Olympus

fatspider

Link Posted 25/06/2020 - 12:41
Story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53165293?fbclid=IwAR3w7YCVh8_KZI1xUqY7Zi1e...
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

roberrl

Link Posted 25/06/2020 - 12:47
While many TV reporters and others use phones you don't have to watch many TV programmes for long to see seriously large devices in use.
An obvious sample would be Countryfile but even Greg Wallace's factory based programmes have a cameraman with a "proper" camera.
Of course phones are handy and it's possible to produce technically good images but they rely on being close to the subject.
Pity about Olympus though but the company that bought them has revitalised the Vaio brand they bought from Sony so maybe not all is lost.

Daronl

Link Posted 26/06/2020 - 07:42
Jetsam1 wrote:
johnriley wrote:
I think it goes to show that speculations are often totally adrift. I have lost track of how many doom-ridden opinions there have been about Pentax, and yet here we still are, thriving quite happily.

Other marques will make their own way in the world, or not, and the fortunes of a few of them go up and down all the time.

One day I will have a KP....! Somehow, maybe.

In all seriousness Pentax have a niche it seems and are able to hopefully stay functioning and release updated models every so often. I am not even sure if a new model upgrade every year is really a great strategy. I have a K200d that still works great I bought new in 2008. The K3ii actually scares me! It is very, very good. Only issue I have now is the DA* Zooms. Good but huge.

Daronl

RobL

Link Posted 26/06/2020 - 08:24
The editor of Amateur Photographer (an increasingly irrelevant title) has just concluded a long analysis of Olympus’s demise saying he hopes they don’t go the same way as Pentax which exists in name only and is now better known for glasses than cameras. A view doubtless helped by Pentax products no longer paying for ads in his shrinking magazine or anywhere else for that matter.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/06/2020 - 09:34
RobL wrote:
The editor of Amateur Photographer (an increasingly irrelevant title) has just concluded a long analysis of Olympus’s demise saying he hopes they don’t go the same way as Pentax which exists in name only and is now better known for glasses than cameras. A view doubtless helped by Pentax products no longer paying for ads in his shrinking magazine or anywhere else for that matter.

I think you summed it up with the phrase "an increasingly irrelevant title" Rob

I used to look forward to its publication each week (and would on occasion actually buy a physical copy) but I found many of its articles getting weaker over the years and although it did sometimes provide a balanced approach to Pentax (actually acknowledging the strengths) it does appear to have become very heavily into the "Bigger Brands" and they have now passed the waiting for the axe to fall on Pentax phase and have consigned them to the graveyard.

When I was at my pivotal camera buying stage (many years ago) I was teetering between Pentax and Olympus, and the deciding factor for me at that point was that more Olympus cameras were going back for warranty repairs than Pentax. And so started my long association with this awful name only brand
LennyBloke

oldhat

Link Posted 26/06/2020 - 10:44
I entirely agree about Amateur Photographer. It has become a really tired and clichéd magazine and should really re-brand itself as Digital Mirrorless Cameras.
This will be the same editor who did a real hatchet job on Pentax last year basically saying they were finished and mirrorless products would take over the world. He is a big fan of Fuji and the magazine really pushes the brand on a regular basis.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 26/06/2020 - 12:10
oldhat wrote:
I entirely agree about Amateur Photographer. It has become a really tired and clichéd magazine and should really re-brand itself as Digital Mirrorless Cameras.
This will be the same editor who did a real hatchet job on Pentax last year basically saying they were finished and mirrorless products would take over the world. He is a big fan of Fuji and the magazine really pushes the brand on a regular basis.

I thought he was Panasonic, that's when he did come to our camera club extolling the virtues of the Lumix - he was shocked when I told him I couldn't stick EVF. I actually preferred Gary Coward-Williams or Damien Demolder as editors.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

RobL

Link Posted 26/06/2020 - 14:21
oldhat wrote:

I went off AP when they started getting manufacturers to do articles for them such as Rotolight. Whatever happened to independent journalism? I get it as free downloads from the library but tend just to scan quickly, otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

Aitch53

Link Posted 26/06/2020 - 16:36
ilovesaabs wrote:

I thought he was Panasonic, that's when he did come to our camera club extolling the virtues of the Lumix - he was shocked when I told him I couldn't stick EVF. I actually preferred Gary Coward-Williams or Damien Demolder as editors.

That would be the Damien Demolder who is now the big-cheese on the LumixExperience forum?
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

womble

Link Posted 27/06/2020 - 08:27
MrB wrote:
Compared with others (e.g. Olympus) perhaps the users of certain systems (e.g. Pentax) are of a demographic less likely to transfer their photographic activities to their mobile phones?

Philip

In the latest B+W photography magazine Tim Clinch, a seasoned pro photographer, showed images from his latest commission, all taken using his phone. He didn't even bother taking a "real" camera with him for the job. The last three photos I have had published were taken on my phone. Dismissing phone cameras as just tools for Instagram snaps seriously underestimates their capabilities.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

MrB

Link Posted 27/06/2020 - 11:28
womble wrote:
MrB wrote:
Compared with others (e.g. Olympus) perhaps the users of certain systems (e.g. Pentax) are of a demographic less likely to transfer their photographic activities to their mobile phones?

Philip

In the latest B+W photography magazine Tim Clinch, a seasoned pro photographer, showed images from his latest commission, all taken using his phone. He didn't even bother taking a "real" camera with him for the job. The last three photos I have had published were taken on my phone. Dismissing phone cameras as just tools for Instagram snaps seriously underestimates their capabilities.

Hello Kris.

I'm not sure how or whether these quotes are related. Although I don't use the camera in my phone, I wouldn't dismiss their use. I know several people who make excellent images with their phones, some of which are club competition winners, but they still seem to invest time and money in their camera system too.

A few examples doesn't indicate the whole picture so, as the OP mentioned that "Olympus have blamed the rise of camera phones as a significant factor in their decision", I was simply wondering whether the numbers of people moving exclusively from particular systems to phone camera use might affect some system camera makers more than others.

It is, of course, an example of wishful thinking, as I'm hoping it doesn't affect Pentax quite so drastically!!

Cheers.
Philip
Last Edited by MrB on 27/06/2020 - 11:42

Aitch53

Link Posted 27/06/2020 - 11:39
Never used the cameras on my phones - all Android - as, for some reason, it insists I give it access to the microphone and my contacts list and I see no reason why it should need them. Especially the latter.
SteveH!

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/06/2020 - 12:17
Aitch53 wrote:
Never used the cameras on my phones - all Android - as, for some reason, it insists I give it access to the microphone and my contacts list and I see no reason why it should need them. Especially the latter.

My Android (Samsung) phone camera needs my location, microphone (for video) and storage. I can turn all or any of them off, and usually have location switched off. No mention of contacts list.
Since I seem to be unable to get back into anything like serious photography, and haven't been able to for quite a while, I use my phone camera more than my Pentax for snaps.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/06/2020 - 09:29
It's notable how much current and recent Olympus equipment is popping up second hand all of a sudden - LCE is particularly notable, branches selling off "ex-demo" equipment and presumably a fair amount of trade-ins going on. There are over 250 Olympus items on the second hand section of their website at present (with less than a hundred Pentax items)

A sad time for Olympus
LennyBloke

Aitch53

Link Posted 28/06/2020 - 09:51
Funnily(?) enough, I had decided to get rid of all my Olympus kit (body and a few lenses) just before the lock-down started.

I've always had great timing, me.
SteveH!

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.