PENTAX Image sensor cleaning kit O-ICK1

davidstorm

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 20:57
I don't think there is much of a risk in using Pec Pads on a sensor. They are non-abrasive and will not damage it. There is a risk using anything that applies an amount of pressure to the sensor if there is dust on there that could scratch it. The companies that make these types of cleaning products have to be careful not to put approvals on certain products as it could backfire on them (it's easy for someone to make a mistake whilst cleaning the sensor and then blame it on the cleaning products).

Like most things in life, cleaning your sensor requires mostly common sense; there is no mystery or dark art about it.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 03/03/2013 - 20:58

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 21:04
Nonetheless David, it's surely prudent to use the right products for such a critical part? Is there a point in ignoring the advice of the manufacturer and not using the product they make for the job?

But the bit I was really concerned about was the solution stripping the sensor coatings. In the case of Nikon sensors we would need to use Eclipse E2 fluid. Does this also apply to Pentax sensors? Do we know?
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 21:08
[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]Is there a point in ignoring the advice of the manufacturer and not using the product they make for the job?[quote]

No, not per se John, but then again the manufacturer will always recommend their own kit, or possibly kit they have a financial interest in. I'm not suggesting this falls into that category, but if you draw parallels with cars (another highly complicated bit of kit that is expensive to repair), the manufacturers will always insist you should use 'genuine parts' that are ridiculously expensive. Fact is, you can buy parts that are often made in the same factory, to the same standards, for a fraction of the cost!

All I'm saying is that from experience the items I use to clean my sensor do the job just fine and they cost next to nothing.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 21:15
Quote:
I'm not suggesting this falls into that category

Definitely not in this case - Pec Pads and Sensor Swabs are from the same manufacturer. Pec Pads are for lenses, Sensor Swabs for sensors, and they do tell us why.

What you say about alternative products can be true, but of course also often isn't and we, the consumer, have no way to know the difference apart from the repuitation of the source.
Best regards, John

CMW

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 21:35
johnriley wrote:
Are there not two types of Eclipse fluid, one of which should not be used on Pentax?

I looked into this last year when I first bought Eclipse fluid since I had no idea whether Pentax sensors had a tin-oxide coating or not (still don't). I found out eventually that E2 wasn't made any longer because it had become clear (in further testing, presumably) that the original liquid was OK after all for tin-oxide sensors.

I don't have the source to hand (it may well have been the manufactuer of Eclipse); it convinced me at the time. And I still have a functioning sensor ...
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 21:38
Thanks CMW!
Best regards, John

darkskies

Link Posted 03/03/2013 - 21:45
The link still didn't work for me, John, even after you had corrected it.

But, it seems, no matter. All's well that ends well.

Thanks John and CMW!!
This space deliberately left blank.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.