Pentax FF Dead, Maybe


Pentaxophile

Link Posted 22/10/2013 - 09:09
Horst wrote:
The Digital viewfinder if it has one, like the X-5 is horrible to look through at any light.

I mean, if you are all so keen to get a small mirrorless, buy a compact with a big zooming range.

I believe however, there is nothing equivalent to looking trough the FF viewfinder of a SLR.

But for manual focus a good EVF can be superior for focusing, if not, I admit, as pleasant to use as an OVF (especially in low light when they can become grainy). Why?

- Focus peaking allows you to nail focus, unlike an OVF with a standard focus screen.

- Contrary to what Algi says, DOF actually reflects how it will appear in the picture, unlike an OVF with standard focus screen.

At least this is my experience using the NEX-6's EVF with K-mount lenses.

I would not want to use an EVF for the majority of my photography, however for playing around with fast MF primes, they make a lot of sense IMHO.

And I don't think it is fair to pick the X-5 as a typical example of a camera with an EVF. It is a lowly small-sensored bridge camera.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 22/10/2013 - 09:11

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 22/10/2013 - 09:50
Algernon wrote:
The big problem with the rear LCD and possibly an EVF is
that it uses a different aperture to what you are using
on the lens..... so DOF could be miles out.

No... no it doesn't. The EVF shows the actual DOF exactly as recorded. You must be thinking of OVFs, which struggle to give a preview of DOF at fast apertures.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Algernon

Link Posted 22/10/2013 - 10:32
I've never used an EVF (Pentax don't make one and it's really off
topic on this forum) but I'd be very surprised if the electronics
could cope with say and f/1.2 lens and a whitish subject without
stopping down the lens. Hopefully Pentax will never make one
and I'll never need to know.

Edit: Possibly the Sony EVF does not close the aperture,
which must restrict the range to that of the sensor.
Don't look at the Sun.

The K-5 LV stops down in 2 stop steps... see here ....
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2012/01/focus-adjust-k-5-and-pentax-af-lenses.html

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 22/10/2013 - 10:38

Algernon

Link Posted 22/10/2013 - 11:08
LV seems to be different on the K-30 link

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 22/10/2013 - 11:09

Mongoose

Link Posted 22/10/2013 - 12:45
johnriley wrote:
RAW files have never been totally 100% RAW as a certain amount of processing is needed to make sense of the Bayer grid info and merge it into a full colour image at every pixel site.

point of pedantry, that is actually handled by the raw converter, some converters give you a choice of algorithms for de-mosaicing, with some being better than others for high ISO or fine detail rendering.

You are correct that some processing is necessary though, the signal from the sensor itself is analogue (a voltage) and must be converted by the A/D converter.
you don't have to be mad to post here



but it does help

Mongoose

Link Posted 22/10/2013 - 12:47
Algernon wrote:
I

Edit: Possibly the Sony EVF does not close the aperture,
which must restrict the range to that of the sensor.
Don't look at the Sun.

--

shouldn't really look at the sun though an OVF either, you'll burn a rather more precious sensor if you're not careful!
you don't have to be mad to post here



but it does help

jules

Link Posted 24/10/2013 - 04:19
Just a rumor but why not stoke the fire!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52384176

Sounds like a disgruntled fanboy fantasy to me though...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 24/10/2013 - 04:23

Smeggypants

Link Posted 24/10/2013 - 07:00
Algernon wrote:
I've never used an EVF (Pentax don't make one and it's really off
topic on this forum) but I'd be very surprised if the electronics
could cope with say and f/1.2 lens and a whitish subject without
stopping down the lens. Hopefully Pentax will never make one
and I'll never need to know.

Edit: Possibly the Sony EVF does not close the aperture,
which must restrict the range to that of the sensor.
Don't look at the Sun.

The K-5 LV stops down in 2 stop steps... see here ....
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2012/01/focus-adjust-k-5-and-pentax-af-lenses.html

--

so what you mean is the EVF doesn't really use a different aperture but might need to stop down to avoid blowing the highlights on the sensor.

Pentax does have an EVF. It's called Live view and as youv'e noted on Rice High's blog it does indeed stop down to avopid blowing the sensor. :
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

EpicFail

Link Posted 24/10/2013 - 16:05
Smeggypants wrote:
Algernon wrote:
I've never used an EVF (Pentax don't make one and it's really off
topic on this forum) but I'd be very surprised if the electronics
could cope with say and f/1.2 lens and a whitish subject without
stopping down the lens. Hopefully Pentax will never make one
and I'll never need to know.

Edit: Possibly the Sony EVF does not close the aperture,
which must restrict the range to that of the sensor.
Don't look at the Sun.

The K-5 LV stops down in 2 stop steps... see here ....
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2012/01/focus-adjust-k-5-and-pentax-af-lenses.html

--

so what you mean is the EVF doesn't really use a different aperture but might need to stop down to avoid blowing the highlights on the sensor.

Pentax does have an EVF. It's called Live view and as youv'e noted on Rice High's blog it does indeed stop down to avopid blowing the sensor. :

Funny how often people forget this!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 24/10/2013 - 17:48
Quote:
Just say for example that a F1.4 Pentax prime is mounted onto the K-5, the stepping is from wide opened and then to f/2.8 and then to f5.6 and then to f/11, as brightness rises. This is different from other ILDC cameras and systems like the Sony NEX, which always stopped down to the exact set Av no matter how.

Interesting. I've never noticed this behaviour, but then in LV MF mode I tend to be using M or K glass (which are always wide open until the shutter press).
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.