Pentax KM/KX - Bulb Mode Practicalities...

MostlyHarmless

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 16:35
After some encouraging results (link) on holiday with next to no gear I'm thinking of starting to do some astrophotography again - I have most of what I'd need but, of course, the dark frame subtraction issue on the K20d is going to be a bit of a pain, though it'll do for starters.

Now, my wife would quite like a KM (though she doesn't really know that yet) which might nicely solve the problem - if there are workable ways of using Bulb mode. I know you can't use a wired remote - and the Pentax IR remote's I've seen would need you to actually hold the button down for the duration of the exposure (which will be minutes in length). So... does anybody know if there any remotes available that are 'lockable'? (for want of a better term). As far as I can see the same issues apply to the KX.

A used K10d (or K100d) would be alternatives, but I can see them only getting used for astrophotography - which seems a bit of a waste given our usual weather

Thanks in advance,
Neal

Mongoose

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 17:06
back up a minute, the K-M can't use a wired remote????
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

hefty1

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 17:15
Nope, nor can the K-x as it's in the same body. IR only.

Never tried Bulb with an IR remote so can't help the OP here.
Joining the Q

Mongoose

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 17:16
I tried it once with my MZ-7, didn't work well at all
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

bugman1248

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 21:08
Hi there, I bought an aftermarket IR remote to use on my k-m(e-bay)and yes, you have to hold button down, but did you not have to hold down the plunger on the cable release Have tried moving around whilst using remote, you have to be in line of sight of the sensor which is in the hand grip; but you can get a fair distance away
Pentax K5,Sigma 10-20 f3.5,Sigma 17-70 f2.8/4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8

MostlyHarmless

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 22:09
Thanks for all the replies - I think I'll just live with the K20 for now. For one thing, I'm not sure at the moment if I'm likely to use my camera lenses much, or mainly the telescope. If it turn's out just to be the telescope I may be better off getting an old and cheap Canon which, as usual, is what everybody else uses.

Some of the cable releases I had did need to be held down, but most had locking screws or collars.

Since I'm going to have to be doing about 20 (ish) exposures of several minutes each - and then a load of dark frames, and flat frames, and maybe dark flat frames, and offset frames - holding buttons down is going to drive me bonkers

Thanks again,
Neal

hefty1

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 22:55
You could always get something like this: link

Then just add an old-style cable release with a locking function. Not exactly a pretty solution but no-one will see in the dark anyway
Joining the Q
Last Edited by hefty1 on 22/09/2009 - 22:56

MostlyHarmless

Link Posted 23/09/2009 - 08:18
hefty1 wrote:
You could always get something like this: link

Then just add an old-style cable release with a locking function. Not exactly a pretty solution but no-one will see in the dark anyway

! I'd completely forgotten about those.
Neal

Lars

Link Posted 28/09/2009 - 15:32
Hi,

I would just make a note on aftermarket IR remotes, I purchased one and the switching seems to be of the momentary type on mine. Even if you hold the button down in bulb mode it won't hold the shutter open.

If you want to just test using a IR remote, try one of the TV,VCR or DVD ones you have around the house. I found a universal remote that worked my K200d in bulb mode using the VCR channel up key. (and yes, I sat there pushing all they buttons until I found it)

MostlyHarmless

Link Posted 30/09/2009 - 00:21
Lars wrote:
Hi,

If you want to just test using a IR remote, try one of the TV,VCR or DVD ones you have around the house. I found a universal remote that worked my K200d in bulb mode using the VCR channel up key. (and yes, I sat there pushing all they buttons until I found it)

Just had to try that - no luck though!

Neal
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.