Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New York

Posted 25/01/2013 - 22:54 Link
Has anyone been to New York?
I am thinking of going, and take some photos (surprised - LOL) Obviously My K-5 and primes will be going with me.

So whoever has been, what do you think and suggestions apart from the obvious places (top of the rock, Ellis and Liberty, Greenwich etc etc)

Some Cameras
steven9761
Posted 25/01/2013 - 23:11 - Helpful Comment Link
Try getting some shots from the boat heading across Jamaica bay towards Ellis Island. You should get a pretty good shot of the Manhattan skyline, and with any luck, a few planes taking off or landing at JFK. If you are going next week, I believe the NY Fashion Show's on, so lots of piccies of the garments being moved to and from the venue on garment rails, with lots of colourful fabrics to work with in the shots. Sometimes, the pro photog's get the models to pose for a few shots in Central Park, usually around Madison Avenue. Plenty of gaudy neon lights to work with too, without even having to go near Broadway, Times Square, or Madison Square Gardens. You won't be stuck for ideas - that's for sure!!
Edited by steven9761: 25/01/2013 - 23:12
Posted 26/01/2013 - 00:12 Link
Not going next week I am afraid. It is more likely to be the end of April. Or failing that - October. Why? I am in Amsterdam in May and Paris in June.
Still, they are good choices to add to the list. I am collating a list of must see's when I am there.

As for lenses. Looking on Flickr, it seems that wide to medium tele are the ones to take. As my sling can take a lot, I am initially thinking of the following that I have
Sigma 10-20
21mm Limited
28mm SMC-F
35mm SMC-DA
40mm Limited
50mm F1.7 and F1.4 (one AF and one contrasty wide open)
55mm F1.8, yes I know, but why not......
50-135mm
Plus the K20D as backup body.

However it is early days, and this could change......
Some Cameras
Posted 26/01/2013 - 00:14 Link
Oh, one place I will go to is Highline Park. It is the former elevated railway from Meatpacking district to Penn Station. It is a must for me with great views of the west side.
Some Cameras
steven9761
Posted 26/01/2013 - 00:25 - Helpful Comment Link
For the "on the ground" shots in downtown Manhattan, I'd suggest working with a wide-angle - my choice from your list of lenses would be the 21mm Ltd. The 50-135 should be about right for any shots you might take of Central Park from an elevated perspective. If you can find a skyscraper with a viewing platform close to any of the park's four corners, that would be the place I'd choose for that sort of shot. for "people" shots, I think the 40mm Ltd would be best for any "candids", as quite a few New Yorkers are, shall we diplomatically say, "camera-shy"?... Or to put it another way - if you go in to some of them too close, one of the citizens may give you a free colonoscopy with your own camera!
steven9761
Posted 26/01/2013 - 00:33 - Helpful Comment Link
Just had a thought on your trip to Amsterdam - if you are going early May, you might just catch the tail-end of the Keukenhof Tulip Festival, or at least get some pics of the little towns on the suburbs of Amsterdam, such as Leiden, Lelystad, or Haarlem.

When you get to Paris, get one of the locals to point you in the direction of the original Statue Of Liberty. Also, get yourself to the Trocadero for a view across the Seine towards the Tour Eiffel, and L'ecole Militaire behind it. Avoid the Pigalle - there's nothing of merit there. I think it was already going downhill long before Toulouse-Lautrec decided to paint La Moulin Rouge there!!
Dodge69
Posted 26/01/2013 - 00:44 - Helpful Comment Link
It's ALL good! It's like Disney land for urban photography. I would just go out and feel the streets, Little Italy/Chinatown is great, Central Park really good, Brooklyn, all the bridges. Try and walk as much as you can, get the subway in the morning to get your to a starting point/tourist destination, get it home, but walk around in random directions as much as you can. I remember ending up at free concert at South Street Seaport by just doing that, fantastic evening.

Keep the day kit to a minimum. Next time I go I think I could easily survive with the 21 & 40, though I'd probably take my F50 1.4 instead of the 40, its a bit more creative and your always likely to be out late.

First time I went I took the kit 18-55 & 50-200, they work great, very light and great focal coverage. The one thing I did miss was the Siggy UWA, that should be a must for a first timer, but if you've spent some decent time there you've probably got most of the skylines & toursity up shots of skyscrapers you want and that everybody else has.

It's all on the streets. Hope that helps
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
matwhittington
Posted 26/01/2013 - 10:32 - Helpful Comment Link
If you head down to Battery Park and pick up the ferry to Staten Island, you get some great views of the Statue of Liberty, and of Manhattan from the water, from the ferry and it's free as I recall. The only condition is that you have to get off the ferry at the other end (but there will be one back after a few minutes) - alternatively you could take a look at Staten Island, there is a small zoo there as I recall.

Also recommend taking a look at Grand Central Station - pretty iconic place and a nice sea-food restaurant there too.

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link
SteveF
Posted 26/01/2013 - 16:11 - Helpful Comment Link
+1 for the Staten Island Ferry and the "different" views available (and people shots of fellow passengers).

I also recommend taking the subway to Brooklyn and then walking back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge for great views.

The Radio City Theatre is an interesting art deco building and the backstage tour is interesting.
techno-terminator
Posted 26/01/2013 - 16:19 - Helpful Comment Link
Grand Central - can't say anything about a sea food restaurant - but I enjoyed Juniors there - cheesecake to die for

Also the cops in their little electric runabouts - very happy to be photographed
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Gwyn
Posted 26/01/2013 - 16:23 - Helpful Comment Link
Have a look at Kris (Womble) Lockyear's website - he has some fantastic photos of New York to inspire you.

If you fancy meeting up when you are in Amsterdam let me know.
matwhittington
Posted 26/01/2013 - 16:40 - Helpful Comment Link
One other suggestion - although it depends on your particular inclination - is to take the greyline open-topped bus tour(s) to get oreintation of the city - they generally have a decent commentary, are open-topped and easy to take photos from (although watch out for low hanging traffic lights!). They are hop-on/hop-off so a decent way of getting about as well. We had a ticket which we bought in the UK online before going which got us something like three days use of buses, plus entry to five attractions (from a list of about 40) for a decent price. From memory the attractions we did were Empire State, Top of the Rock, Museum of Natural History, Madame Tussauds, and the USS Intrepid Air and Space Museum. The greylines also do night tours, and we went on one of those around downtown Manhattan and Brooklyn, which was cool as well. The only drawback when we were there was that Tropical Storm Maria was overhead and it was proper wet! (most of the time).

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Posted 26/01/2013 - 17:56 Link
These suggestions are great guys.
The open top bus is a cert, especially when going through Time Square in early evening. USS Intrepid is a cert too.

Keep it up guys, I am compiling a list.
Some Cameras
CMW
Posted 26/01/2013 - 17:59 Link
Manhattan is magical at night of course. It may mean leaving some clothes behind (!), but a tripod would have its uses. If you feel like a change from urban Manhattan, consider taking the subway north to The Cloisters. Very tranquil, very European (as interpreted by Americans). The Rough Guide is worth getting hold of to help you gauge where to go.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
greynolds999
Posted 26/01/2013 - 18:54 Link
My advice would be not to worry and travel light. New York is a town for walking, and walking with a bag full of gear could get very tiring.

Also, the city has two seasons. Very hot and very cold. If you're going in April it could be either!

You will get fantastic photos with a wide and short zoom, depending on your style of photography. Take whatever you have and leave it in the hotel safe and walk around with a single body with the 50-135 and the 21 in your pocket.

Or buy a good compact and use that.
Edited by greynolds999: 26/01/2013 - 18:54

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.