Depth of Field
Posted 13/04/2011 - 10:24
Link
Depth of field is what we are talking about. Depth of focus refers to the allowable error in the position of the film/sensor.
If you have the same magnification you will have the same DOF regardless of lens. Of course, the perspective will be different as you will be a different distance from the subject.
If you have the same magnification you will have the same DOF regardless of lens. Of course, the perspective will be different as you will be a different distance from the subject.
Best regards, John
Posted 13/04/2011 - 10:37
Link
It's the image size and aperture that control DOF.
Focal length doesn't matter, so use 50mm or 300mm
at say f/11 and the DOF for the same image will be the
same.
Focal length doesn't matter, so use 50mm or 300mm
at say f/11 and the DOF for the same image will be the
same.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 13/04/2011 - 10:42
Link
Thanks John/Algenon
I had a suspicion that was the case, but couldn't quite prove it to my self with the kit I have available. It's also almost 50 years since I did optics in physics at school so the formulae are somewhat vague.
You may have noticed that my last few posts have a similar theme - One of the things I'm investigating is what I might need in trying to improve the photographs I take of my grand-daughter. This one varies in that I had been looking at the bugs and flowers that are appearing in my garden.
regards
Bernard
I had a suspicion that was the case, but couldn't quite prove it to my self with the kit I have available. It's also almost 50 years since I did optics in physics at school so the formulae are somewhat vague.
You may have noticed that my last few posts have a similar theme - One of the things I'm investigating is what I might need in trying to improve the photographs I take of my grand-daughter. This one varies in that I had been looking at the bugs and flowers that are appearing in my garden.
regards
Bernard
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1776 posts
17 years
Burton upon Trent
Say I use a 55mm lens and a tube extension and fill the AF frame in the viewfinder with a ladybird.
The alternative is a 300mm macro lens also with appropriate tube to get the same sized image.
Which setup would give the greatest depth of field (focus) [I don't really want to get into the technicalities of which is the correct term - I'm told they're different]
Sorry I should have added - given the same aperture- as I realise that f22 gives a much greater dof than f3.5
Bernard