News Item from AP

johnriley

Link Posted 13/02/2014 - 16:27
There was a small news item in AP, quoting the MD of Ricoh UK. He was saying that the focus of all their efforts in 2014 would be to build up the Pentax DSLR ranges and make Pentax a much bigger part of Ricoh.

He also said that it was their intent to work on pulling buyers away from Nikon/Canon/Sony.
Best regards, John

michaelblue

Link Posted 13/02/2014 - 16:45
Let's hope so.
They're going to have to invest in marketing a lot more than has been previously.

Good luck to them!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

stub

Link Posted 13/02/2014 - 17:02
Already two months into 2014 No range to speak of, No outlets, No image in the market place. So good luck with that one Mr Ricoh..... We will be watching.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

gartmore

Link Posted 13/02/2014 - 17:16
What is the relevance of January 1st 2014?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

ChrisA

Link Posted 13/02/2014 - 19:45
johnriley wrote:
and make Pentax a much bigger part of Ricoh.

Maybe they're selling their photocopier business.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 13/02/2014 - 19:55
Watch all those going for Nikon and Canon coming back to the fold after realising their 6D/5D3/D610/D800 aren't quite as well sealed as the Pentax FF isn't the be all and end all...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Blackbeard1

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 22:45
I really don't think Ricoh have any chance of taking buyers from Nikon/Canon/Sony bearing in mind the new Nikon D3300 announced today - Body only for £500. Canon have similar models for an equally competitive price. Unless Ricoh are willing to compete with these models, they will just be left behind & that would be a real shame. Can't they see this?.
Pentax KX film, K10, K5, K-01, K3.
Lenses:- Pentax 28mm f2.8 SMC - Pentax 135mm f3.5 SMC - 2x Pentax 18-55 kit lenses - Tamron 70-300 - Pentax 55-300 - Pentax 80-200 - Pentax 40mm f2.8 Pancake - Sirius 500mm Mirror lens - Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG - Sigma 10-20 f3.5. Pentax 35mm f2.4.
Various grips/bellows/ext. tubes etc. 2x Interfit EX150 flash heads.
Sunpak Autozoom 4000 Hammerhead flash.
Mamiya C33 TLR with 65mm f3.5 & 180mm f3.5 lenses.

johnriley

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 22:50
Value is not all about price, but Pentax offer features in their cameras that the others don't.

Quality of construction, weather sealing, glass pentaprism viewfinders, 100% view, it goes on and on.

In may respects Pentax are well ahead of the competition.
Best regards, John

leytono

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 22:52
Affordable and relatively compact FF model is what's needed, that seems to be the current best seller for the two companies mentioned.

Not sure a higher standard of weatherproofing is that much of a draw
Last Edited by leytono on 01/03/2014 - 22:52

wvbarnes

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 23:13
I smiled at Nikon discovering Pentax's TAV mode for their new giant expensive pro camera.

Quote... Another small change worth mentioning is the camera's ability to use the Auto ISO feature while in manual exposure mode. This allows you to choose a shutter speed and an aperture setting and let the camera decide on the necessary ISO. And, because the D4s has an Exposure Comp button as well as two control dials, you can apply exposure compensation so that you get your chosen image brightness, when working this way.

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 23:21
wvbarnes wrote:
I smiled at Nikon discovering Pentax's TAV mode for their new giant expensive pro camera.

This was added to the Canon 1DX a few weeks ago via a firmware update. Not TAv mode but as near as dammit ... in manual mode the camera can now do auto ISO plus EV compensation.

1DX owners were raving over it, apparently it made the camera just about unbeatable.
. My Flickr

Dodge69

Link Posted 02/03/2014 - 00:20
I don't know, the D3300 looks like its got right in there, ahead of the game yet again.

You would expect a 'K60' or whatever the K50 replacement is, to have to compete with it to please the 'buy by numbers' laymen.

johnriley wrote:
Value is not all about price, but Pentax offer features in their cameras that the others don't.

Quality of construction, weather sealing, glass pentaprism viewfinders, 100% view, it goes on and on.

In may respects Pentax are well ahead of the competition.

Maybe, but for the laymen those could easily equate to -

Unnecessarily and overly heavy, I'm not going to be out in bad weather, what's a pentaprisim? look at the pixels numbers in these new viewfinders, the adverts for Canikon go on and on.

In many respects I've never heard of Pentax

Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

JonSchick

Link Posted 02/03/2014 - 00:46
stub wrote:
Already two months into 2014 No range to speak of, No outlets, No image in the market place. So good luck with that one Mr Ricoh..... We will be watching.

Don't agree. Bigger range, definitely more outlets (back in John Lewis and more extensive range in Jessops), and quite a lot of adverts in more recent mags over the past few months. There's a way to go, but I think Ricoh is a lot better for Pentax than Hoya was.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

K10D

Link Posted 02/03/2014 - 01:10
"Nobody Knows Anything". link

Have a look down the article under "Others".

Pentax is an enigma. Traded first to Hoya and now to Ricoh, it's hard to understand what their product strategy is, if there even is one. Their Q series mirrorless isn't taken seriously, and their DSLRs, while quite nice machines, don't really blaze any new ground. The company has some excellent lenses though.

Should Ricoh really need to keep pushing the benefits of WR to help market their products or isn't Joe Public that bothered.

Of course, as Pentax User's, we can disagree with Mr Reichmann's point of view.

Best regards

Smeggypants

Link Posted 02/03/2014 - 02:20
K10D wrote:
"Nobody Knows Anything". link

Have a look down the article under "Others".

Pentax is an enigma. Traded first to Hoya and now to Ricoh, it's hard to understand what their product strategy is, if there even is one. Their Q series mirrorless isn't taken seriously, and their DSLRs, while quite nice machines, don't really blaze any new ground. The company has some excellent lenses though.

Should Ricoh really need to keep pushing the benefits of WR to help market their products or isn't Joe Public that bothered.

Of course, as Pentax User's, we can disagree with Mr Reichmann's point of view.

Best regards

Wasn't that the point of the Q. A quirky fun machine. After all it does have a range of non serious "Toy lenses"

I always saw the Q as a little fun machine. My only gripe with it was it's price. far too expensive for what it was in the first chapter of it's life.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.