No Photography, No Viewing?

Smeggypants
Posted 12/04/2011 - 17:05 Link
TOZZA27 wrote:
Interesting concept Tyr - I once asked a Forensic Pathologist why we just didn`t wipe out all the criminals and rid society of the genes - his reply was that nature would just throw us a curve and create a super criminal to replace the extinct ones.

Must be the same with jobsworths

Tony
hehe
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
philstaff
Posted 13/04/2011 - 09:51 Link
I feel the same way when visiting Durham Cathederal it would be nice to be able to take some HD shots in the building.
Ian
bforbes
Posted 13/04/2011 - 10:26 Link
philstaff wrote:
I feel the same way when visiting Durham Cathederal it would be nice to be able to take some HD shots in the building.
Ian
link
Edited by bforbes: 13/04/2011 - 10:26
Frogherder
Posted 13/04/2011 - 10:28 Link
Quote:
I feel the same way when visiting Durham Cathederal it would be nice to be able to take some HD shots in the building.
That's odd a few years ago whilst in Durham Cathedral I mentioned to one of the ushers/helpers? that I would like to see the misericords and he wouldn't let me out until I'd seen all of them and photographed as many as I wanted. This was using film so I didn't take more than a reel full as I didn't have that much time.

Totally different story in Hereford though

Bernard
sam-joseph
Posted 13/04/2011 - 11:14 Link
That's it for me. I was going to fly the Lear jet over there for the weekend to do a museum tour, but I won't bother. Think I'll catch the train to the Sydney Royal Easter Show instead.
Regards
Sam-Joseph
Pentax K7, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Sigma 70-300 APO, Sigma 1.4x TC, Vivitar 2x TC. Takumar 135mm f2.5, SMC Pentax A 50mm 1:1.7, SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, Pentax X70
T140
Posted 13/04/2011 - 12:03 Link
I have found some privately owned places ie. rosslyn chapel dont allow photography because they want you to buy their postcards
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start
Dangermouse
Posted 13/04/2011 - 12:45 Link
I can understand museums saying "no flash", as many items in their collections need to be kept in low light to preserve them. What annoys me is when this becomes "no photography".
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Steve Chasey
Posted 13/04/2011 - 13:01 Link
Matt - I suspect 'no flash' gets upgraded to 'no photography' because of all the P&S users who don't seem able to switch off the built in flash. Shame that those of us who could and would be happy to take low light photographs without damaging the item are penalised as a result.

Steve
In the Pack - Gripped K5 (SE),K7 & K20, Gripped MZ-S(SE)& MZ-S,DA10-17, DA12-24, DA14, DA*16-50, 50-135, 60-250 & 300mm; FA31mm/43mm/77mm Ltds; Sigma 8-16, 135-400 & 150-500
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex
johnriley
Posted 13/04/2011 - 13:07 Link
When it comes down to it quite a lot of flashes at 1/1000sec or even 1/10,000sec each would be needed to have any effect whatsoever.

However, no flash seems to be trundled out as a reason, just as "insurance reasons" used to be...it's all meaningless and unproven and just reflects that basically some people just love to make rules.
Best regards, John
Pentaxophile
Posted 13/04/2011 - 14:02 Link
Flash photography is simply an annoyance to other people and kills the atmosphere in museums and cathedrals etc. It's a shame that as Steve says, this sometimes means all photographers are penalised, as people don't realise we can turn our flashes off.
fatspider
Posted 13/04/2011 - 14:02 Link
They may well change their minds when visitor numbers begin to plummet,

A mobile phone can easily include not only a camera but notepad and voice reorder, how many people are going to put up with having to deposit a mobile phone at a ticket desk

I think we should organise a Pentax meet at this place, 100 of us turn up with very large identical camera bags and each carrying the same mobile phone, partners would have to carry large rucksacks, all identical of course, I wonder how much room they have at the ticket desk?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
TOZZA27
Posted 13/04/2011 - 14:56 Link
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
Gwyn
Posted 13/04/2011 - 16:01 Link
I'm just back from Chester cathedral. There was no problem taking photographs there thank goodness. I wanted to get photos of the Quire as my great(-great?) grandfather did the carvings. Just as well I could take pictures since there weren't any postcards of it.

I've never been to the BoB museum in Kent, even though it is not far from my sister-in-law. Doesn't look I will visit it after reading this.

I wouldn't mind paying a small fee to be able to take my camera in and photograph, provided of course it was strictly enforced so camera phones weren't allowed without payment too.

Visiting various Native American villages in Arizona and New Mexico we had to pay to take the camera in, but I was OK with that.
T140
Posted 13/04/2011 - 16:16 Link
It's funny that gwyn should mention paying to take pictures, the salt mine on the outskirts of krakow in poland charge if you want to take pictures, if memory serves me it worked out about 75p which i did'nt mind
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start
Edited by T140: 13/04/2011 - 16:17
Frogherder
Posted 13/04/2011 - 16:32 Link
In response to Gwyn. I am pleased that Chester gets a mention, I've been wanting to go there for years but each time I get anywhere near I'm on the way to somewhere else. I was surprised you can trace your G....GF to 13th century, but you probably mean a refurbishment.

To all you may appreciate the following - I did try the 'link' button but couldn't get it to work properly - I'm still learning how to use this site.


"http://www.chester360.co.uk/chester-cathedral/quire"

regards
Bernard

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo