Pentax Binoculars - Advice Please.

AndrewA

Link Posted 23/06/2015 - 18:25
Not quite Photographic, but Pentax related question.

Mrs A has a pair of Pentax 8x40 XCF Binoculars, but she finds them a bit large and heavy to carry around when we are out walking.

I have found a pair of Pentax UP 10x21 Porro Prism Binoculars which are smaller and lighter. But knowing little about binoculars and finding the internet searches confusing I was wondering if anyone can let me know if for general bird and animal spotting the switch to the UPs would be a good buy in favour of the XCFs?

Thanks
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Last Edited by AndrewA on 23/06/2015 - 18:26

johnriley

Link Posted 23/06/2015 - 18:38
Shake is a bit of a problem with binoculars, so 8x40 is actually a good compromise. For lower light, 7x50 might be even better.

The larger magnification of 10x21, plus the smaller glass making brighter light necessary, doesn't seem the best choice. Apart from portability. If that's what you need most, then that's what it might need to be.
Best regards, John

Helpful

AndrewA

Link Posted 23/06/2015 - 18:51
johnriley wrote:
Shake is a bit of a problem with binoculars, so 8x40 is actually a good compromise. For lower light, 7x50 might be even better.

The larger magnification of 10x21, plus the smaller glass making brighter light necessary, doesn't seem the best choice. Apart from portability. If that's what you need most, then that's what it might need to be.

Thank you John.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 23/06/2015 - 18:52
The objective lenses on the front of the UP 10x21 are only 21mm in diameter...even allowing for good quality glass that is too small a diameter to allow these to be used for wildlife which has a habit of flitting around quickly. Also the image would be very dark relatively speaking compared to the 8x40 which she currently possesses. Might not matter so much in bright sunlight but on gloomy overcast days or anytime around dawn/dusk the performance will suffer.

To be honest 8x40 are usually recommended as being very good for wildlife and they are smaller and lighter than 10x50 which is another popular size. The 8x40 are ZCF style (Zeiss Centre Focussing) which might be the problem as these are a bit larger and heavier than other styles. It may be a case of having to spend a while gleaning the specifications of other 8x40 or 7x35 or something similar comparing size and weight...looking for something smaller and lighter. If I get time later i'll have a quick rummage online and see what i can find for you.

Lastly you need to consider your budget as the ZCF style generally are cheaper than the other styles comparing like for like. A small pair of binoculars with reasonably good quality lenses can be quite expensive...but there are exceptions.

Helpful

dcweather

Link Posted 23/06/2015 - 19:42
The Pentax Papillo 8.5x21 are remarkable. Excellent optically, as light as a feather and focus to a foot and can be got cheap. Handy in the garden however for serious birding the field of a view is a bit on the narrow side but I often take them out strapped to my belt when I don't want the weight of my "pro" birding ones. Of course fantastic for butterflies and insects with such a close focusing ability. Real fun to have.
Dave

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.