Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax K 30

Hardgravity
Posted 17/05/2012 - 16:36 Link
Now it's getting interesting.

I searchedebay for pentax k30 and this came up,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-R-lens-Pentax-PK-adapter-K20D-K30D-K200D-K300D-/...

Nothing special, except it refers to K300!! in the title.

Do theChinese know something we dont?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Pentaxophile
Posted 17/05/2012 - 17:10 Link
Lol I think they probably just 'guessed' that there was a K300D, but it would be a logical model name for an upcoming entry level camera. Funny how they forgot about the K-x, K-7, K-5 and K-r....
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
JAK
Posted 17/05/2012 - 17:20 Link
There were recent comments that former Pentax engineers had been rehired. Was it to resurrect the K3D project of 2009?

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2009/02/wild-rumor-pentax-k3d-with-a-22mp-square...

Presumably not with a Samsung sensor but based upon that idea?

John
John K
Edited by JAK: 17/05/2012 - 17:21
Blythman
Posted 17/05/2012 - 17:42 Link
JAK wrote:
There were recent comments that former Pentax engineers had been rehired. Was it to resurrect the K3D project of 2009?

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2009/02/wild-rumor-pentax-k3d-with-a-22mp-square...

Presumably not with a Samsung sensor but based upon that idea?

John

That would do it for me. Mentioned before a square sensor would be fabulous. Something to save up for
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Don
Posted 17/05/2012 - 17:57 Link
aps-c squared would be great.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
johnriley
Posted 17/05/2012 - 18:00 Link
But what if it was square measuring the short length? A miniature sensor in a DSLR....
Best regards, John
Hardgravity
Posted 17/05/2012 - 19:23 Link
Now yourtrying to wind everybody up John.

I thought it was only me on this thread...
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
JAK
Posted 17/05/2012 - 19:36 Link
The talk was of a 1.3 x crop factor so it's getting nearer the 135 format.

Quote:
+ square image format (1.3X of 35mmFF)
+ 22mp sensor when used in square format (23.5x23.5mm) DFX format

It would be close to being an APS-H sensor as found on the Canon EOS 1D (are we allowed to mention that )

johnriley wrote:
But what if it was square measuring the short length? A miniature sensor in a DSLR....

Could work for a mini DSLR but bigger than the Q.

The sensor would be 15.8 x 15.8 mm which would put it in Sigma Foveon / Four-thirds territory which would (I guess) allow a thinner camera body. Effectively a Four-thirds size body that might take K-mount lenses unless my maths has gone awry!

John
John K
Edited by JAK: 17/05/2012 - 19:37
Pentaxophile
Posted 17/05/2012 - 19:54 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
Now yourtrying to wind everybody up John.

I thought it was only me on this thread...

You were winding me up? I'm sooooo gullible
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Algernon
Posted 18/05/2012 - 08:36 Link
JAK wrote:

Quote:

It would be close to being an APS-H sensor as found on the Canon EOS 1D (are we allowed to mention that )

johnriley wrote:

The sensor would be 15.8 x 15.8 mm which would put it in Sigma Foveon / Four-thirds territory which would (I guess) allow a thinner camera body. Effectively a Four-thirds size body that might take K-mount lenses unless my maths has gone awry!

John

What has all this nonsense got to do with the K30
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
JohnX
Posted 18/05/2012 - 08:54 Link
Algernon wrote:
JAK wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

John

What has all this nonsense got to do with the K30

Agreed. JAK's link if followed back to source has comments dated Feb 2009 it appears; although someone mentions 'K30' I think it's in the context of a direct successor to the K20D.
Edited by JohnX: 18/05/2012 - 08:55
Hardgravity
Posted 18/05/2012 - 09:06 Link
I think that, although off topic, the link is trying to point out that Pentax do have other options for new models where sensors are concerned.

Lets wait and see what the K30 turns out like.
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
Algernon
Posted 18/05/2012 - 09:25 Link
The K30 is an actual NEW camera from Pentax.

This thread is about the new K30 that Pentax have just
released and (the thread)will grow quite large and no
doubt new buyers will be trying to read the K30 relevant
stuff between the made up nonsense (some from 3 years ago)
also posted. They have my sympathy

The US Forum already have two K30 threads at 23 and 36 pages
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
johnriley
Posted 18/05/2012 - 10:15 Link
Well let's not digress even further by discussing the digression....

The point I was making was that although the idea of a square sensor has been mooted for a long time, and the idea of a square 24x24mm film format long before that, it's a wasteful format in that nobody using squares routinely. Widescreen is the current pattern for most of us, so APS-C seems a good shape anyway.

So it's unlikely that any square format camera would choose the long side to make the square, much more likely to go for the smaller dimension which would enable the use of existing body size and profile. There's no advantage to the square - it would put some users off and we can crop to square from APS-C if we want to.

Much more likley that this K30 is a K-r upgrade, followed by a K-5 upgrade very soon. Maybe an entry level, call it a K300, after that. Then we have three levels of body, the mirrorless K-01 and the miniature Q. Plus of course the professional medium format 645D. Not a bad lineup at all. Add the new lenses and quite a lot would have been achieved in a fairly short time.

Of course, all we have so far is the sneak preview of the K30, and that's looking good in itself. In seven days or so it seems we may know who got the closest to being accurate in their assessment.
Best regards, John
Blythman
Posted 18/05/2012 - 10:22 Link
Disagree John. Using the long side dimension for a square sensor would give us everything we have now in terms of image quality in landscape mode. It would improve quality for portrait mode. It would increase the height of the camera but do away with the need for a grip. Many now say they need the grip as the camera is too small
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.