Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax K-1 user?

This topic has a poll - login to enter
michaelblue
Posted 21/03/2018 - 17:01 Link
Daronl wrote:
I can’t see a major step change so I won’t upgrade; the K1 is a great camera as is.

I would only look at a new body if it had true High Performance AF

I think that an action based camera body with features dedicated to better dynamic image capture, perhaps only retaining dynamic pixel shift and true Hi-performance AF would be great for us sport and wild life shooters.

As I said above I love the K1 so I would not want to change that much, but another type of camera added to the current range, would really improve the product offer, in line with the other major brands.

In a new model I would be happy to forego some features for improvements in others GPS is undoubtedly a “nice to have” and based on the very small numbers of astro images we see posted on PU that might also be a “nice to have”.

Low light performance is pretty good at present so that is something that maybe could be developed futher over a longer time line (slightly lower the priority).

(I sound like I am describing the latest Sony a7R III Mirrorless FF - but I am not )

I am sure it might not be as simple chopping and changing features but a simplified Pentax model with strong action based features might be a more rapid evolution than trying to fit everything in.

So, we can’t have it all as the price becomes too punitive but I would like to see a more action based camera being developed to run alongside (not instead of) the current models which are all great cameras.

Actually FF or APS would not be too important to me personally but I am sure others have different view.

Price wise, “glass wise” and from a portability point of view APS has some advantages for action photography ( eg Nikon D500 I would be very happy with a Pentax version of that )

Maybe It would be interesting for Users and Pentax if we could poll what features we would like as users - just out of interest ?

Now THAT would be nice!
When I was at the Ricoh stand at the photography show I told them that Pentax autofocus tracking was the worst out there and he agreed and said he'd heard it many times that day and would be feeding it back to Pentax.........let's hope
Regards,
Michael
Mike-P
Posted 21/03/2018 - 17:18 Link
I should think they would already know by now
Edited by Mike-P: 21/03/2018 - 17:18
RobL
Posted 21/03/2018 - 17:19 Link
Compared to other bodies the Pentax K-1 has relatively few focus sensors, all of which are limited to the reduced APS-C field, so I am wondering whether the flexibility to use both formats is the reason why there aren't more. If the sensors covered a wider field then switching to crop modes would necessitate disabling the outer ones but that should be simple to accommodate.
pschlute
Posted 21/03/2018 - 17:43 Link
You make a good point Rob, but I use the centre 9 focus points mainly as they help me narrow down what i want to focus on. Sometimes I use centre focus point only. I regard the default 33 AF points as akin to a blunderbuss approach to focus.

Maybe I am old school but tend to use focus and recompose a lot. Yes I have seen all the articles about how this means I am misfocussing because I am changing the camera to subject distance, but it works for me.

Occasionally and usually on a tripod will I use the SEL focus point menu to focus on a subject not in the centre of the frame. I cannot see me changing my habits if Pentax introduce 100 focus points. I usually just want to focus on one thing !
darkskies
Posted 21/03/2018 - 18:05 Link
Where's the option to keep my K-1 and buy a K-II, or K-1 Mk II, or whatever its called?
This space deliberately left blank.
Mike-P
Posted 21/03/2018 - 18:19 Link
darkskies wrote:
Where's the option to keep my K-1 and buy a K-II, or K-1 Mk II, or whatever its called?

Third one as you will be keeping your K-1
pschlute
Posted 21/03/2018 - 18:21 Link
darkskies wrote:

They didn't put this much thought into the brexit referendum
McBrian
Posted 21/03/2018 - 21:23 Link
Wait and see for me, hand held PS sounds interesting though.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
darkskies
Posted 21/03/2018 - 21:26 Link
pschlute wrote:
darkskies wrote:

They didn't put this much thought into the brexit referendum

That goes without saying!
darkskies
Posted 21/03/2018 - 21:27 Link
Mike-P wrote:
darkskies wrote:

Third one as you will be keeping your K-1

Yeah, I will.
robbiec
Posted 21/03/2018 - 22:59 Link
Upgrade here. I'll probably get the new 50 first though.

I'm interested as to how Pentax now regard the K-1 line as a series. Perhaps they are thinking of a couple of more upgrades down the line. Anyone know how many K-1s are out there? Are there I dunno, 100,000 K-1 users worldwide that would hand over 500 to 600 Pounds, Euros, Dollars every year for incremental upgrades? The chassis being the base and everything else service upgradeable.
My Gallery
[url=http://pentaxphotogallery.com/Robbie Corrigan]ppg[/url]
pschlute
Posted 21/03/2018 - 23:50 Link
robbiec wrote:
Upgrade here. I'll probably get the new 50 first though.

I'm interested as to how Pentax now regard the K-1 line as a series. Perhaps they are thinking of a couple of more upgrades down the line. Anyone know how many K-1s are out there? Are there I dunno, 100,000 K-1 users worldwide that would hand over 500 to 600 Pounds, Euros, Dollars every year for incremental upgrades? The chassis being the base and everything else service upgradeable.

I really cannot see this as being a viable approach that consumers would go for. My K1 is just over a year old. If I were to take the upgrade to the K1II now, and in two years time Pentax offered another upgrade to K1III, my thinking would be to buy the new camera outright rather than keep a 3 year old "chassis" and upgrade it.

There is the shutter life and the life of many other things on the camera to consider too. I guess it may depend on what warranty Pentax would offer with the upgrade.
ronniemac
Posted 22/03/2018 - 11:50 Link
Rather than upgrade or p/x the K-1, I would prefer to put the money towards a K-3ii replacement which will likely have the K-1ii features built in plus some additional benefits over the K-3ii.

Enjoying what I have so not rushing to upgrade anyway.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.