Pentax ES I have just acquired

Jetsam1

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 11:52
This must be a rather nice and cool camera!

Seems to work (the pin does move around), came with a mint SMC Takumar 1.8 55mm lens and with a Pentax "10 Million" strap with an Ever Ready case. These were a total surprise when I opened up the box.......

Felt like sharing! The guy was selling three of these with this one having heavy brassing at the cormers, but which I think is rather nice actually...... Just need to get the test film run through.

For some reason there are quite a few of these getting put up for sale......
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

womble

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 12:18
I rather like my ES. The automatic metering is pretty good. The only real downside is the lack of metering in manual mode.

Have fun with it, it is a nice camera.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Jetsam1

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 12:22
Only cost me £12. Even if it does have problems can't really complain.

johnriley

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 12:27
Nice camera and hasn't it seen some work in its time? It's always great to find something like this, have fun with it.
Best regards, John

Dangermouse

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 13:01
You need the SMC Tak 28mm f3.5 now to complete the set!

I quite like having one or two cameras about which have obviously seen heavy use. They're handy if you want to go scrambling about in the wilderness without worrying about putting another scrape or dent on them.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Last Edited by Dangermouse on 21/07/2011 - 13:05

Jetsam1

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 13:04
Dangermouse wrote:

I know....... It's finding one! At a reasonable price. I like the Takumars, really good lenses.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 13:07
Jetsam1 wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:

I know....... It's finding one! At a reasonable price. I like the Takumars, really good lenses.

Am I right in thinking that the ES can still use the older Takumars with stop-down metering? I know the ES II and Spotmatic F could.

You could also look for a Takumar 35mm. I had one bundled with a KM and M42 adapter a while ago which has since been reunited with a Spotmatic, it's a little diamond of a lens with unbelievably smooth, precise controls. I really must figure out the Spotty's metering and shoot another roll with it as the last lot came back overexposed by a stop or two.
Matt

Jetsam1

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 13:16
This ES has the stop down lever button missing so no older Taks.... I have two Spotmatic F's for playing with nice M42 lenses too!

Reading the old broichures I do like the sound of the 35mm. I think that would suit my shooting style quite well. I have a 55mm Super Takumart on one Spottie that is a really superb B+W combo. (Got a Helios 58mm M42 coming soon as well to play with).

johnriley

Link Posted 21/07/2011 - 13:16
You can use the previous Pentax lenses, including the 50mm f1.4 that cannot be used on some older bodies.

Spotmatic and later are fine. S1a needs orange market on rewind knob, not green.

But to go back to the ES, yes, it's fine.
Best regards, John

Jetsam1

Link Posted 25/07/2011 - 11:03
OH well. It does have a problem!! Every fifth exposure, the shutter doesn't fully retract thereby leaving darkness......

Possibly mechanical in origin? Or possibly due to the battery having low charge?

Potentially looks like I'll be saving up for Harrow Technicals' expertise again!

Dangermouse

Link Posted 25/07/2011 - 21:19
I would guess mechanical. As far as I know all Pentax shutters default to closed if the batteries aren't healthy? Mind you, I've a feeling that the ES would work without batteries in manual mode.

It should be fixable, it probably just needs 30+ years of old grease and oil cleaning out and some new oil adding before a bit of adjusting.
Matt

Jetsam1

Link Posted 26/07/2011 - 08:01
The ES will operate without batteries in full manual mode, so yep think it must be mechanical. Get the test film back at the end of the week so will find out if the meter is accurate too!

cucullus

Link Posted 14/03/2012 - 10:45
I have just been clearing out my late fathers photographic equipment. I t has taken rather long as he died in 1984! He had a crome Asahi pentax ES camera which looks immaculate ( I am not a photographer). Plus a variety of Takumar lenses: 25/135; 35/135; 4/150; 70/150

I am not sure how best to dispose of these and as you bought one within the past year, I hope you or other members of the forum could best advise me. Thanks

womble

Link Posted 14/03/2012 - 12:50
I think I already answered this question on the other forum. Did you see that post? Thanks, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

cucullus

Link Posted 14/03/2012 - 13:20
Kris

Thanks so much. Yes I did see your post and was very grateful for it. I thought I was following your advice and posting on a Pentax Users UK site, rather than a USA one as before. Just shows how much of a novice I am!
I am also looking at the lens in more detail and checking E Bay. I am not after making money, just feel I can't dump my fathers beloved camera. Have spent the last few days dumping his transparencies and that was hard enough.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.