PENTAX Image sensor cleaning kit O-ICK1

beachboy2

Link Posted 28/02/2013 - 12:53
It finally happened that I got a hard to move spot on my K5 sensor. After researching the various methods came across the Pentax accessory. Promaster produce something similar and bought the Promaster due to easy availabilty. Easy to use. Successfully cleaned spot off sensor, and would recommend this type of cleaning device.

PS a search showed this mentioned in posts some years ago!

K5, K20D, Bigma, Sigma EX 105, Sigma EX 10-20, Sigma EX 28-70 F2.8, Sigma Ex 1.4TC,
Pentax 135 F3.5, Pentax 30mm F2.8 , Pentax 50mm F1.7, Pentax 55mm F1.8,
Super Taks: 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 200mm F4
Vivitar TX 200mm F3.5,Vivitar (Komine)135mm f2.8, Vivitar 2X TC, Vivitar T4 400mm F6.3
Tamron SP 35-80,80-210 F3.8, Helios 44M, Mir 1B 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 9 85mm F2, Chinon 28mm F2.8, 3M-5A 500mm F8 etc etc

PeteL

Link Posted 28/02/2013 - 16:36
I have used the Pentax kit for many years and have found it to be superb (If a little expensive!} I am on my second kit which i bought on E-Bay from Singapore at half the UK price. I second your recommendation!

mera

Link Posted 28/02/2013 - 23:02
Yes, I eventually got some dust on my K5 that was noticeable. An extreme contrast test showed the sensor was quite dirty. Afer using the Pentax O-ICK1 kit, the sensor is now spotless. I find it is the best methjod of cleaning my sensor I have used (better than blower or brush).

Its very expensive for what it is, but as this is the first time in the year I have had to clean the K5 sensor I suspect the kit will last a long time and thus the cost is insignificant in the long run. The newer cameras just don't accumulate dirt at the same rate my old DS did.

davidstorm

Link Posted 28/02/2013 - 23:26
I'm not really so sure why a special kit is required? It's easy to make a sensor cleaning tool with a chip fork or lollipop stick, cut off so that there is an exactly square end and then wrapped with a Pec Pad or similar so several layers cover the end. Very lightly dampen the pad (it musn't be wet, only very slightly damp) with isopropyl alcohol and wipe carefully across the sensor surface (make sure there's nothing on there that can scratch before doing this).

I've done this several times on my K-x and once on my K-5 with very successful results and it cost me about 1p per clean.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

beachboy2

Link Posted 01/03/2013 - 12:23
davidstorm wrote:
I'm not really so sure why a special kit is required? It's easy to make a sensor cleaning tool with a chip fork or lollipop stick, cut off so that there is an exactly square end and then wrapped with a Pec Pad or similar so several layers cover the end. Very lightly dampen the pad (it musn't be wet, only very slightly damp) with isopropyl alcohol and wipe carefully across the sensor surface (make sure there's nothing on there that can scratch before doing this).

I've done this several times on my K-x and once on my K-5 with very successful results and it cost me about 1p per clean.

Regards
David

It's not a wet method. It's a sticky gunk method. Similar to what a technician told me one time about cleaning spots off LCD screens with sticky tape. I wasn't game to try sticky tape (sellotape) on my sensor Hence the use of (presumably) high quality gunk.
cheers
bb2

K5, K20D, Bigma, Sigma EX 105, Sigma EX 10-20, Sigma EX 28-70 F2.8, Sigma Ex 1.4TC,
Pentax 135 F3.5, Pentax 30mm F2.8 , Pentax 50mm F1.7, Pentax 55mm F1.8,
Super Taks: 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 200mm F4
Vivitar TX 200mm F3.5,Vivitar (Komine)135mm f2.8, Vivitar 2X TC, Vivitar T4 400mm F6.3
Tamron SP 35-80,80-210 F3.8, Helios 44M, Mir 1B 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 9 85mm F2, Chinon 28mm F2.8, 3M-5A 500mm F8 etc etc

Algernon

Link Posted 01/03/2013 - 13:51
I wouldn't use it on a sensor, but for and LCD screens or
glass 'Magic Tape' has a much better adhesive that's
unlikely to come off compared with Sellotape. It's
not quite 100% certain that it won't leave a residue
which is why I wouldn't use it on a sensor.

It's also better if you want to leave it on permanently.
It doesn't become gooey like Sellotape. I use it to hold
a diffuser on my flashgun.

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

womble

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 10:00
Anyone who markets a sensor cleaning product called O-ICK1 deserves at least a grin. I bought mine in B&H in New York. The sales guy confidently told me that Pentax didn't make a sensor cleaning kit. I'm pleased to say I managed to inform him otherwise.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

michaelblue

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 12:51
davidstorm wrote:

Regards
David

This may seem a daft question but......
Where do I obtain 'isopropyl' David?....and what is a 'pec pad'?
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 13:16
Ispropyl Alcohol (isopropanol)is an alcohol which was also used for cleaning the record cartridge stylus.

I would be wary of using it on a sensor, just in case the alcohol reacts with the coatings on the sensor. I would talk to the technical department at Pentax or at JPS first, just to make absolutely sure.

It may be, or may not be, that some other alcohol is better for the purpose.
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 13:26
Isopropyl alcohol is safe to use on sensors and lenses according to many sources and I have used it several times on my sensors with absolutely nil problems. When cleaning with this, it's important that the pec pad is barely damp, not wet, otherwise streaks and spots can be left (a bit like when you wash the car and the spots dry if you don't leather it).

Isopropyl alcohol is a very pure solution that dries quickly and is effective at removing grease and dirt, without damaging plastic, glass or lens coatings. If you google it you'll find a lot of sources for buying it; you'll find it's very cheap. PecPads are non-abrasive pads specifically designed for cleaning sensitive optical items; they can be bought from Amazon. See link below to a video on sensor cleaning; this chap is using Eclipse cleaning solution rather than isopropyl alcohol, but the principle is the same.

link

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 03/03/2013 - 13:27

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 13:58
Are there not two types of Eclipse fluid, one of which should not be used on Pentax?
Best regards, John

darkskies

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 16:48
johnriley wrote:
Are there not two types of Eclipse fluid, one of which should not be used on Pentax?

I'd be interested to know if there is as I've got a bottle in the cupboard that I've not used yet.
This space deliberately left blank.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 19:27
A bit of research indicates that Eclipse E2 fluid should be used with Tin Oxide coated sensors. Now all we need to know is if Pentax use TI sensors.

Also, Wex and BH both suggest using sensor swabs rather than Pec Pads.

There are also warnings about picking up muck from around the sensor if using Arctic Butterfly.
Best regards, John

darkskies

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 19:39
Thanks for that so far, John. I haven't got the E2 fluid, just ordinary, whatever that is. I tried their website, www.photosol.com but can't connect to it...if it still exists!
This space deliberately left blank.
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 03/03/2013 - 20:46

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 20:49
I've corrected your link, which now works. Unfortunately it doesn't mention E2 fluid, but it does say the following:
Quote:
PEC*PADs are not recommended for cleaning the CCD. PEC*PADs are not made from the same materials that are used in SENSOR SWABS. SENSOR SWABS are manufactured and sealed in a clean and sterile environment; therefore, the swabs are the ultimate in purity. Photographic Solutions does not approve the use of PEC*PADs on sensors; therefore, we will not warranty the CCD or any camera part from any damage caused by using non approved products.

The research continues.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.