Newbie seeks advice about a Pentax SF7

Anonymous

Link Posted 10/09/2004 - 11:39
Hello all

I am completely new to photography and found a second hand Pentax SF7 for £70 with a 35-70mm lens. I am just wondering what people think about this camera, should I buy it, are there ary little quirks I should know about etc.

Also I went on the Pentax website in america to download the manual and I only found the sf1 and sf10, are these cameras similar.

Thanks.

ivanhoe

Link Posted 24/10/2004 - 14:13
got one go ahead
a picture paints a thousand words

spbatt

Link Posted 24/10/2004 - 18:41
The SF7 is a good camera in my books, it offers lots and is easy to use, and great value secondhand. Still, a camera is only as good as the lens you use it with and I happen to also like the Pentax-A versions of the 35-70mm zoom - nicely compact and light but having a useful zoom range and very decent performance. I have an Pentax-F version being cleaned so have not used it...yet, but I believe the -A and -F lenses are the same optically.

Regards
Simon

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/10/2004 - 20:24
The SF7 was called the SF10 in the USA. It is well-made by modern standards

£70 is not especially cheap for this camera/lens combination. You might be able to do slightly better on Ebay, though if you can see and handle the camera before buying it, that is worth something.

George

Anonymous

Link Posted 22/01/2006 - 15:19
I got a SF7 from my father. It is not my first camera, but it is my first SLR.

amilner

Link Posted 23/01/2006 - 17:22
I've had a couple of SF7s - part of ebay 'job lots' when looking for a lens. I ran films through them before selling them on, being an honest sort of guy. My main criticism would be the lack of any exposure compesation in any of the auto motes, lack of DOF preview, and also the lack of shutter speed display below 1/30 in the viewfinder. But they are good solid cameras, and I found them particularly good with longer telephotos. The MZ6 (which is my main film body) is a rather poor balance with a long lens. Got my eyes on a couple of Z1s on ebay...

I would say £70 with the 35-70 is a bit steep - I paid about the same for one with the 35-135 and the AF400FTZ flash
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner

Kimbo

Link Posted 24/01/2006 - 17:46
I agree that the price isn't particularly cheap and I'd personally look for something with a more up to date metering system.
Being essentially a trimmed down SFX, the SF7 is somewhat dated - the AF is slow by today's standards but perfectly adequate for most situations and the centre-weighted metering requires careful use to get the best results.
IMO the SF range were very well built and even today represent an excellent introduction to AF SLR photography and the SF7 was aimed at beginners.

I'd be tempted to look for something like an MZ5 though, you should be able to pick one up for a similar amount
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!

fireman4792000

Link Posted 25/01/2014 - 16:16
Do you know if exist a battery grip for this camera ? The SF7 ? Thanks

gartmore

Link Posted 25/01/2014 - 16:43
There is no need for a battery grip, the batteries last for ages and power the meter and the film transport. They are already big chunky cameras.

I have an SFX and an SFXn which I've always enjoyed but now the entire series is somewhat overlooked but £70 does seem a bit steep. For more information look here: link
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

tyronet2000

Link Posted 28/03/2014 - 14:56
I sold my SFXn (my first proper camera) a couple of years ago when I went digital. Last week a fellow pentax user told me he has a load of film in a fridge. Perhaps I was a bit premature in selling.
Regards
Stan

PPG

gartmore

Link Posted 28/03/2014 - 15:27
Definitely, they are like kipper ties
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Blythman

Link Posted 28/03/2014 - 16:24
Sure the SF7 shared the same AA battery pack as the SFXn.

I bought one a couple of years ago for my SFXn - don't even know where I've put it
Alan

PPG
Flickr

johnha

Link Posted 28/03/2014 - 23:52
The SFXn AA battery grip (I'm not sure if it fits the SF7?) replaces the normal grip and is about twice the depth making the handgrip a bit bulkier. It's main use is allow the use of AA batteries (non-rechargeable) instead of the Lithium battery.

They are hard to find - and those advertised are often the Lithium grip incorrectly described.
PPG Flickr

Deli

Link Posted 13/03/2019 - 01:11
Hi all

I'm a newbi to the REAL camera world and just bought a Pentax Sf7 for 55 British Pounds from camera world is that a fair price (it comes with a 6 month guarantee) I have also noticed it needs a battery. What is the standard time before the battery runs down before I need a new one? I know it's based on being active so I thought if I turned it off and only on for taking a picture through the day,,,,,,,,,,I am rambling, but how many exposures on average?

johnriley

Link Posted 13/03/2019 - 10:34
Film camera batteries usually last at least six months and maybe a year or more. Check out the manual online and it will no doubt include more specific information.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.