Pentax K-1 surprises.

Tyr

Link Posted 06/10/2018 - 21:00
Was lucky enough to be on a workshop in SRS Watford. During the breaks I had a chance to play with the demo Pentax K-1. I was really impressed by the whole package.

However, what really surprised me was the camera's focus motor. All other Pentax cameras I've tried sound like a cordless drill. The K-1 is completely unobtrusive. It is not silent but it is, in my opinion, amazingly quiet! Why isn't more noise about this little gem of a feature?

It feels better in my hand than any other Pentax, even the K10D. The grip fits my hand just right. The controls are easy to reach and have not deviated much from my K-5. I can't say the same for the K-70 and K-P.

It is a bit bigger and heavier than my K-5 but not by as much as I thought.

Problem is, it made me want one more than I did before.

I'm not sold on the massive FF lenses but can still use many APS-C lenses with most the frame. Simultaneously shoot APS-C portrait and landscape as well as making composition adjustments easily on a crop lens as you can see what is just outside the frame.

It would suit my needs rather well.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

HarisF1

Link Posted 06/10/2018 - 21:18
Good to hear of your good experience. I want to suggest that the focusing noise was due to an SDM lens being used. It's just as loud as ever with screwdrive lenses :p
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 06/10/2018 - 21:26

Tyr

Link Posted 06/10/2018 - 21:52
I tried my DA15 which was a lot quieter and a DA40. Maybe if I'd tried my DFA100 WR it would have been a different story.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

Algernon

Link Posted 07/10/2018 - 08:01
HarisF1 wrote:
Good to hear of your good experience. I want to suggest that the focusing noise was due to an SDM lens being used. It's just as loud as ever with screwdrive lenses :p

It's a lot better with the Pentax 24-90mm. Unusable on a K-5, but nice on the K-1.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

carmagw

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 14:12
I've noticed the difference in screwdrive sound as well, using the 50-135 (converted to screwdrive). Far quieter on the K1 than my K5iis.

Regards

George

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 20:36
Do what I did and buy the FA* 28-70 and FA*80-200 lenses, and maybe an FA-J 18-35 or Sigma EX 15-30 or 17-35 to get the coverage but not the weight training.

Even though I also have a D810 (same sensor) different camera and different purpose - I enjoy photography more with the K-1, the Nikon lacks Mojo.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Kim C

Link Posted 09/10/2018 - 11:40
ilovesaabs wrote:
Do what I did and buy the FA* 28-70 and FA*80-200 lenses, and maybe an FA-J 18-35 or Sigma EX 15-30 or 17-35 to get the coverage but not the weight training.

Even though I also have a D810 (same sensor) different camera and different purpose - I enjoy photography more with the K-1, the Nikon lacks Mojo.

If you need the coverage but not the weight, the 20-35 FA is much, much better than the 18-35 FAJ.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.