Pentax FF - a poll
This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 26/05/2011 - 03:07
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Sour grapes, folks. Pentax already have a head start over the Nikon and Canon FF line ups. They have the 31, 43 and 77 FA ltds - lenses which are 'suboptimal' on APSC.
I've got no sour grapes. I'm not bothered about FF. You can always want a bigger sensor even if you had a Digital Plate Camera. you hve to draw the line somewhere.Sour grapes, folks. Pentax already have a head start over the Nikon and Canon FF line ups. They have the 31, 43 and 77 FA ltds - lenses which are 'suboptimal' on APSC.
My K-5s take fantastic pics. These pics wouldn't be any better taken with a FF DSLR.
The quality of the pic is down to my snapping technique. Something I aim to improve with practise. FF ain't in that equation.
I look forward to the K-3 and ven better high ISO performance, but in the mean time loving the K-5s
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 26/05/2011 - 11:15
Link
ChrisA wrote:
300mm is already not long enough at airshows - the last thing I want is for it to be only 200mm.
OK then, I'll ask. How does a 300mm lens on a cropped sensor body become a 200mm lens on a FF or 35mm body?Oggy wrote:
With the dearth of long lenses FF is a complete non starter for me.
I totally agree. With the dearth of long lenses FF is a complete non starter for me.
300mm is already not long enough at airshows - the last thing I want is for it to be only 200mm.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 26/05/2011 - 11:22
Link
K10D wrote:
Best regards
It doesn't. It remains a 300mm of course, but a true 300mm as opposed to one where the crop factor makes it seem to be a 450mm lens.
ChrisA wrote:
300mm is already not long enough at airshows - the last thing I want is for it to be only 200mm.
OK then, I'll ask. How does a 300mm lens on a cropped sensor body become a 200mm lens on a FF or 35mm body?Oggy wrote:
With the dearth of long lenses FF is a complete non starter for me.
I totally agree. With the dearth of long lenses FF is a complete non starter for me.
300mm is already not long enough at airshows - the last thing I want is for it to be only 200mm.
Best regards
Posted 26/05/2011 - 11:23
Link
It doesn't really... the effect of a real 300mm lens on a crop body is that of a 450mm lens on a FF body.
If you've got used to using a 300mm on a crop sensor then on FF the same lens will give a wider FOV, so might feel like a 200mm in comparison, in the sense that it doesn't have the reach Obviously a real 300mm lens when used on FF gives the effect of a real 300mm.
**Edit** Note to self: type faster
If you've got used to using a 300mm on a crop sensor then on FF the same lens will give a wider FOV, so might feel like a 200mm in comparison, in the sense that it doesn't have the reach Obviously a real 300mm lens when used on FF gives the effect of a real 300mm.
**Edit** Note to self: type faster
Posted 26/05/2011 - 12:37
Link
Don't forget it's the format that gives different fields of view, not the lens. A 300mm lens is always a 300mm lens.
Best regards, John
Posted 26/05/2011 - 18:12
Link
I voted "Maybe once the price decreases" but I would also add that said FF model would have to offer a significant benefit over top-of-the-range ASP-C models like the K-5, and by that I mean a more significant benefit than FF cameras offer right now.
That may seem like a very big proviso, but I don't think it's beyond the bounds of probability that the technology used in the K-5's sensor to improve ISO/noise handling could reap even larger benefits when applied to FF sensors... otherwise I wouldn't be interested in FF at all.
Primarily my interest lies in the fact that now I've demonstrated to my own satisfaction that I can get decent images of moving targets (people) in obscenely low light conditions with reasonably fast shutter speeds and without resorting to flash, and I really like the results. Anything enabling me to take this technique even further would naturally be of interest.
Unless I get an unprecedented pay rise in the near future though, £2,000 is likely to be firmly out of bounds.
[Oh, and if Pentax are listening I'd also like better low-light AF, please, regardless of the format ]
That may seem like a very big proviso, but I don't think it's beyond the bounds of probability that the technology used in the K-5's sensor to improve ISO/noise handling could reap even larger benefits when applied to FF sensors... otherwise I wouldn't be interested in FF at all.
Primarily my interest lies in the fact that now I've demonstrated to my own satisfaction that I can get decent images of moving targets (people) in obscenely low light conditions with reasonably fast shutter speeds and without resorting to flash, and I really like the results. Anything enabling me to take this technique even further would naturally be of interest.
Unless I get an unprecedented pay rise in the near future though, £2,000 is likely to be firmly out of bounds.
[Oh, and if Pentax are listening I'd also like better low-light AF, please, regardless of the format ]
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Posted 26/05/2011 - 18:19
Link
I voted not interested at all.
I have no desire to buy a FF camera and then have to buy yet more lenses to be able to use with it. Just as well because I wouldn't be able to afford to anyway - no matter how low the price dropped.
I fully expect the K-5 to be my last camera. It does all I want and more.
I have no desire to buy a FF camera and then have to buy yet more lenses to be able to use with it. Just as well because I wouldn't be able to afford to anyway - no matter how low the price dropped.
I fully expect the K-5 to be my last camera. It does all I want and more.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6213 posts
20 years
Winterpeg Manitoba Canada
then take it a step further and add the "Pixel Multiplier" effect with the "HDR" effect for a feature set that no other d-slr on the market can copy... Canikon don't have sensor shift stabilization, so they are left out of this game...