North Wales meet?

JammyBee

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 02:43
I will be coming from Crewe so can pick up whatsthisbuttondo on my way through do we have any plan for a meet up point. And do you all promise to be gentle to a second time round noob
My Flickr

JammyBee

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 02:49
Not sure if a venue has been nailed down but how about the Menai strait it has a few castles a lighthouse and plenty of wildlife, its also easy to get to being along the A55.
My Flickr

Stuey

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 12:35
The weather may determine where we go but the Menai Straits are a decent option.

I live a few miles outside Llangollen, maybe you could join up and share the travel, it would let you sleep for an hour on the way there
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

DaveKitson

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 13:16
FWIW:

On the 14th June, there is a full spring tide at around 12:20 in the Straits (varies a bit depending on location).

dave k
My PBase: www.pbase.com/davekitson
Last Edited by DaveKitson on 24/05/2014 - 13:33

JammyBee

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 13:57
Sounds like we are nailing down the plans, I always wanted to take some time looking along the straits as I tend to just zip passed on the way else where. I would only be leaving Crewe about 7-7::30 as dogs must be walked. I can pick up Pete from Nantwich and either head down to Llangollen ( where the wife and I are off to tomorrow ) to meet up with Stuey or up passed Chester and along the A55.
I would love to take time checking out the bridges, I believe their are a few good walks between them. What route would we take from yours Stuey as I know their are some very impressive sights along routes from Llangollen .
Peace James
My Flickr

HowardJ

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 15:14
Hi,

I've been following this thread with interest as I was hoping to join you but it seems now that it may not happen.

Stuey wrote:
The weather may determine where we go but the Menai Straits are a decent option.

If you are thinking of the Menai Strait then this -
link

is a very nice walk and takes you under the suspension bridge.

The first lay by after you come off the A55 is a good place for a stunning view of the strait also a good place to meet.

Hope that helps.

Pob lwc,

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

Stuey

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 13:38
Apologies for my inactivity for a few days, I have some family issues going on but will respond as and when I can.

It's looking good for 14.6, the more the better

My Flickr site link

bychan

Link Posted 05/06/2014 - 01:34
The Menai walk does sound like a nice walk, one I've been meaning to do for a while (that's the problem when you live so far away. ).

link

Regards
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

Stuey

Link Posted 05/06/2014 - 12:12
Hi Adrian

I'm glad to see that you have chipped in so to speak

The hill fort in your next of the woods is one of the options I was considering dependent upon the level of energy intended by the participants

The Menai walk looks a decent option

So far I have been contemplating matters, both Anglesey and mainland as the weather could differ on the day.

One of my thought was to try to obtain shots of the Menai Bridges from a less usual angle, maybe a trip at some part of the day to Newborough forest with the remote possibility of a red squirrel or two just to name a few

At present it the forecast is changeable so fingers crossed

As for a meeting place nearby/ place to eat I have experience of a few but feel the need for better options.

Regards

Stu

My Flickr site link
Last Edited by Stuey on 05/06/2014 - 12:14

judderman62

Link Posted 05/06/2014 - 12:25
red squirrel sounds good Stu
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Stuey

Link Posted 05/06/2014 - 13:33
Hi Mike

Again this may later depending on the weather and the wishes of participants, but here is the plan I am hatching so far.

1. Meet up, location near the Menai Walk or other potential bridge, scenery shooting locations.

2. Eat - location not yet known but usually a popular option.

3. Head for Newborough Forest for the Squirrels and other wildlife in that area

4. Llanddwyn Bay and Island

5. Possibly Aberffraw bay as well.

It may be worth having a later start for a later finish with a sunset to be caught for the late hanger on or two or just making it a full day (early to late)

Of course I am willing to alter at the requests of others and will continue to look into this.

Regards

Stu

My Flickr site link
Last Edited by Stuey on 05/06/2014 - 13:34

JammyBee

Link Posted 05/06/2014 - 15:47
I can't make sunset due to the wife and I being out in the evening but happy to bring my own car and head off home when I need too. Like the idea of bridge and wildlife.
Peace James
My Flickr

DaveKitson

Link Posted 05/06/2014 - 18:12
Stuey wrote:
Hi Mike

Again this may later depending on the weather and the wishes of participants, but here is the plan I am hatching so far.

1. Meet up, location near the Menai Walk or other potential bridge, scenery shooting locations.

2. Eat - location not yet known but usually a popular option.

3. Head for Newborough Forest for the Squirrels and other wildlife in that area

4. Llanddwyn Bay and Island

5. Possibly Aberffraw bay as well.

It may be worth having a later start for a later finish with a sunset to be caught for the late hanger on or two or just making it a full day (early to late)

Of course I am willing to alter at the requests of others and will continue to look into this.

Regards

Stu

Sounds OK to me Stu.

One obvious meeting place is the layby between the two bridges on the Anglesey side of the straits. (cross Britannia Bridge, turn right towards Menai Bridge and its almost immediately on your right).

It's a good place for photographing the Menai Bridge and there is lots of space for cars.

Llanddwyn Island sounds good, but access around high tide might be difficult. Late afternoon should be fine.
My PBase: www.pbase.com/davekitson

Stuey

Link Posted 05/06/2014 - 20:34
Hi Dave

That's good advice, I know the layby and have poked my camera over the wall there before

The car park at the start/finish of the walk may be better if we time that bit for the morning then eat, then move on to Newborough before Llandwyn

Regards

Stu

My Flickr site link

HowardJ

Link Posted 05/06/2014 - 21:51
Hi Stu et al,

If you are going to Newborough to see the red squirrels I have been told that between 3 & 4 is a good time to go, that's when they are active. (That is the time I took the shots of the reds that I have in my portfolio). Also it used to cost 2, probably more now, to get down to the car park near the beach at Llanddwyn.

Cheers,

Howard
Cymru Am Byth
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.