Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New York - What to take? Any problems?

woodworm
Posted 01/01/2011 - 12:35 Link
It's my birthday next weekend and my girlfriend has surprised me with a 3 day trip to New York! I plan to take my camera along with my Sigma 17-70 and Pentax 12-24.

I've never been before so will probably do a lot of the touristy stuff like visiting the Empire State Building, etc but wondered if anyone had been there that can make any recommendations (there is just too much on Google!) and if they had any problems with the higher security in the last few years?

I was a little worried incase I wasn't allowed to take my camera in many some places and thought I may be better off with a point and shoot (not that I own one!).

Thanks
davex
Posted 01/01/2011 - 12:39 Link
I went last year, no security problems.
You must go to central park, apart from that where ever else you go will be amazing. Try shopping at B+H photo, very different from UK shops.
Your lens choice will work fine.
Enjoy your trip.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
techno-terminator
Posted 01/01/2011 - 12:51 Link
When I went over for my K-x [ Dec 2009 ] I was wandering about with it hanging round my neck

Mind you I only had one day in New York .

The cops in Grand Central in their wee electric buggies don't mind you taking their pics - they'll even ask you how you want to take it

I took pics in the Subway - no hassle

I took pics on the grounds of West Point [ their Military Academy ] no problem but I'll admit that the car I was in was searched as we entered - twice in fact .

Despite all you hear they are much more relaxed than we are

OH - take an empty case for the stuff you are bringing back and for goodness sake try Juniors Cheese cake - it's to die for [ I had some mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ]
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
woodworm
Posted 01/01/2011 - 13:07 Link
Thanks for the replies

Juniors Cheese Cake has been added to my itinerary!!!
greynolds999
Posted 01/01/2011 - 13:31 Link
Check your insurance. Some companies inisist you let them know in advance before you're covered.

The other thought is you might want a long lens for candid shots. And lots of memory cards. NY is probably the most photogenic (and photographed) city in the world.
bretti_kivi
Posted 01/01/2011 - 14:11 Link
But you can get those there - 16GB sandisks were $50 when I looked very recently

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
techno-terminator
Posted 01/01/2011 - 14:25 Link
Which is why I said take a case for the goodies

Make sure that if you get electronic stuff that it's actually in use before you bring it back .

Flatten any boxes that need to come home and send them by post .

Make sure your credit card folk know when you are going and when you return - add on a day or two at either end in case of problems . There's no chip and pin there and our CC folk think this makes for high risk of fraudulent use so they'll stop your cards at the slightest whiff of what could be a problem.

I was in the Apple Store there [ and I'd told them before I went what I was buying and where ] and after the first purchase my card was declined and I had to use one of the spare ones . Make sure you have the CC Companies phone numbers .
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Pentaxophile
Posted 01/01/2011 - 21:57 Link
My biggest quandary wouldn't be what to take so much as... what to bring back!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
JonSchick
Posted 01/01/2011 - 22:18 Link
You'll have no problems in terms of being challenged with an SLR. I recommend the Empire State at dusk, the Staten Island ferry for a free trip past the Statue of Liberty and views of Manhattan from the water, MOMA, Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum, and restaurants in the side streets around Union Square. If you're going to JFK, the subway is quite good and much cheaper than a cab.

Have a great time!

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
bretti_kivi
Posted 01/01/2011 - 22:41 Link
bretti_kivi wrote:
But you can get those there - 16GB sandisks were $50 when I looked very recently

Bret

they went up. Big time. Don't understand why, because I looked yesterday...

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
MarkD
Posted 02/01/2011 - 09:32 Link
Empire state, Statten Island ferry, Union Square farmers market on Sunday morning, Manhattan skyline at night from the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge. Shopping list!!!!
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
woodworm
Posted 02/01/2011 - 11:05 Link
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.