Pentax K-x in 2023
Posted 01/02/2023 - 17:09
Link
Cracking post, informative along with great images. Thanks.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
Posted 01/02/2023 - 17:35
Link
Yes, interesting text and images. Lovely light in the fourth image.
Philip
Philip
Posted 17/01/2024 - 15:36
Link
Posted 18/01/2024 - 20:38
Link
I bought a K-x for peanuts a few years ago and enjoyed using it after my K5 had a funny turn in Vietnam and died on me for several months. It later fixed itself (I kid you not). Mine is mint apart from what looks like the end of a small metal clip that appears right at the top of the viewfinder. Weird as it never used to be there. The one thing I like about it is just how light it is.
K3iii, K3ii, K-5, K-x, DA150-450mm, DA16-85WR, DA16-45, DA18-55WR, DA18-135WR, DA35 F2.4, M100mm F4 Macro, DA55-300mm, FA50mm 1.4, AF360 Flash, AF540 Flash
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.







2435 posts
15 years
Madrid / Edinburgh
As someone who no longer uses Pentax as his main camera system but still loves the brand, I didn't expect to be buying any more DSLRs but when a K-x with Sigma MF 24/2.8 popped up on my radar for €40 plus delivery, I couldn't resist.
I remember when the K-x came out it was revered as the high-ISO king of APS-C though the lack of a legit AF fine-tuning method was a damper, as were the continued use of AA batteries and the lack of AF indication in the viewfinder. Back in the day, the brother of a friend had this on his christmas wish list posted on his parents' fridge with a note saying it has to be a fantastic camera.
The camera arrived in good physical shape except for considerable scratching on the rear element of the viewfinder - maybe someone cleaned it with steel wool or something. Firmware was the original and there was a clear back-focus problem so I updated the firmware and used debug mode to fine-tune the AF, which now seems fine. It had 17,500 on the shutter - I don't know how they got that far without fixing the back-focus. Maybe they always used the kit lens at f/8 and it wasn't too noticeable.
I've had a little time to play with it now and get a few first impressions:
- It's nice and small and feels solid in the hand - much better than equivalent models from CaNikon.
- Rechargeable AAs seem to have the battery indicator in reverse - when I first turn it on the camera indicates they're almost empty, a little later it says they're half full and later still it's all green!
- The viewfinder is tiny and tunnel-like, I can't imagine being at all successful with manual focus on it, and the scratches don't help.
- The screen is really horrible: low resolution and low dynamic range. Usually I develop from RAW in-camera and go from there but for the K-x I've been using Darktable on the PC so that I don't have to work with that screen.
- Maybe it's just my one, or maybe the exposure sensor is dirty or something, but the camera under-exposes by about 1.5 stops. Not a huge problem.
- From what I've seen so far it doesn't seem to have the same problems as the K200D with regards to sharpness from the in-camera jpegs. On the K200D the jpegs were really soft when compared to the same RAW files processed with default settings in the Pentax software on a PC. So I'm glad to see that was fixed.
So would I recommend a K-x in 2023? I would if you can get one for €40
Other than that, though the images may be fine, it gives a user experience which is very out-of-date and leaves much to be desired, so you'd need to be willing to work with that. If you are though, it's nice to have a compact yet solid little DSLR body to play with. I'm tempted to sell it on but I like the idea of having such a cheap yet capable DSLR to hand in the event I want something "expendable" over my more expensive gear.
Here are a few sample images with the DA 35mm Limited:
IMGP9607 by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
IMGP9624 by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
IMGP9623 by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
And from the DA 15mm Limited:
IMGP9648_01 by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
IMGP9651 by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses