Macro and Wide Angle front Convertors

davidrobinson

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 14:41
Has anyone experience of any of these or similar devices http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-0-45x-Wide-Angle-Macro-Conversion-Lens-for-Nikon-...
I didn't know such things existed but would love to be able to use my 18-55 kit lens for the occasional wide angle and macro shot. If anyone has used anything similar please let me know. I haven't got lots of cash to splash on a new high end lens so are they any good? Or what would you suggest for people like me with limited funds.

percy

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 15:21
I had a 0.7x wide angle converter paired with the 18-55 with my first DSLR. I found the results were perfectly acceptable. It will never be as good as a dedicated lens, but it's a good and cheap way to find out whether you really want a wide angle lens.

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 17:14
The results are not great, but probably OK for web or small prints. It's a cheap and cheerful way of achieving wide or tele shots from a standard lens. A prime might be a better choice to use a front converter on, rather than a zoom.
Best regards, John

Helpful

davidrobinson

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 17:17
johnriley wrote:
The results are not great, but probably OK for web or small prints. It's a cheap and cheerful way of achieving wide or tele shots from a standard lens. A prime might be a better choice to use a front converter on, rather than a zoom.

Thanks for that, I understand you get what you pay for. At this stage I cant afford a dedicated lens so an adapter might keep me happy for a while. This one seems to good to be true so it probably is.
Regards David
Last Edited by davidrobinson on 07/12/2014 - 17:18

stu62

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 17:39
the wife uses them on her bridge camera with some good photos but they are very fiddley to get to focus but if you want to play then they are not to exspencive think i payed 15 pound for a polaroid set las xmas

may i ask where you are from

regards stu

Helpful

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 22:56
For the zoom lens mentioned in the starting of this thread post...

The most economical item in TWO different ways would be to use a front end lens filter.

One can purchase them in single filters or sets; from +1 to +10, in some cases well beyond ten. And depending upon the filter size selected; one might just be able to use that same sized filter on a second lens -eventually.

The most popular front end filter size for Pentax braded PK lenses seems to currently be 49mm.

One might also want to look into actually purchasing larger filters and then using conversion step up rings; stepping up from the original lens front sided thread to one which would normally be larger than what is found on the front.

davidrobinson

Link Posted 07/12/2014 - 23:03
50mpCMOS wrote:
For the zoom lens mentioned in the starting of this thread post...

The most economical item in TWO different ways would be to use a front end lens filter.

One can purchase them in single filters or sets; from +1 to +10, in some cases well beyond ten. And depending upon the filter size selected; one might just be able to use that same sized filter on a second lens -eventually.

The most popular front end filter size for Pentax braded PK lenses seems to currently be 49mm.

One might also want to look into actually purchasing larger filters and then using conversion step up rings; stepping up from the original lens front sided thread to one which would normally be larger than what is found on the front.

I'm afraid you've lost me a little. Are you just talking about filters or the Macro/Wide Angle screw on adapters I'm enquiring about?
Regards David
Last Edited by davidrobinson on 07/12/2014 - 23:04

MrB

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 00:08
As John has written, the results from the sort mentioned in Post #1 are not that good. However, a friend at the local camera club has achieved very good close-ups with the Raynox 250 - it is only macro not a wide-angle adapter though.

Cheers.
Philip
Last Edited by MrB on 08/12/2014 - 00:09

Helpful

petrochemist

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 08:03
I've used several wide angle adapters. Th quality does vary somewhat, with the cheaper ones tending to vignette on wide angle lenses. But results are reasonable given the price.
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].FlickrWPFPanoramio

Helpful

Darkmunk

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 09:26
Raynox 250 should be in everyone's bag. Even if you have a macro, it never hurts to go even bigger They are good quality and also double up as a magnifying glass or a macro lens for your phone!
Or buy an old wide angle for a few quid (like a soligor 28mm) and get a lens reversing ring to either reverse it onto your body or onto the end of a longer lens.
I can't comment about wide angle.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

Helpful

davidrobinson

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 10:54
Darkmunk wrote:
Raynox 250 should be in everyone's bag. Even if you have a macro, it never hurts to go even bigger They are good quality and also double up as a magnifying glass or a macro lens for your phone!
Or buy an old wide angle for a few quid (like a soligor 28mm) and get a lens reversing ring to either reverse it onto your body or onto the end of a longer lens.
I can't comment about wide angle.

Im beginning to feel the Raynox macro adater may be better for me but liked the idea of having Macro and Wide in one adapter. Re the Raynox whats the difference between a Raynox 150 and a 250 when on my kit 18-55 lens.

Darkmunk

Link Posted 08/12/2014 - 11:21
Just magnification. Can't see any point in the 150 personally.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.