Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax FF Dead, Maybe

aliengrove
Posted 20/10/2013 - 12:01 Link
They certainly are turning a lot of heads, including mine. I'm sorely tempted by the A7r. Lenses are going to be a major outlay, though, and there's only 3 available so far.

I'll hang in with Pentax/Ricoh for a bit longer, though, to see if they come up with anything similar. As the Doc says, they are well placed to compete in this sector of the market.
Pentaxophile
Posted 20/10/2013 - 14:52 Link
The A7 could be a great camera for Pentax Users who love their MF primes. Using the full imaging circle and having focus peaking in the EVF would make it a better partner for these lenses than any Pentax camera. And of course you won't be restricted by the K mount ;P
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
DrOrloff
Posted 20/10/2013 - 16:51 Link
I have no doubt that we will get reports soon enough of how well Pentax primes, not just the old ones, function on the Sony. That will be very interesting.
JonSchick
Posted 20/10/2013 - 17:12 Link
Personally, I think Ricoh/Pentax would be much better exploring this particular FF avenue rather than coming up with a traditional FF dSLR. I simply don't see how they will compete effectively with Canikon in the latter (boat has been missed and is on the horizon) but I fancy their chances of nipping at Sony's heels and being able to grab some market if they do it reasonably quickly. A very heavily reworked K-02 perhaps.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
BrianL
Posted 20/10/2013 - 17:57 Link
Just as a suggestion, how about a FF mirrorless body with the usual Pentax ergonomics but with inter-changeable lens mounts a la Ricoh GXR. Anyone with whatever lens set can then buy into Pentax!
Brian
Smeggypants
Posted 20/10/2013 - 22:31 Link
There's a rumour Fuji are bringing about a FF mirrorless next year
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
richandfleur
Posted 21/10/2013 - 01:13 Link
Reading into the Sony A7 above, it makes for some interesting ideas/discussions:

They've got a FF sensor at 24mp, which is on a par with the new K3 resolution.

And you've obviously got to have FF capable lenses to mate with this larger sensor. Old school glass would obviously have this covered, coming from that era anyway, but newer options may not.

The size thing doesn't really bother me personally. All jokes aside on that I don't mind taking something the size of a K100d/K30 etc when I want to take 'real photos', because I don't think Pentax cameras are too big in the first place. They also offer something to actually hold onto, where as mirrorless options basically mean you end up holding the lens itself (especially when you have to use a mount adaptor).

One big thing that is standing out though, is that there is a place for a mirrorless full frame WITH inbuilt stabilisation. I've noticed quite a few Pentax users commenting on the Sony articles mentioning that they'd miss that. I'm still hoping the K3 has video sorted as that's still looking pretty darn good to me
Don
Posted 21/10/2013 - 01:59 Link
link

where nikon goes, pentax eventually follows with an answer....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Smeggypants
Posted 21/10/2013 - 03:27 Link
richandfleur wrote:
Reading into the Sony A7 above, it makes for some interesting ideas/discussions:

They've got a FF sensor at 24mp, which is on a par with the new K3 resolution.

And you've obviously got to have FF capable lenses to mate with this larger sensor. Old school glass would obviously have this covered, coming from that era anyway, but newer options may not.

The size thing doesn't really bother me personally. All jokes aside on that I don't mind taking something the size of a K100d/K30 etc when I want to take 'real photos', because I don't think Pentax cameras are too big in the first place. They also offer something to actually hold onto, where as mirrorless options basically mean you end up holding the lens itself (especially when you have to use a mount adaptor).

I'd normally agree. If I'm goign out on a dedicated shoot then I'm loaded up with 2 K-5's and a couple of bum bags foull of lenses.

But increasingly I've leaning towards shooting actual non photographic events in my life, but aiming to do it in a more than just a snapshot type of way. For this size does matter.

Quote:

One big thing that is standing out though, is that there is a place for a mirrorless full frame WITH inbuilt stabilisation. I've noticed quite a few Pentax users commenting on the Sony articles mentioning that they'd miss that. I'm still hoping the K3 has video sorted as that's still looking pretty darn good to me

Indeed and the rumoured Fuji I mentioned above is rumoured to incorporate inbuilt stabilisation

FF mirrorless is clearly something for the near future from many manufacturers, but there's still room and need for FF DSLRs and Pentax need to get inthis sector as well, even if it's a Loss Leader.

I think the emergence of decent IQ in mobile phones is forcing the camera people to come up with compacts that stay one or steps ahead of phones.

Won't be long before there's Micro 4/34rds interhcangeable lens camera around the same size as the Pentax Q.

Oh wait .....

http://camerasize.com/compare/#190,491

I hope petnax are busy busy busy in the background
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Edited by Smeggypants: 21/10/2013 - 03:36
richandfleur
Posted 21/10/2013 - 03:38 Link
Quote:
"SmeggypantsBut increasingly I've leaning towards shooting actual non photographic events in my life, but aiming to do it in a more than just a snapshot type of way. For this size does matter.

I know where you are coming from, but I see a real compact as filling that need, not a mirrorless. Reason being that the mirrorless still have the full sized lens hanging on the front, and it's even bigger if you have an adaptor for it, ie it's not a native lens. Seriously, that ends up being not much smaller than with a DLSR in 'some' respects.

I'm thinking say the Canon M here, which yes is smaller than the equivalent 600D or so (same 'full' sized APS-C sensor) but still quite chunky once you put some decent glass on it. I see mirrorless as being quite a big future market as less people pay a premium for an optical viewfinder now live view and screens are so much better. BUT I don't see a lot of the reasons such as being smaller, as being that dramatic once you put a decent lens on it. So bigger sensor Pentax MX might fill the need better, with APS-C sensor and in body stabilisation...
Edited by richandfleur: 21/10/2013 - 03:39
DrOrloff
Posted 21/10/2013 - 12:53 Link
Don wrote:
link

I hope so. There's the camera that a lot of Pentaxians have been asking for. Very scrummy.
Horst
Posted 21/10/2013 - 14:09 Link
How come, the mirrorless cameras are suddenly so desirable.

I personally find, they are pretty useless on a bright sunny day. About as useless as the smart phones in this light.

The Digital viewfinder if it has one, like the X-5 is horrible to look through at any light.

I mean, if you are all so keen to get a small mirrorless, buy a compact with a big zooming range.

I could understand a 4/3 type with an optical viewfinder of the Leica style. At least it is clear and natural and can take small interchangeable lenses.

I believe however, there is nothing equivalent to looking trough the FF viewfinder of a SLR.

I bet you, I can get a sharp image 2 speeds slower with the SLR viewfinder, then having to hold the thing in front of me, trying to frame and at the same time take the picture.

Regards, Horst
Edited by Horst: 21/10/2013 - 14:11
Dodge69
Posted 21/10/2013 - 14:13 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
Don wrote:
link

I hope so. There's the camera that a lot of Pentaxians have been asking for. Very scrummy.

Indeed. MX version please Pentax.

I'm also very pleased about the sensible MP count too. A7r is cool but taking holiday or 'nights out' snaps at 36mp??? No thanks.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
johnriley
Posted 21/10/2013 - 15:26 Link
Agree with Horst, DSLR every time for lots of reasons.

The MX-1 makes a pretty fantastic multi-purpose compact, much under-rated by the Pentax community in general. I really like mine and it feels like a real, solid camera. All that brass!
Best regards, John
stevejcoe
Posted 21/10/2013 - 17:22 Link
I also agree with Horse and John, DSLR everytime. I find mirrored cameras difficult to use and a unpleasant experience. A Pentax future without an optical viewfinder, would for me, mean a change of systems.

Regards Steve

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.