PC advice Needed

Algernon

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 11:23
I'm not a fan of SSD's either.

Photoshop doesn't need a lot of cores see.....
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Perform...

"Most actions in Photoshop are either single threaded or lightly threaded"

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 14:59
jeallen01 wrote:
jeallen01 wrote:
Quote:
Low memory maybe due to the swap/page file being disabled?

Thanks, I'll check that out!

Turns out the page file was less than 500Mb on a machine with 8GB of physical RAM - don't know exactly how it got like that as I would normally set the page file size to 1-2x the physical RAM size, but I suspect it happened when I had to use the hidden Recovery partition to rebuild the m/c after the disasterous first attempt to clone the HDD to the SDD.

Anyway, now found out again (long time since I did anything like this!) how to resize the page file and set it to 8GB. First good sign was then that Task Manager/Resource Manager did show more available "memory" now - hopefully it will stop showing the Low Memory Warnings, but that's yet to be confirmed.

PS: this is on Windows 7 Ultimate (the next step above Windows 7 Pro).

Thanks again.

This is a free program that cleans up PC Memory...
https://www.henrypp.org/product/memreduct

--

Algi

jeallen01

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 15:16
Algi

Thanks for pointing that out, but the text on the linked page says "Application it is compatible with Windows XP SP3 and higher operating systems, but some general features available only since Windows Vista" and all our machines are on W7 or W10, and so it probably wouldn't be of too much use to me/us.

Also I have IOLO System Mechanic Pro running on all the Windows machines (for home use, you can put it on as many machines as you like for the same price!) and in "automatic" mode that does a fairly good job in the background of keeping the "debris", including memory, clean.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Algernon

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 15:39
System Mechanic Pro may do a similar job. I only ever used it on an old XP machine not on my 64bit Windows 7 machine, because it's got loads of memory. It did used to clear up a lot of memory.

The description (because it's free software) doesn't look like it's been updated, but the top details give ... Supported OS: Windows XP (SP 3), Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

There's a portable version which can be tried and deleted if of no use.

--

Algi

JAK

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 16:09
System Mechanic Pro rendered my PC unbootable. Luckily I was able to roll it back.
The issue with it is it fiddled with the registry seemingly without knowing what it's doing! In general registry cleaners are best avoided.
John K

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 19:01
I think that both hard drive fragmentation and registry bloating is a much smaller issue nowadays with the latest operating systems, so probably not worth worrying about, or at least only once a year or so.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

RobL

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 20:34
I use ccleaner regularly, its free with an upgrade to pro level for a modest cost. Never had problems with wiping search history and temporary files, registry cleaning and defragging. Also secure disc wipe should you need that. Pro version is programmable to run in the background.

jeallen01

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 21:49
JAK wrote:
System Mechanic Pro rendered my PC unbootable. Luckily I was able to roll it back.
The issue with it is it fiddled with the registry seemingly without knowing what it's doing! In general registry cleaners are best avoided.

Having used System Mechanic Pro for about 4-5 yrs on a number of W7/W10 machines, I, luckily, have never had that problem.

The only real problem encountered was a netbook that just "stopped" after SM Pro loaded and showed an ad which would not clear - since that was "fixed" there have been no further problems, and SM Pro has enabled me to "resuscitate" a couple of machines that had slowed to a total crawl.

OTOH, the constant ads to "add more time" at a discount have bugged me on several machines - but there is a way of switching the ads off.

Overall, my view is that - balancing the "bad" against the "good" features - it is good value, especially if you can use the "many PC's for one subscription" feature (currently I have it on 7 PC's, one of which belongs to my stepdaughter who lives 10 miles away but which I have to "sort out" from time to time).
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Aero

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 23:58
I tried several of these "clean-up" utilities over the years, with mixed results. Oddly, I'm now receiving daily emails from System Mechanic telling me my subscription will lapse unless I renew my payment details before August 30 2014. Haven't used it in years and no sign of direct debits. Mystery.

Aero

Link Posted 11/02/2018 - 01:41
Apologies can't find a way to edit the above post on my tablet. The program at the root of the mystery is Iolo System Checkup, not System Mechanic, although I've used both.

jeallen01

Link Posted 11/02/2018 - 09:51
IIRC System Checkup is a cutdown version (and I thought it is now the free "taster" version) of System Mechanic -
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.