22:26
johnriley wrote:
Always use a lens hood and that will avoid most damage.

Of course it was in my bag not on the lens. Actually it's the second time I've tipped my camera over on that beach, I should learn.

andy_bell

Link Posted 04/09/2014 - 10:33
I recently sent two of my lenses to JPS for repair, firstly I got them to quote for the repair, then sent the quotes to my insurer, (Aviva) who by the way were absolutely brilliant!!
All sorted by JPS the only thing was the length of time it took to get the spares and repair them, otherwise the resulting lenses are excellent!

If you're worried about it get it sorted...

Regards

Andy
A few bits & Bobs

Helpful

Steep

Link Posted 05/09/2014 - 10:59
The NewPro cleaner arrived very quickly but didn't make any improvement, highlighted the problem bits more though!

Got a completely unhelpful generic reply from JPS saying send it in and we'll check but it will cost you 24 if you refuse the repair. A nice reply from Alan Marlow, he's on holiday but will get me a price as soon as he gets back. I think I know who'll be getting the work based on that.

alfpics

Link Posted 05/09/2014 - 11:46
I have used Asahi Photo - don't know whether they can get lens elements. On the repair my lens needed, they cost less than JPS even after the PU member discount! link. Again - took time getting spare part from Pentax in Germany I think
Andy
Last Edited by alfpics on 05/09/2014 - 11:47

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/09/2014 - 12:07
Last time I contacted Asahi about a lens repair they told me they don't do DA* lenses.
. My Flickr

Helpful

smudge

Link Posted 05/09/2014 - 18:25
Asahi accepted my DA*16-50 for repair, though based on my experience so far I rather wish they hadn't. It needed a new SDM motor. I finally collected it today, after a seven month wait, only to find that it is no better than it was before - it still focuses slowly and quite often will not lock focus at all. I will have to take it back for him to have another look at it when he returns from holiday. So it's back to the trusty Sigma 17-70 for the time being.
Regards, Philip

cabstar

Link Posted 05/09/2014 - 18:35
Ouch I feel your pain I dropped my sigma 100-300mm f4 and chipped the front element and smashed the second element grrrr.

Alan Marlowe I can recommend and asahi photo although they can be a bit bit and miss on the parts.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/09/2014 - 19:08
cabstar wrote:
Ouch I feel your pain I dropped my sigma 100-300mm f4 and chipped the front element and smashed the second element grrrr.

Nasty.

Don't think Sigma can supply parts for the 100-300mm f4 now
. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.