Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

older macro lens

melness
Posted 09/12/2014 - 09:22 Link
I'm curious, are the older manual macro lenses worth a punt, it's something I enjoy but alas can't warrant forking out the kind of money the modern macros go for. Plus it's a hobby lol.

Sean
Thanks
Sean
Darkmunk
Posted 09/12/2014 - 09:28 Link
From what I've heard, yes, definitely.
But my macro work itself didn't improve when I got a dedicated macro lens, as opposed to the previous extension tube set-ups. It just meant I could turn round with the macro lens and shoot a portrait or catch the dog doing something cute.
I'm finding the 35mm macro is a great walk-around lens. I assume the 50 which seems to be quite cheap, would be similarly versatile.
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2014 - 09:29 Link
All the macro lenses are excellent. They are limited in their maximum apertures, but this means that relatively simple lenses can be made that have superb performance. Even the screw thread Takumar lenses will still do the job.
Best regards, John
Blythman
Posted 09/12/2014 - 10:19 Link
I've got an older Tamron 90mm f2.5, so not all are limited by aperture. Must use it more (then again I must use my Sigma 105mm more too)
Alan

PPG
Flickr
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2014 - 10:30 Link
There's also an Elicar 90mm that gives greater than life size reproduction. There are exceptions to everything and I think Zeiss even made some f/2 macro lenses.

If looking at manual focus, some are not cheap even now, so I'd think about a screw thread or early bayonet 50mm f/4 or 100mm f/4 from Pentax - very compact and razor sharp, with a flat field.

There's nothing wrong with the Tamron 90mm f/2.5 either, although it is bulky and heavy by comparison.
Best regards, John
geordie01
Posted 09/12/2014 - 12:54 Link
I had the DFA 100MM macro and the manual focus Tamron 90mm f2.8 72b, still got the tamron and sold the Pentax, Nowt wrong with the image quality but the build quality left a lot to be desired.I have also reaquired an M 100mm f4 which I always regretted selling. Old macro glass is still some of the best around as you do not really need A/F and it can be a hinderance sometimes.
50mpCMOS
Posted 09/12/2014 - 16:08 Link
I have most every possible item available in PK, which includes some limited macro options.

But macro and PK can barely be used in the same sentence.

Considering how long PK has been around; how many lenses are generally on the market; either now or back in time... There are not very many true macro options in PK.

Take a glance at the three fixed focal length Sigma options that could easily be converted over to PK. They are available on other platforms, but not PK. Whatever happened to extension tubes, or bellows that cost under several thousand?
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2014 - 16:38 Link
How many macro options do you need? 50mm and 100mm Pentax macro lenses are widely available, both now and since the days of the screw thread cameras. We also now have a 35mm macro. There was even a 200mm macro at one point, much sought after.

Other makes have macro lenses on K mount and always have, then add all the M42 screw mount options.....

I'm not sure why you refer to extension tubes and bellows units? If wanted, these do still exist. When I've offered screw thread or K mount bellows on eBay sales have been few and far between, so I guess demand isn't really there.
Best regards, John
Darkmunk
Posted 09/12/2014 - 18:08 Link
I'm still on the lookout for some bellows John
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2014 - 18:13 Link
I'll see if any bellows are left, the only ones staring at me obviously at this minute are some for Pentacon 6, which doesn't help!
Best regards, John
Mike-P
Posted 09/12/2014 - 19:40 Link
I think I have some Ricoh PK fit bellows somewhere if you are interested Mark.
Posted 09/12/2014 - 19:45 Link
can anyone recommend a macro for portrait.I have a k7 and k20.

inexpensive.

Regards.
50mpCMOS
Posted 09/12/2014 - 20:55 Link
Two answers; one post...

My favorite Pentax macro lens is the FA50, but unfortunately I would rarely suggest using it for live subjects. On any camera body, with almost any subject, under any lighting... The mechanically focusing FA50 likes to go through it's entire range while searching. Switching to manual can help, or with certain other subjects outside of portraiture, one can use the depth of field to also compensate.

Try the Sigma macros, they are considerably faster than anything Pentax has on the market, but there is also the size and weight issues with most of the quality Sigma lenses.

On a side note...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522603-REG/Novoflex_PROAPODIGI_100_100mm_f...

Already have one of these. Outside of this, there are no new PK bellows or extension tubes on the market
davidstorm
Posted 09/12/2014 - 23:15 Link
50mpCMOS wrote:
Two answers; one post...

My favorite Pentax macro lens is the FA50, but unfortunately I would rarely suggest using it for live subjects. On any camera body, with almost any subject, under any lighting... The mechanically focusing FA50 likes to go through it's entire range while searching. Switching to manual can help, or with certain other subjects outside of portraiture, one can use the depth of field to also compensate.

Try the Sigma macros, they are considerably faster than anything Pentax has on the market, but there is also the size and weight issues with most of the quality Sigma lenses.

I must be going a bit senile tonight as that's two thread replies that have confused me! Firstly, the FA50 is not a macro lens; it is a standard 50mm prime. It can be used for macro on tubes or bellows, but so can any other prime lens.

Secondly, why are the Sigma macros faster than the Pentax ones? Sigma macros are F2.8, the same as the Pentax DFA 100 WR.

On a related point, the Sigma 105mm macro is one of the finest portrait lenses I have ever used, it has beautiful natural rendering for skin tones and lovely soft bokeh when used wide open.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
50mpCMOS
Posted 10/12/2014 - 00:30 Link
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?=Pentax+Normal+smc+P-D+FA+50mm+f%2F2.8+Macr...

States macro on this site; even on the Pentax site. The Pentax FA50 is a macro lens; as all of the lenses with the Pentax FA designation are technically full frame lenses, but also... Almost all of the presently marketed FA's are macro. Sorry not my perspective, but that's the way the company is labeling them.

As for faster (my error); it should have read faster focusing - I left out the focusing word accidently.
Edited by 50mpCMOS: 10/12/2014 - 00:32

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.