Exclusive Offer: Save 40% On EaseUS Data Recovery Software

Pentax - The end?

pschlute

Link Posted 02/09/2018 - 16:14
RobL wrote:
I see a rather sinister pattern. Could Sony be responsible for actively encouraging the dissemination of this antagonistic attitude in the same way we have seen political manipulation of the internet?

Rob, you make a very interesting point and although I am not certain it would be official policy of any camera manufacturer to spread doubt and disinformation about a competitors product, i would not rule out an agency on their behalf doing so.

Social media and avenues such as talk radio have changed completely the way information is gathered and disseminated. It is obvious that State actors are at work feeding fake news to the masses, one just has to listen to LBC when they do a phone-in on Russia. There is a constant stream of (paid ?) apologists lining up to put forward ridiculous arguments. The recent Cambridge Analytica scandal shows how important social media can be. Match that with the willingness of one car company (they cannot be the only one) to cheat on emission figures and we are not too far from what once would have been unthinkable.

i see the OP mostly posts to sell second hand lenses. not really what this forum is mainly about. I also find the text and tone of his post to be very similar to the drivel we have seen on other forums. I should like to ask him who sends him his script ? it is not original thought.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 02/09/2018 - 16:18

Algernon

Link Posted 02/09/2018 - 17:06
It existed long before the internet. It's known as FUD or F.U.D ..... Google it.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

tyronet2000

Link Posted 15/09/2018 - 14:25
Algernon wrote:
It existed long before the internet. It's known as FUD or F.U.D ..... Google it.

--

I looked it up just to be certain and my next camera will be a nice one that gets excellent reviews from users and I can afford to buy lenses for if I don't have then already. Sorted
Regards
Stan

PPG

DOIK

Link Posted 15/09/2018 - 15:38
Quote:
I looked it up just to be certain and my next camera will be a nice one that gets excellent reviews from users and I can afford to buy lenses for if I don't have then already. Sorted

Stan,will you be able to show your images on here ? 50% of mine can't

John
My Photobucket

dcweather

Link Posted 16/09/2018 - 15:52
Marat wrote:
Well Iím still using Contax gear, so does the end really mean the end anyway, and like others have said before me, I buy all my cameras used, the last new camera I bought was a Ricoh xrx and I still own it.

Me too. But I suppose that doesn't really help Pentax. For me the biggest issues are the same - and it's not closed down Pentax so far. So tracking AF still way behind the others which are improving all the time and not many third parties like Sigma and Tamron producing k-mount and with the new technology they are now producing some excellent lenses at a rate. (e.g. the 150-600mm series for around £1000 or less) . Also Nikon are developing the lightweight, compact PF telephotos that the other manufacturers will need to develop. I'm not a mirrorless fan so far but everybody seems to think that they are the way forward and not sure where Ricoh are on that one.

dcweather

Link Posted 16/09/2018 - 16:06
tuliptree wrote:
London Camera as a group will no longer sell Pentax cameras. Double discount on Pentax cameras, 11-18mm lens delayed, nothing new mentioned. Is it the end for Pentax/Ricoh?

My concern is that this forum is full of already satisfied Pentax users (like myself to a point) who already have most of what they want or buy secondhand. They may buy something new every now and again when Pentax bring out something new like the K1 but is that enough to be sustainable. How many new adopters to photography will buy a DSLR as opposed to mirrorless and even those that do - will Pentax be as high on their list as it was 5 years ago? I can see Canon and Nikon struggling as well as Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and Sony surge on. (I haven't looked at sales figures, just the feeling I get from what I am seeing people buy at my camera club and what I see while I am out and about).

RobL

Link Posted 16/09/2018 - 16:31
The DP Review in February looked at sales figures, digital overall was down on the previous year but mostly attributable to the demise of compacts. DSLRs remain steady and mirrorless, although better than previously, were down. Maybe the cheaper mirrorless bodies were perceived as just posh compacts.

There is a trend with more FF bodies and lenses for cameras to move into more expensive systems with amateur/enthusiast and professional designations becoming blurred, and this is seen in the new Pentax issues as well as the latest Canikon mirrorless systems.

Algernon

Link Posted 16/09/2018 - 18:07
Photography as those of us who came from film died long ago. Very shortly all you will need is something like an 8K video camera at 60 fps and just grab the decisive moment from about an hour of video. Anything you want in the shot can already be photoshoped in.

Most people lost the ability to see depth in photos with the arrival of monitor screens. Candids with anything longer than 55mm would have been laughed at in the 70's

The only short term future for still cameras is very expensive profitable ones plus expensive lenses. Nothing really to tempt new buyers.

Last time I looked the sales ratio of DSLR cameras to lenses was about 160%. So any mirrorless newbie manufactures had better get a crack-on producing mirrorless lenses. Bodies alone won't pay the bills.

--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 16/09/2018 - 18:14

tyronet2000

Link Posted 16/09/2018 - 18:48
DOIK wrote:
Quote:

Stan,will you be able to show your images on here ? 50% of mine can't

John

Ha Ha, I have two cameras with which I can't show images on here, an old 650d Canon used with a microscope, so no lenses for it, the software is great for remote work with a computer and monitor, and a my wifes Panasonic compact.
Regards
Stan

PPG

Algernon

Link Posted 16/09/2018 - 19:25
That must be a very small camera Stan, if you need a microscope to see it Was the previous owner a spider?

--

Algi

tyronet2000

Link Posted 17/09/2018 - 08:36
Algernon wrote:
That must be a very small camera Stan, if you need a microscope to see it Was the previous owner a spider?

--

The camera is attached to the microscope trinocular tube. I would use my K-70 for the same job but not found software for it to equal the ease of use the Canon has. Touch screen or triggered by software on the computer to avoid camera shake.
Regards
Stan

PPG

Algernon

Link Posted 17/09/2018 - 09:19
Does it also work as a baby monitor

--

Algi

tyronet2000

Link Posted 17/09/2018 - 09:27
Algernon wrote:
Does it also work as a baby monitor

--

No idea don't have any babies to try it out on. It does what I want so am happy with the set up. It's my main photography these days as I don't get out much. I'm still a member of my local camera club but think this will be my last year, if I don't have images to show in the competitions it gets very boring.
Regards
Stan

PPG

dcweather

Link Posted 17/09/2018 - 14:13
Algernon wrote:

--

Don

Link Posted 20/09/2018 - 20:56
just did the math on switching to a sony mirrorless system... is gonna cost me just over 15 grand Canadian to get everything on the list.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.