Pentax FF - a poll

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

giofi

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 22:54
First: I do not mean to reopen a discussion on whether FF is better that APS-C format.

It seems to me that the largest number of forum members believe that there is no justification to go from APS-D to FF.

But I have a different question: if Pentax were to release a FF camera within the next 2 years at a competitive price level (say below 2000), would you buy it?

Would we ever be happy with second best just because it is good enough?
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Jyrkira

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 23:42
giofi wrote:
But I have a different question: if Pentax were to release a FF camera within the next 2 years at a competitive price level (say below 2000), would you buy it?

Even if Pentax releases FF camera now I will not buy it within next 2 years. I bought a K-5 few months ago and I decided not to buy another camera body within 3 years(Actually I promised that to my girlfriend).

Anyway the K-5 is an excellent camera and I am absolutely sure it is good enough for my needs for coming few years.
Last Edited by Jyrkira on 28/04/2011 - 23:43

womble

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 01:19
At present I'm not even willing to shell out the dosh to upgrade from my K20D to the K5 even though there are aspects of the K5 that appeal. If there was a "full frame" Pentax dSLR I might consider it but only if it was considerably less than 2000. I'd rather buy a second-hand K5 and spend the difference on more lenses...

I also note with amusement your not-quite-concealed bias...

Quote:
Would we ever be happy with second best just because it is good enough?



K.
Last Edited by womble on 29/04/2011 - 01:21

Don

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 01:25
giofi wrote:
First: I do not mean to reopen a discussion on whether FF is better that APS-C format.

It seems to me that the largest number of forum members believe that there is no justification to go from APS-D to FF.

But I have a different question: if Pentax were to release a FF camera within the next 2 years at a competitive price level (say below 2000), would you buy it?

Would we ever be happy with second best just because it is good enough?

I suspect in two years, the 645d would be selling at a reduced price and the 645d mk 11 will out... effectively blowing a 40-80 mb hole in your ff theory.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 29/04/2011 - 01:29

Don

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 01:56
interesting read:
link
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

thoughton

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 04:41
If price decreases, then maybe. But I'm not in any hurry at all, the K5 is brilliant. For me the only reason would be to get full use of older wide angle lenses and - presumably - further improvements to noise levels in low light.

womble wrote:
I also note with amusement your not-quite-concealed bias...

Quote:
Would we ever be happy with second best just because it is good enough?


How is that bias? You cannot deny that APS-C is second best when compared to full frame. Or can you?

Frogfish

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 06:02
Don wrote:
interesting read:
link

Thanks for posting that link Don - excellent read and very informative, especially re. production costs. Even though it seems he may have reached the wrong conclusion in terms of market performance.

The K5 has stimulated the Pentax APS-C market to such an extent that the talk of FF has dramatically receded (along with the introduction of the 645D) compared to the level pre-Photokina 2010. It also shows that Pentax engineers were not working on FF but on the K5.

re. FF lenses, whilst the FA* & DA* ranges are still in production the most recent completely new lense is APS-C only (DA 35) though it's inexpensive enough to possibly write off in terms of FF. Although there is the upgraded release of the DA*100 which is FF and now WR, though it wouldn't have made sense to make any changes to it other than WR which stimulates sales whilst being cheap to implement.

Personally I thought the most interesting segment of the article was the short comment on pixel density and then I was musing on how manufacturers could possibly reduce this and so offer both a wide and a long version of the same camera with different FF sensors to enable longer lenses to function as they do on crop factor sensors !

Smeggypants

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 06:14
giofi wrote:
First: I do not mean to reopen a discussion on whether FF is better that APS-C format.

It seems to me that the largest number of forum members believe that there is no justification to go from APS-D to FF.

But I have a different question: if Pentax were to release a FF camera within the next 2 years at a competitive price level (say below 2000), would you buy it?

Would we ever be happy with second best just because it is good enough?

Yes. the K-5 is second best to the 645. I've bought two K-5s. I love them. I'm not interested in a FF pentax

Smeggypants

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 06:18
Don wrote:
giofi wrote:
First: I do not mean to reopen a discussion on whether FF is better that APS-C format.

It seems to me that the largest number of forum members believe that there is no justification to go from APS-D to FF.

But I have a different question: if Pentax were to release a FF camera within the next 2 years at a competitive price level (say below 2000), would you buy it?

Would we ever be happy with second best just because it is good enough?

I suspect in two years, the 645d would be selling at a reduced price and the 645d mk 11 will out... effectively blowing a 40-80 mb hole in your ff theory.

Exactly. My Canon shooting buddy uses a FF 5D body. My K-5 Blows it away. he's jealous.

What's the obsession with FF?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 06:24
I would eventually buy one if it had the ability to use my DA lenses (as per Nikon D700) but with enough megapixels to make it worthwhile to do so. I think the D700 is around 12mp and using a crop lens brings the output down to around 5/6.

I would rather have something like a WR 100-400mm f4/5.6 and a decent AF WR teleconverter though.
. My Flickr

giofi

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 06:30
womble wrote:
I also note with amusement your not-quite-concealed bias...

Quote:
Would we ever be happy with second best just because it is good enough?



K.

As you say, the K20D is a perfectly capable camera and more than enough for most of us. Nevertheless, a large number of us have not resisted upgrading to the K-5 (myself included).

So I am curious to see how many of us would honestly resist upgrading to a FF Pentax, if released. Whether really needed or not.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Cayman

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 08:08
I think it depends on what your lens line up looks like - if mostly DA lenses then probably not worth pursuing FF. All but one of my lenses are FF so I would be keen to get my hands on a Pentax FF body if the price is similar to the 5DII/D700. I am in agreement with Kris though - I feel no need to upgrade my K20 to a K5 (although the K5 does have better high ISO performance this is not something I need).

thoughton

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 08:31
Cayman wrote:
I think it depends on what your lens line up looks like - if mostly DA lenses then probably not worth pursuing FF. All but one of my lenses are FF so I would be keen to get my hands on a Pentax FF body if the price is similar to the 5DII/D700. I am in agreement with Kris though - I feel no need to upgrade my K20 to a K5 (although the K5 does have better high ISO performance this is not something I need).

I thought you had a 645D? Why would you 'downgrade' to a full frame Pentax?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 29/04/2011 - 08:32

Cayman

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 08:44
Quote:
Why would you 'downgrade' to a full frame Pentax?

I don't see the two as mutually exclusive!

sterretje

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 12:12
Voted not-interested-at-all. Things might change in future (I retire in 12 years, might be a nice present) but for now I'm happy with APSc.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.